short question regarding 'beat jump' and 'loop set'

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
mr.ergonomics

short question regarding 'beat jump' and 'loop set'

Post by mr.ergonomics » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:36 am

hi,
since producing and live performance isn't enough for me 8) I want to dj with live in the near feature. I have to say that my first attempts looks promising, but for me there are some surprising drawbacks in live. I can't find something like 'beat jumping' and 'loop set' in live (I guess not few of you know traktor).

I know you can use 'loop position set' and 'length set' to set up a loop with the global quantisation setting, but that's very limiting. I want to to loop 2/4/8/16 bars with a single key hit (...like in traktor).

beat jumping has the same problem, you can only jump the value of the global quantisation.

this must be a known problem, since there are some ableton djs out there. or do I only overlooked something?

thx

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:15 am

checkout tarekith's dj-racks in the tipps and tricks section. He built a loop-rack that can be used like that.

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:33 pm

I've done a workaround similar to the racks, but the problem is that your audio track still plays forward. So if you loop 1 bar and play it over a period of time your track maybe finished or at a thematically unfitting position.

andrewbrewer

Re: short question regarding 'beat jump' and 'loop set'

Post by andrewbrewer » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:43 pm

mr.ergonomics wrote:hi,
since producing and live performance isn't enough for me 8) I want to dj with live in the near feature. I have to say that my first attempts looks promising, but for me there are some surprising drawbacks in live. I can't find something like 'beat jumping' and 'loop set' in live (I guess not few of you know traktor).

I know you can use 'loop position set' and 'length set' to set up a loop with the global quantisation setting, but that's very limiting. I want to to loop 2/4/8/16 bars with a single key hit (...like in traktor).

beat jumping has the same problem, you can only jump the value of the global quantisation.

this must be a known problem, since there are some ableton djs out there. or do I only overlooked something?

thx
i have never actually gone to this length, but you can midi-map the global quantization. i guess this would mean one more step than you are used to in traktor.