Anyone know about patchbays?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
downfader

Anyone know about patchbays?

Post by downfader » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:31 pm

I have an old balanced Neutrik patchbay that I never used and I've decided to get it plugged in and wired up and have some proper fun. Trouble is I realistically need to be able to wire EVERYTHING up, dont I, or its not worth it.

So that means I need more patchbays, atleast 2 units of 48way I reckon. What are good makes? Anyone know? I had been told back in the day never to buy behringer as they were a bit crap but I see they now do balanced ones:

http://www.dv247.com/invt/24364/ For 36 quid how could I lose?

CITYSTATE

Post by CITYSTATE » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:14 pm

The 1/4" Neutrik bays are around $50. I've had these for years and haven't had any problems.

The 1/4" on both sides makes it easy to rearrange or add gear.

downfader

Post by downfader » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:10 pm

Yeah rather annoyingly I cant get the neutrik ones over here. Might ask the local shop if they can import when the time comes to order. :?

CITYSTATE

Post by CITYSTATE » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:12 pm

you can order them from redco.com

abletoff

Post by abletoff » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:30 am

Anyone can come up with an idea on how to wire a patchbay in a studio? I' d really know how to set one up havig, for esample, some preamps, some fx and some synth, to route them around to Live without much hassle.
I'm really venturing in the patchbay world right now, so I don't have a clue!
Live 9 Suite, audio trackles (several audio tracks that crackle)

downfader

Post by downfader » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:58 am

abletoff wrote:Anyone can come up with an idea on how to wire a patchbay in a studio? I' d really know how to set one up havig, for esample, some preamps, some fx and some synth, to route them around to Live without much hassle.
I'm really venturing in the patchbay world right now, so I don't have a clue!
The basic options I would/will use is to get your mixer connected up to the back (balanced cables) of the patchbay, using the patchbay as a thru. Then I'm also connecting all the synths up, fx, etc. When I need to wire something in I'll just take the patch lead and connect it.

You can also connect them up (I forget the phrasing here :oops: ) so that certain things are wired into the mixer ready, and you can change the routing from the front with patch leads.

Google for audio patchbays and stuff and you get loads of info come up. Loads of tips. :wink:

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:33 pm

Sorry, just because behringer makes balanced patchbays, doesn't mean they make GOOD balanced patchbays.

Avoid 'em. Their connections are spotty, the plugs tend to wiggle. I had one that I threw in the garbage, because I couldn't bring myself to selling it to some poor sap on ebay.

I replaced it with a dbx PB-48. That was solid, but since I went all software I gave it to a friend. But I do hear that ADP and Neutrik are also solid quality.

downfader

Post by downfader » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:45 pm

M. Bréqs wrote:Sorry, just because behringer makes balanced patchbays, doesn't mean they make GOOD balanced patchbays.

Avoid 'em. Their connections are spotty, the plugs tend to wiggle. I had one that I threw in the garbage, because I couldn't bring myself to selling it to some poor sap on ebay.

I replaced it with a dbx PB-48. That was solid, but since I went all software I gave it to a friend. But I do hear that ADP and Neutrik are also solid quality.
Hmm they do appear to be selling a lot of them though. :lol: I read a while back that some of the Samson devices were licensed behringer copies, does make me wonder if the balanced samson one is like that, but the consumer is being charged more. :lol:

I'll ask when I'm next in the shop (not too long hopefully) if he can get the neutrik ones in, or equivilent. :D

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:41 pm

downfader wrote:nect it.

You can also connect them up (I forget the phrasing here :oops: ) so that certain things are wired into the mixer ready, and you can change the routing from the front with patch leads.
We used to say that it was "normalled" - but I don't know if that is the technically correct term.

The top jack normalled to the bottom jack (or v.v.??) unless you broke the signal with a cable.

downfader

Post by downfader » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:17 pm

longjohns wrote:
downfader wrote:nect it.

We used to say that it was "normalled" - but I don't know if that is the technically correct term.

The top jack normalled to the bottom jack (or v.v.??) unless you broke the signal with a cable.
Sounds right enough to me :)

abletoff

Post by abletoff » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:10 pm

downfader wrote: The basic options I would/will use is to get your mixer connected up to the back (balanced cables) of the patchbay, using the patchbay as a thru. Then I'm also connecting all the synths up, fx, etc. When I need to wire something in I'll just take the patch lead and connect it.

Google for audio patchbays and stuff and you get loads of info come up. Loads of tips. :wink:
I've realized I'm really really dumb when it comes to patchbays :) Some sort of drawing/scheme would help, i'll try to google around. I've the sensation there is a lot of wasted resources in my studio, I mean I've got some devices but being a total amateur, no smart way to connect them together. I've got a cheap patchbay, i'd like to to domething astounding with it (astounding to me that's it) but I can't see how. I've become comfortably dumb :D

CITYSTATE

Post by CITYSTATE » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:34 pm

Here is how my patchbays are setup...

Outs over Ins. Top row is always outputs, bottom row is always inputs.

I have a snake that runs to the preamp inputs so that is normalled. That means that the signal will always flow from the snake to the input without a patch cable. Top row is snake, bottom is preamp input.

The preamp outputs are normalled to my a/d convertor inputs. When I have a mic plugged in the signal will go to the preamp and then to the convertor without any patch cables. Top row preamp output, bottom convertor input.

Outboard is not normalled. It is still output on top, input on bottom. It is not normalled because you wouldn't want a compressor sending signal to itself.

To patch in a compressor to my input I would put a cable from preamp output to compressor input and then another cable from compressor output to convertor input.

Patchbays are one of those things where you'll just 'get it' one day. Just try to visualize the signal flow and say it out loud to yourself.

love_chemistry

Post by love_chemistry » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:06 pm

Sorry! am i to believe that i can send each track to an indiviual channel of a patch bay or am i lost here sorry once again
unabletoo.......

CITYSTATE

Post by CITYSTATE » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:29 pm

You can send all hardware ins/outs to a patchbay. It just makes physical patching easier.

Your tracks in Live would be sent to hardware outputs of your interface. Those outputs would be put on a patchbay.

--

I have a lot of experience with patchbays, so if somebody wants to post their gear I could show how I'd set it up. That might be easier than trying to explain the concepts generally.

abletoff

Post by abletoff » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:33 pm

you guys are all great... i'll post my setup soon... thanks for the moment, i'm getting my head round it