i know u fanboys love this...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djritchie

i know u fanboys love this...

Post by djritchie » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:36 am

My honeymoon period is over, i switched from fl-studio to ableton thinking it was the next step up... Ive spent the last 2months learning how to use ableton as a DAW but im sorry. It just wont do half the stuff fl studio can without a million and 1 work arounds. Last nite i went back to my old stomping ground and i loved it. Ive obviously learnt a lot on my journey but im afraid ableton just dont cut it as a DAW. I know it aint really meant to but its relation between the mixer and arrangement page, limitations on automation and automation lanes are just haulting my progress all too quickly!! As a mixing tool ableton is unbeatable but as a DAW...Sorry - a complete re-design is needed, i just aint fussed with the session view 1 bit!

bring back the fruit!

and bring on the fan boy back-lash!

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:43 am

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

djritchie

Post by djritchie » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:49 am

lol - ive been on journey!! just wanted to tell my story!! ive even tried cubase sx 3 and sonar thinking i needed more! work flow wise u just cant beat fruity!! Live is great but things annoy me - like the piano roll window - why is it so fuckin hard to understand - the grid is just strange! hurts my eyes! why cant u transpose a riff up down 1 octave by just holdin a function button?? just annoys me - i gave it a good try but i cant do it no more!! 1 thing i am missing is the effects tho - shame i cant get them working alone in fruity.

mosca

Post by mosca » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:23 am

why not just use both at the same time?

djritchie

Post by djritchie » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:43 am

yeh ive dabbled with that, not totally sure about the re-wire aspect or using fl as a vst tho at the mo. I havent got rid of it, i just wish ableton wud re-work live as a DAW. As i said - every1 here bangs on about how great the session view is. I dont use it at all, to me its just the mixer view but very awkward! perhaps we need LIVE for Live! and another version as a main DAW. Like fruity tho its all about workflow which makes both LIVE and FL stand out from the crowd against total solutions such as cubase, logic and sonar etc. - im not dissing anything here just pointing out what i dont like about certain programs!

scottwallis

Post by scottwallis » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:56 am

I never use session view either but im well happy with what i can do in the arrangement view...

Maybe u are just too used to Fruity Loops now that u are finding it hard to adjust to a new DAW.

I know a guy who changed over from Fruity to Live 6...he struggled for a bit until he worked his way around ableton....now he loves it..

blank

Post by blank » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:12 pm

It's all a question of taste

Myself I think fl studio is a total piece of shit covered with an ugly gui design and with fruit devices name to cover the smell of the worst summing bus on earth.

And the workflow is horrible.

like I said

all a question of taste

-B
feug.net -:- virb.com/feug

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:17 pm

If you are so happy and adapted to FL, don't change, man!
Sequencer changes should only be made when we're not productive with the one we have.

djritchie

Post by djritchie » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:18 pm

blank wrote:It's all a question of taste

Myself I think fl studio is a total piece of shit covered with an ugly gui design and with fruit devices name to cover the smell of the worst summing bus on earth.

like I said

all a question of taste

-B
Well done - what an instantly disgregardable comment!!!! You obviously know sweet FA. I reckon your head is like your name on here.

djritchie

Post by djritchie » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:20 pm

yeh i wanted 2 change due to being stuck in a rut. Ableton was the best choice. It's just tiny things that annoy me. (well the BIGGEST thing being the 128 parameters thing WTF!!) very annoying!! And also when i drag a sample into the arrangement i hav no control over its ADSR without loading it thru a drum machine / sampler first.

blank

Post by blank » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:33 pm

djritchie wrote:
blank wrote:It's all a question of taste

like I said

all a question of taste

-B
Well done - what an instantly disgregardable comment!!!! You obviously know sweet FA. I reckon your head is like your name on here.

So ableton users cannot tell their opinion about your fav sequencer but «YOU» can for an unknow reason that only « YOU » know.

Change your nick for Mao, it will suite you well.

[sarcasm]I was so pleased when I was reading your post.[/sarcasm]

My point is you can use what you want for the reason you want I don't give a fuck.

I simply have a different opinion about fl ( as you can see). It has nothing to see with you.
feug.net -:- virb.com/feug

djritchie

Post by djritchie » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:45 pm

if you need to use comments like "a total piece of shit" to bring the discussion down to your level then fine - go ahead. I will disregard it completely though! also i am well educated and therefore do not need sarcasm pointed out to me ( u r obviously new to it ) xx

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:11 pm

and bring on the fan boy back-lash!
So thats less provocative or a more sensible thing to say then calling software a piece of shit?

You might as well have ended with "I'm bait, bite me".

I'm not really to fussed about peoples preferences. I got other stuff to keep myself occupied with. I do however do not see the need for people trying to subtly diss Ableton and their users.

If FL is so great, go proclaim your love on their forum instead of trying to battle other users on here.
If we're fanboys, what does that make you?
And how far do you think you're going to get with saying how great FL is, even though the programmers are unable to port it to osx.
Yes, Live has some stuff missing. It'll always be that way.
How do I make a rack in FL using my audiounits?

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:13 pm

don't post flame bait if you don't want to be flamed.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

udp

Post by udp » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:13 pm

djritchie wrote:yeh i wanted 2 change due to being stuck in a rut. Ableton was the best choice. It's just tiny things that annoy me. (well the BIGGEST thing being the 128 parameters thing WTF!!) very annoying!! And also when i drag a sample into the arrangement i hav no control over its ADSR without loading it thru a drum machine / sampler first.
Clip envelopes? In all honesty, you've only given 2 months to learn Live. There are some of us here who've been using it since ver.1 (1.5 for me), that still don't have a handle on all the complexity of Live. I've learned to use it my way, which is COMPLETELY different than others. Live has that flexibility. Come bitch about Live after a year or 2.
OS X.5 MacBook Core 2Duo 2.2ghz, 2Gig RAM Mackie Onyx 400F m-audio BX8's, Oxygen 8, Zoom H-4, Alesis Masterlink, Bitstream 3x
http://www.udpmusic.com