Surfer dude comes up with plausible Unified Theory

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:00 am

Vercengetorex wrote:
sweetjesus wrote:theres something inheirantly creepy and scary about the LHC.

im all for science but something about it scares me..
Yeah, its gonna be just like Half-Life. 8O
just check the staff list at LHC for someone named Gordon Freeman

Vercengetorex

Post by Vercengetorex » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:28 am

I cant think of a sig

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:44 am

personally I love the quote
Lisi's breakthrough came when he noticed that some of the equations describing E8's structure matched his own. "My brain exploded with the implications and the beauty of the thing," he tells New Scientist. "I thought: 'Holy crap, that's it!'"

I can imagine it now.

3:32 am, Lisi apartment
Garrett Lisi " hey darling , hey, hey Angela wake up ... I've just figured out something amazing. No , really, I mean it. wake up."

Angela : " what the fuuu... huh, what time is , oh shit you've got to be kidding me .."

Garret : " No no listen, listen ...You know how I was telling you about that 8 dimensional geometric object that encapsulates the symmetries of a 57-dimensional and is itself 248-dimensional ? do you remember? huh? what do you mean fuck off?"

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:53 am

Well, fuck. Lets just hope that Live 7 is released before November 26th 2007 then. 8O
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:27 am

Pitch Black wrote:
nebulae wrote:mcfuffin - Definition: in film, a plot device that has no specific meaning or purpose other than to advance the story; any situation that motivates the action of a film either artificially or substantively
Neb Neb Neb. Thats McGuffin

Sheesh! :roll:
Neb was using the Bollywood term, coined by the famous director Achmed Hitchcojkamakarajakharan.

no doubt surfer scientist dude gets the wicked one hit wheelchair weed.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:09 am

Good sound/visual edit on that doco btw, thanks.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:16 am

muthafunka wrote:
Good sound/visual edit on that doco btw, thanks.
yeah very well put together !

one comment on youtube sticks out:

"has anyone stopped to think maybe the reason the galaxy is nt teaming with intelligent life is that every civilisation gets to a point that they do this experiment and wipe themselves out "

forge

Post by forge » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:18 am

sweetjesus wrote: they said surfer because its the USA, if it was Canada they woulda said snowboarded, if it was a local Aussie guy we would have said he works for the council.
or because they are journalists and have to try and make to a bit more interesting

just like how the drama and tone of that Horizon youtube link is all about "they could make a black hole that swallows us all!!!" then when he asks one of them he looks at him like he's insane and reassures him it's incredibly unlikely

the dude is "Doctor" Garrett, but I guess that would be too obvious :lol:

I just wish I understood any of it

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:35 am

forge wrote:
sweetjesus wrote: they said surfer because its the USA, if it was Canada they woulda said snowboarded, if it was a local Aussie guy we would have said he works for the council.
or because they are journalists and have to try and make to a bit more interesting

just like how the drama and tone of that Horizon youtube link is all about "they could make a black hole that swallows us all!!!" then when he asks one of them he looks at him like he's insane and reassures him it's incredibly unlikely

the dude is "Doctor" Garrett, but I guess that would be too obvious :lol:

I just wish I understood any of it
yes we know the 'dude' has a PhD in theoretical physics or some bullshit, but doesnt mean that a guy with no real scientific facilities, infra structure or colleagues to bounce ideas with has caused a stir.

not the first time, but the biggest in the press.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:57 am

Thanks for that link, particle and theorectical physics are two things I follow a lot, and I hadn't seen that show yet.

andydes

Post by andydes » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:58 am

forge wrote: just like how the drama and tone of that Horizon youtube link is all about "they could make a black hole that swallows us all!!!" then when he asks one of them he looks at him like he's insane and reassures him it's incredibly unlikely
So how unlikely is incredibly unlikely? 1:1000? 1:1000000? And who gets to decide if it's an acceptable risk?

Not that I understood a hell of a lot of his paper, but from what I gather, the E8 has 248 dimensions, but the universe itself just has the standard 4. So he's found a way of unifying the theories without making up extra dimensions just to make the maths work.

Quality, back to a nice simple universe with none of that star trek crap about wormholes, time travel etc. This is how it should be. I like it.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:18 pm

FFS, would somebody go pick up Marvin at the restaurant parking lot please?
And don't forget the tip.

"Live, don't talk to me about Live..."

Patch

Post by Patch » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:37 pm

All this comotion over a spirograph doodle???

smartass303

Post by smartass303 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:45 pm

Patch wrote:All this comotion over a spirograph doodle???
:)
Instant classic....

onehandstand

Post by onehandstand » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:27 pm

thanks for posting, interesting stuff