MY ULTRALITE JUST WENT NUCKING FUTS!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Sales Dude McBoob

Re: MY ULTRALITE JUST WENT NUCKING FUTS!

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:12 pm

aqua_tek wrote:Wow. has it been a year already? Time flew. Anyways I never had any issues with my Ultralite after that day. Must have been some weird system glitch. I don't have my Ultralite anymore. Upgraded to an RME fireface 800... but I AM missing it.

The Fireface is great, but now that I've sold a lot of gear, feels a bit like overkill. The Ultralite was ideal. Best of luck to all the XP users!
Let's not forget that RME has a discernible difference in audio quality. I can hear it as clear as day after coming from my M-Audio firewire interface, and from a Digi 002. RME just sounds better to me. I've never owned a MOTU (even though I've used them - I don't have an intimate feel for their sound), but my guess is that the audio quality on RME outshines them, that's why they charge the extra $$$ (besides the fact that RME hardware is made in Germany). I can understand how the 800 is overkill, and I can understand how you can miss a piece of gear, but let's not forget about the 400 and the sound quality of the RME converters you would be giving up by going back to China.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:59 am

From owning both MOTU and RME interfaces I can agree that the RME interfaces are superior sounding. Is it a HUUUUUUUUUUUGE difference? Meh, that's debatable. I mean, I've noticed the improvement in quality, but it's not to say that MOTU are bad interfaces to the point that one would instantly start making worse sounding tracks from switching back. I think they're the best compromise when you want to take both quality and price into account. I'd have no issues keeping the FF 800... it is a no-brainer. But if, due to economic constraints I see myself hard pressed to make such a compromise as I just described, I would go back to MOTU without flinching.

Teedub

Post by Teedub » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:00 am

I've just found a very interesting (and fresh!) thread on KVR Audio that discusses the mysterious firewire issues many people have been having with all manner of firewire interfaces, and with pc and mac alike. It also shoots down the TI chip myth, at least as it pertains to cardbus firewire cards on non-TI chipped machines. It even suggests that you're not necessarily safe even with a laptop that is equipped with an internal TI chip. Definitely worth reading if you're not one of the lucky ones who've had great experiences with firewire:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3628415

I have a TI-chipset firewire cardbus, uh, card which I have used in my (I believe) non-TI-internally-chipped laptop and can vouch for the fact that it didn't make a lick of positive difference, though it did give me an interestingly different and new flavor of static and popping than the built-in 4-pin FW400 port when the Ultralite inevitably ate dirt.

So what are my options? WELLLL... I start to wonder if something like the RME Multiface 2 Expresscard bundle is the magic bullet to put this monster to rest. I believe that this may be the next thing I try if no one can tell me any horrible reason to avoid the product - other than the fact that after you've already spent around $1200 for the system, you still have to shell out more money if you want to have separate headphone and Master hardware volume knobs (!). But JUMPING JESUS ON A POGO STICK if it'll end the torment, I'll friggin' do it. I mean, I'll put up with a lot of finicky BS if it means my system doesn't puke on itself several times a day.

Avoid USB and firewire completely? It just might do the trick, right? Right?

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:07 am

aqua_tek wrote:From owning both MOTU and RME interfaces I can agree that the RME interfaces are superior sounding. Is it a HUUUUUUUUUUUGE difference? Meh, that's debatable. I mean, I've noticed the improvement in quality, but it's not to say that MOTU are bad interfaces to the point that one would instantly start making worse sounding tracks from switching back. I think they're the best compromise when you want to take both quality and price into account. I'd have no issues keeping the FF 800... it is a no-brainer. But if, due to economic constraints I see myself hard pressed to make such a compromise as I just described, I would go back to MOTU without flinching.
Word. I have to sell some stuff now too. There is so much new crap that I want. MBP. APC. New Monitor. And more. I can't blow all that cash, so I'm going to let go of some non-essentials.

But I'd have a hard time knowing that I'm letting go of something that I know for certain is getting me a better sound. Almost all of pro audio is subtleties. A $5000 preamp really only sounds subtly better than a $1200 one. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. I'm just saying that I wouldn't.

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:23 am

Teedub wrote:I've just found a very interesting (and fresh!) thread... It just might do the trick, right? Right?
There is no magic bullet. You can go back to analog tape, but after a year you'll have to get the deck serviced and the repair will cost you $300.

The MultiFace II could work out well for you, but, sadly, I must say that it didn't work for me. I'm in the process of swapping it out for a Fireface 400. For whatever reason, the PCI card and my computer just didn't get along:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KC_1-Vjoxw

The reason to go with an RME system is the sound. I love the sound. It's reason enough for me. Have I had my last headache? No. You will never have your last headache. Steve Jobs would like you to think otherwise, but reality is a bit more harsh.

If you want a magic bullet, get into table tennis. The technology behind the ping pong tables and balls is pretty well ironed out at this stage. If you want to do computer audio, accept the mortal bullets and keep swimming.

Teedub

Post by Teedub » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:54 am

You ding-dong. I knew if I said the words "magic bullet" someone would get snarky, but I had to go and hit Submit anyway.
I'll bet even you know I don't expect to never have a headache again. All I ask is that my interface doesn't completely shit its pants all the damn time like this Ultralite. Hell, even what you've got going on with that Multiface would be less of a disaster in a live show than what happens with this thing.

...not that it wasn't educational. Good luck with the Fireface.

Teedub

Post by Teedub » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:01 am

Geeze though, that Multi seems like it could just be a faulty unit. Or is this just the latest one in a series that exhibits the same behavior?

Walkingmachine

Post by Walkingmachine » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:20 am

i have 2 ultralites and they have both been rock solid...u guys are making me nervous

Illum

Post by Illum » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:29 am

i know. not 1 hiccup in 3 years. fingers crossed.
illumeaudio.com
myspace/illiacsound

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:47 am

Teedub wrote:Geeze though, that Multi seems like it could just be a faulty unit. Or is this just the latest one in a series that exhibits the same behavior?
It was an anomaly. When I first got it I immediately had weird errors. I shipped the Multiface and the PCI Card to RME. They checked it out, loaded the latest flash drivers or something, and said they were perfect. When they came back I soon realized I had a different problem from the original issue. Now instead of having errors in the first few minutes it worked perfectly for two hours then suddenly everything went to shit. I tried everything they suggested, and nothing fixed it.

RME had never had someone with the same issues I experienced. I had scoured the user community endlessly, and I never found a single person who was using a Multiface with OSX Tiger 10.4.11. You are better off with an RME cardbus system using a Windows PC, rather than a Mac. Just like you're likely better off using a Mac with a MOTU. Both manufacturers dip their beaks in both ponds, but they both spend more time in one pool than the other.

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:59 am

n/m

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:15 am

Sales Dude McBoob wrote:I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. I'm just saying that I wouldn't.
Oh absolutely, I get your point. As I said, I'm trying my damnedest to hold on to some of my "best of the best" gear, which includes the FF 800.

I won't get rid of it until I REALLY find myself between a rock and a hard place. IF I do find myself in that position anytime soon, then obviously I'll have to consider some more cost-efficient alternatives. And among those, I think MOTU is one of the best.

Teedub

Post by Teedub » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:28 pm

Walkingmachine and Illum:

Sorry to make you guys nervous. From what I'm able to gather, you probably don't need to be at all. It does seem like a lot of people are having problems with these things, but the ones that aren't, aren't, if that makes sense - I really think it may be just that there's something fishy going on with firewire chipsets these days and the whole no-one-is-using-the-TI-chipset-anymore thing is part of the problem. If you're going to have issues, I'd bet that it'll be when you get a new computer with a new firewire chipset and hook it up to your old interface(s).

the shaman

Post by the shaman » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:26 pm

hey teedub- did you ever get a handle on that motu situation. my setup is similiar to yours & it spazzed out on me too. check your PM & hit me up. thanks.
**HIGHER GROUND PRODUCTIONS"- Livebook 320 GB Laptop/KOMPLETE 5/KORE 2/MASCHINE/AKAI MPK 49/MBOX 2 MINI/ABLETON LIVE 8.2 SUITE

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:21 pm

hmmm...
was going to ditch my m-audio nrv10 and pick up a ultralite mk3...