250gb/5,400 rpm VS. 200gb/7,200 rpm

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Timur

Post by Timur » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:24 am

Like I said, try to circumvent harddrive usage by using the RAM button with clips and see if that has any positive effect on your Live performance. If not then a faster drive wont help, if yes then go for it, but consider using an external 3.5" drive instead for even faster performance.

OT: R.J. here's the link (I used the search function to find it ;)). There are actually three different solutions and the Transport Buttons do work with them. 8)

forge

Post by forge » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:27 am

Timur wrote:Like I said, try to circumvent harddrive usage by using the RAM button with clips and see if that has any positive effect on your Live performance. If not then a faster drive wont help, if yes then go for it, but consider using an external 3.5" drive instead for even faster performance.

OT: R.J. here's the link (I used the search function to find it ;)). There are actually three different solutions and the Transport Buttons do work with them. 8)
assuming you have adequate RAM - otherwise the lack of RAM may have a different adverse effect on performance

Timur

Post by Timur » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:30 am

You're right, but if you're missing RAM then it's not a question wether to buy a faster or bigger drive, but wether to buy more RAM. :D But in R.J.'s case I assume he's thinking about buying a new Macbook Pro (I'll wait for January until they announce the new ones with the new Intel processors). If you don't have to care for battery life then go for 7200rpm and make it 4gb right away. Later you can add some big external drive for more storage.

BASSbüro

Post by BASSbüro » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:25 am

@ timur: so is there a fast way to put all your clips in ram-mode? or have i go through all my clips (at least 100) an put each clip in ram-mode? i'm a lazy person.....he, he. :)
regards,
thom

forge

Post by forge » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:42 am

BASSbüro wrote:@ timur: so is there a fast way to put all your clips in ram-mode? or have i go through all my clips (at least 100) an put each clip in ram-mode? i'm a lazy person.....he, he. :)
just select them all first

BASSbüro

Post by BASSbüro » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:51 am

forge, r u sure? mark all clips, go inside one clip, hit "ram-mode" and all other clips we'll be in "ram-mode", too?

cool........ :D
regards,
thom

glu

Post by glu » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:45 pm

forge wrote:
Timur wrote:Like I said, try to circumvent harddrive usage by using the RAM button with clips and see if that has any positive effect on your Live performance. If not then a faster drive wont help, if yes then go for it, but consider using an external 3.5" drive instead for even faster performance.

assuming you have adequate RAM - otherwise the lack of RAM may have a different adverse effect on performance
Do you think a new macbook with 4gb ram and 200GB 7200RPM HD would outperform a stock macbook pro?
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

Timur

Post by Timur » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:50 pm

glu wrote:Do you think a new macbook with 4gb ram and 200GB 7200RPM HD would outperform a stock macbook pro?
Using the same processor? Maybe... Macbooks need to share RAM with the graphic-chip which will steal bandwidth from applications (like Live). Also I am not sure wether you can trust a Macbook in its plastic chassis to remain stable when performing on a hot stage.

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:17 pm

R.J.Dubya wrote:
wilxon wrote:i will be upgrading my hard drive soon - at the same time i change over to leopard.

I will be going for the new Western Digital 250gb 5400rpm intelliseek.

I may wait a month or so to get the 320gb one.

i think spare hard space = :lol:
Are you going to install it in your current machine?

Are you saying there will be an option for a 320gb drive in the macbook pros in a month, or there is one coming out separately you're thinking of that you will buy and install?

edit: Sorry, just read it again - Western Digital intelliseek will come out with a 320gb soon I guess. I'm brain dead today.

Yes - my MBP is coming to the end of its warranty in december - so there isnt anything to void.

You need a tool to undo the screws round the sides and then take out the keyboard & mouse panel, then unplug existing and connect new.

Western digital is advertising a 2.5" SATA 320GB intelliseek internal hard drive. 5400rpm.

I will doing it myself yes.

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:20 pm

glu wrote:
forge wrote:

Do you think a new macbook with 4gb ram and 200GB 7200RPM HD would outperform a stock macbook pro?
With the same processor yes, but you will need a new macbook to compare to an old MBP.

My answer is there fore NO.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:21 pm

Timur wrote:
glu wrote:Do you think a new macbook with 4gb ram and 200GB 7200RPM HD would outperform a stock macbook pro?
Using the same processor? Maybe... Macbooks need to share RAM with the graphic-chip which will steal bandwidth from applications (like Live). Also I am not sure wether you can trust a Macbook in its plastic chassis to remain stable when performing on a hot stage.
it does, a friend of mine, funk d'void is using a black MB since a year now... more then every weekend across the world under very different circumstances... it did not let him down once.
*** Image GAFM ***

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:24 pm

Timur wrote:
might start melting :lol:

Same goes for ANY laptop other than a macbook Pro or Powerbook :lol:

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:26 pm

SubFunk wrote:
Timur wrote:
it does, a friend of mine, funk d'void is using a black MB since a year now... more then every weekend across the world under very different circumstances... it did not let him down once.

Timur said HOT stage

:lol:

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:28 pm

wilxon wrote:
SubFunk wrote:
Timur wrote: Using the same processor? Maybe... Macbooks need to share RAM with the graphic-chip which will steal bandwidth from applications (like Live). Also I am not sure wether you can trust a Macbook in its plastic chassis to remain stable when performing on a hot stage.

Timur said HOT stage

:lol:
only thing i know, is... when lars plays it gets hoter then hot :D :lol: :D
*** Image GAFM ***

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:31 pm

my opinion on the MB vs MBP argument is that you get what you pay for.

MB - lower CPU, lower Ram, Lower battery power, lower HD space, low on features = LOW ON PRICE

MBP - High CPU power, high RAM, LOnger lasting battery, Large HD, Extra features (backlit keyboard, metal casing, firewire 800, etc) = HIGH PRICE

So, get the most expensive one you can afford.