Anyone know about patchbays?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
love_chemistry

Post by love_chemistry » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:00 pm

CITYSTATE wrote:You can send all hardware ins/outs to a patchbay. It just makes physical patching easier.

Your tracks in Live would be sent to hardware outputs of your interface. Those outputs would be put on a patchbay.

--

I have a lot of experience with patchbays, so if somebody wants to post their gear I could show how I'd set it up. That might be easier than trying to explain the concepts generally.
Now! that is a nice guy! Cheers
unabletoo.......

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:56 pm

CITYSTATE wrote: I have a lot of experience with patchbays, so if somebody wants to post their gear I could show how I'd set it up. That might be easier than trying to explain the concepts generally.
I would REALLY appreciate this!

This is a list of gear I will have soon. I have a lot of stuff listed here, but not all of it. I want to set up the patchbay to work with all of this gear because I'll have it all soon. I have not bought the patchbay yet either.

Gear:

Main preamps + soundcard = RME Multiface II + OctaMic II

Compressors = two Distressor EL8's, one Joe Meek VC2, perhaps two more nice compressors in the future

Super awesome preamps = a Summit Audio TPA-200B

Additional preamps = DBX 586, M-Audio Octane

Additional D/A outputs - Behringer Ultragain Pro-8

Monitor control = Presonus Central Station

Effects racks = T.C. Electronic FireworX, Lexicon MX400, Sansui RA-500

DI = Avalon U5

I have lots and lots of guitar pedals that I want to be able to route in easily. All told, there will be 16 analog inputs in Live, and 16 analog outputs from Live. Trying to wrap your head around this is really difficult!

The preamp mic inputs are on the back of the preamps. I imagine I'll need a snake + box, yes?

Very much appreciated!
Sam

randrohe

Post by randrohe » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:22 pm

A patchbay will also save wear on the in/out jacks.

stratusseeker

Post by stratusseeker » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:15 pm

I've been wondering about this forever. How to get all of my guitar pedals, effects, synths up and running in a way that I can use them all at once and in different order and combination if I want to. Sounds like a patchbay may be the right idea!

I'd love to hear more about how people are using them.