TOTAL KONTROL PACKAGE from Kontrol Freqs

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
BeatPsychic

Post by BeatPsychic » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:44 am

I couldn't believe that someone complained about this being 50 bucks... Seriously? I understand that it may be a bit of money for some, but if you were to program all of this yourself, I would imagine it could take in upwards of 40 hours? And that is if you didn't have to figure it all out as a flowchart. All in all I would imagine this could take 100+ hours to program and test. Divide that by 50 bucks, and whoa! you get 50 cents an hour. I know a few homeless people that make more than 50 cents an hour.......

Great product!! And can't wait to get my PK up and running so I can get this piece of soft for it... Keep it up, and just to let you know...it was because I had seen your demo vids of the padKontrol that made me get one(i was originally looking at the Trigger Finger, and I hadn't heard of the pK until seeing your vids...Thanks!)

kenporter

Post by kenporter » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:36 am

BeatPsychic wrote:I couldn't believe that someone complained about this being 50 bucks... Seriously? I understand that it may be a bit of money for some, but if you were to program all of this yourself, I would imagine it could take in upwards of 40 hours? And that is if you didn't have to figure it all out as a flowchart. All in all I would imagine this could take 100+ hours to program and test. Divide that by 50 bucks, and whoa! you get 50 cents an hour. I know a few homeless people that make more than 50 cents an hour.......
That was me who "complaint" I guess. Well, $50 isn't really a lot of money, but I felt it was for a little 3rd party controller software. I am still gonna get it since I was told that I can use it on both of my computers, my studio and live machines.
Anyway, your calculation is quite amazing. If they would sell 1 copy of it then yes, it would be 50 cents an hour (if it took 100 hours to program). I doubt anyone would program software for that. ;) No worries, I am not trying to start anything here.

Ken

CR78

Post by CR78 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:20 am

Man, I was so on the fence with the PadKontrol vs MPD24. The egg now begins to tip....;)

BeatPsychic

Post by BeatPsychic » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:12 am

My apologies for the rant earlier, I just hate to see hard work go unappreciated... not intended to start anything...

If anyone grabs this before myself and could post on their feelings/ initial review, I would be thankful!

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:59 am

Is this all based on a template? Meaning you can only use it in projects built in the template? Therefore hard to use on older projects?

Cool stuff though.

Timur

Post by Timur » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:11 am

As far as I understand it's stand-alone software that does about the same as if you were programming alot of data mapping in a software like Midi-Ox. It translates the incoming notes/CC/Sysex of a Padkontrol to other notes/CC/Sysex plus keyboard-commands (sometimes a whole row of key commands, like opening a menu in Live, going down with the cursor several times, chosing a submenu, going right into the submenu and there chosing a command that has no keyboard-shortcut in Live). It also feedbacks Sysex into the Padkontrol to make its pads lid up according to the current control-set you're using.

You can set this up on your own with some freeware software, but it takes quite some time. On the other hand you can customize it to your own needs than and use it as a template for other hardware-controllers. For most people paying 50 bucks to get a full-working solution that has been tested in practice is surely the better option. 50$ may seem quite much compared to alot of other software out there, but bare in mind that this is a two-person company just in the beginning.

Personally I will most likely wait for Mac support first (even when not owning a Mac yet), because I don't want to get used to a system that may not carry over to my surely coming to be bought Mac. Also I'm blessed with a Midi-footcontroller and Remote SL which give me plenty of control already.

selthym

Post by selthym » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:00 pm

This gets a mention on the Bomes midi translator website which has just been updated with new versions.

Timur

Post by Timur » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:27 pm

Since this seems to be using Bome's Midi Translator's MT Player a Mac version will have to wait until Bome's Midi Translator is ported to Mac it seems. Fortunately it is in the doing according to Bome's site.

Does anyone know if Bome's Midi Translator (or MT Player which seems to be used here) runs on VMware or Parallels?
Last edited by Timur on Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wildcon

Post by wildcon » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:43 pm

Will this still work with Live 7 ??
MacBook Pro, Mojave, Live 10, Logic Pro X, UAD Apollo & Satellites, UAD, NI Komplete, Izotope, Korg, Audio Damage, Fabfilter, Waves plugs.

metastatik

Post by metastatik » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:51 pm

Hey guys, thanks for taking a look at our package. Let me address a couple issues that were raised here.

Yes, this is based on a template for some of the mapping. A lot of things TKP is able to control aren’t MIDI mappable though, so they’d be useable with any template. Any of the menu related controls, the arrow pads and edit pads (copy, paste, delete, dupe) are some examples. A lot of these same controls are useable with other applications as well.

Will this work in Live 7? It hasn’t been tested with Live 7. But we do plan on making a version specifically for Live 7 (to be released within one month of Live 7’s release), which will be offered as a free upgrade to current TKP owners.

Just so you have an idea of what the future holds…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9jgQEh4c0A

That gives you a quick overview of the Native Mode hack we’re working on. A couple things aren’t mentioned. For one, in Volume mode, you can control the volume/pan of tracks, returns and the master. In Sends mode, you can control the sends on tracks and returns. None of the pads are talked about because they are set up pretty similar to the current TKP.

Not sure exactly what the plan for this version is yet but, at the very least, it will be provided at a discount to current TKP owners.

wildcon

Post by wildcon » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:26 pm

Hi There,

Definitely interested in this. My PK has been fairly dormant as I've not had time to program it!

I'll hang on until the Live 7 version is out, as I'll be getting 7 as soon as poss, and will prob stop using 6.

Keep up the good work guys :D :D
MacBook Pro, Mojave, Live 10, Logic Pro X, UAD Apollo & Satellites, UAD, NI Komplete, Izotope, Korg, Audio Damage, Fabfilter, Waves plugs.

selthym

Post by selthym » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:33 pm

Make sure you check the other videos by stray on youtube...

I am happy to pay the $50 as the creators videos have helped me immensly, not just with the PK but with creating tunes in general.

f.m.

Post by f.m. » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:44 pm

Is there the manual somewhere? I'd like to read it before install anything. thank you!
Another question: the volume and pan knobs affect the selected track or how do they work?

beatpoet

Post by beatpoet » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:31 pm

Looks great Keith, might just put in for a pad kontrol for xmas, will prob still hang onto the TF for triggering beats.

edit: Dang, PC only :(

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:16 pm

the Native Mode hack looks brilliant. i'll be snapping that up when it's out.