Logic 8 elastic audio?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hat

Logic 8 elastic audio?

Post by hat » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:55 am

I never would have thought ProTools would win this race, with 7.4 it seems they took they most fun aspect of Live and implemented into PT. Warp markers, stretching to the tempo, changing pitch, etc., all the fun and quick audio mangling Live can do.
The irony is I switched to Logic days before this PT upgrade came out, the 002R is out and made room for an Apogee Ensemble with Logic 8. I love it and no regrets thus far, yet I do feel Logic should implement the same feature, or perhaps not, as I can always rewire Live into it, but it would be nice to have it all in one place.

Yes, Logic is flexible with time stretching on Apple Loops and Rex files, but I love that in Live, I can take any sample, a drum loop, a drone, a piano part, and just pitch it down 2 octaves if I want by turning the little pitch dial, and not go through some fucked up menus with origin and destination pitching, and then process, and then hear the results, just like moving warp markers around if a loop or recording has some air before the 1 beat, and so on....ayieee....let's hope for this in a future upgrade?

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:56 pm

I never would have thought ProTools would win this race, with 7.4 it seems they took they most fun aspect of Live and implemented into PT. Warp markers, stretching to the tempo, changing pitch, etc., all the fun and quick audio mangling Live can do.
The irony is I switched to Logic days before this PT upgrade came out, the 002R is out and made room for an Apogee Ensemble with Logic 8. I love it and no regrets thus far, yet I do feel Logic should implement the same feature, or perhaps not, as I can always rewire Live into it, but it would be nice to have it all in one place.

Yes, Logic is flexible with time stretching on Apple Loops and Rex files, but I love that in Live, I can take any sample, a drum loop, a drone, a piano part, and just pitch it down 2 octaves if I want by turning the little pitch dial, and not go through some fucked up menus with origin and destination pitching, and then process, and then hear the results, just like moving warp markers around if a loop or recording has some air before the 1 beat, and so on....ayieee....let's hope for this in a future upgrade?

A lot of DAWs are getting something like this now.

Sonar has had AudioSnap and GrooveClips for a while. And audiosnap is pretty similar to Live, although it has more advanced algorithms for offline processing where Live is more designed for realtime.

hat

Post by hat » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:53 pm

exactly, i guess 'realtime' is the key here....even reversing a sound is so quick in Live...dunno, I'm loving Logic for a lot of things, such as the sound quality (Ensemble has much to do with that), the bundled synths, samplers and other instruments, but my workflow from 3 years of Live has definitely slowed down until I get more familiar with it. I haven't tried rewire with Live and Logic yet, sometime next week when I have some time off work, but for now I'm sure it will be a good workaround, especially that it would be using Logic's mixbuss and not Live's (admittedly, i'm one of those who still believes Live's sound to be a bit crap when there's too much going on, no matter how good your warping is, etc., something about an improved sound quality in 7 I read once?)

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:50 pm

protools, even with 'elastic audio' (jeepers, live, sonar, reaper and many other daws have had this for some time some calling it by other names but essentially it's the same thing) could never be fun. Protools is as much fun as watching a 3 day chess match with nothing but bread and butter and water to eat and drink and having to use a portable commode for a convenience. Watching paint drip dry on a wall for 48 hours is infinitely preferable to the grey, boring interface of digidesigns 'industry standard' product.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:56 pm

The Live's audio quality thread sucks has been done to death many times of late. And some people will always believe it worse, even when that can be proven otherwise.

As someone who uses Cubase SX3 and Live6, I have to say that I notice NO DIFFERENCE and various tests have shown, (that with warping turned off) Live is no worse than other 32 bit audio systems. The metering is not so great and the mixer view when running more than 20 tracks is a pain in the ass but the rendered audio is the same.

You should spend more time playing with Live. In my experience, it is 3 to 4 times quicker to write and compose an album than with a linear daw such as PT and Logic, even if you do your final mixing in another daw through exported audio files or rewire.

The new Live 7 will include a 64 bit mix summing engine.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

DJDJ

Re: Logic 8 elastic audio?

Post by DJDJ » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:00 am

hat wrote:I never would have thought ProTools would win this race, with 7.4 it seems they took they most fun aspect of Live and implemented into PT. Warp markers, stretching to the tempo, changing pitch, etc., all the fun and quick audio mangling Live can do.

I predict we'll see some sort of feature like this in Logic in the near(ish) future. I think that since apple has re-written logic and has deeper control over it, we'll start to see a lot of improvements, and I'm sure it's no secret to them that the audio needs some serious updating to compete with the likes of Live, Pro-Tools, Cubase/Nuendo, etc...

Though, I have no idea when we'll see it. I'm pretty sure we will. For now, Live rewired can work really well, and for most basic audio stuff, Logic is fine.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:12 am

pro tools? ewwww!

anyways you can *sort of* do the elastic audio thing through apple loops.

Hypomixolydian

Post by Hypomixolydian » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:35 am

leedsquietman wrote:The Live's audio quality thread sucks has been done to death many times of late. And some people will always believe it worse, even when that can be proven otherwise.

As someone who uses Cubase SX3 and Live6, I have to say that I notice NO DIFFERENCE and various tests have shown, (that with warping turned off) Live is no worse than other 32 bit audio systems.
Isn't warping the main point of Live? I like Live but when warping is on, the quality is quite noticably inferior and that annoys me.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:38 am

aqua_tek wrote:pro tools? ewwww!

why EEW?

the workflow features in Pro Tools are second to none. Everyone in the industry could take a cue from Digi in how to not bloat their app.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:05 am

You could say this about Reaper for 50 bucks and that doesn't restrict your hardware choices....

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:35 am

sweetjesus wrote:
aqua_tek wrote:pro tools? ewwww!

why EEW?

the workflow features in Pro Tools are second to none. Everyone in the industry could take a cue from Digi in how to not bloat their app.
dont know i guess its a subjective thing

i tried protools some time ago and I just didnt like it... at all. At least when it comes to MIDI composition and production, which is basically what most of my work is based on right now, I just dont like PT's workflow. If I were doing some tracking/basic mixdown work, it'd be a different story... maybe. I think I'd still prefer Logic or Live over it any day of the week.

I really dont see the need for it at this moment to be honest. Elastic audio? WOW! Way to push the envelope, digidesign people! Your PT users can now enjoy something that has been available to other DAWs for years! Bitch please...

But hey no hate. Maybe eventually i will have to purchase a PT setup for work compatibility (seeing as almost everyone uses it in their studio :roll: ) but as long as I can avoid it, you can be sure that i will :P :lol:

Goran@Irrupt

Post by Goran@Irrupt » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:27 pm

leedsquietman wrote:Protools is as much fun as watching a 3 day chess match with nothing but bread and butter and water to eat and drink.
this was funny! :lol:

w :!:
http://www.irrupt.com ? Irrupt Studios / A&R