Korg KP3 users: How do you use your KP3 with Live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Naim

Korg KP3 users: How do you use your KP3 with Live?

Post by Naim » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:20 pm

I'm a long time Live user and just recently (yesterday) picked up a Korg KP3. I've had my eye on a Kaoss Pad for a while now, but finally I couldn't resist all those pretty lights and sounds, so I took the plunge. It'll be a great device in general even without Live, but I'm interested in how some people who use both integrate it into their sets.

Do you direct chain it, or route audio to it on a return channel? Can you send MIDI data to it over the USB connection through live? It would be pretty cool if I could create dummy clips in live that triggered effects on the KP3. I'm not sure if that works though. As kind of a more general question, can you do MIDI with the KP3 over USB at all, or is the USB only for the SD card?

Thanks for any input!

Naim

chrisedmo

Post by chrisedmo » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:28 pm

I have a KP3 and I use Live, however, i have left it lying around since ive had it really, im going to integrate it into my live set up.. probably midi clock out from Ableton into the KP3 and then loop real instruments or vocals in time.. apparently with the new v2 KP3 firmware you can assign the sample buttons to a midid CC or message so basically once you arm the KP3 you can hit a midi pedal or whatever and then it will sample into one of its banks - pretty useful for me as i play the guitar..

Also there was anice video on youtube of a guy controlling ableton with the KP3..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvz8BX2Y5go

looks fun..
Macbook 1.83ghz. Ableton Live 8 :-). Guitars and keys and retro sh*t.
http://www.myspace.com/banquetmusic

logic_user99

How do I use the KP3?

Post by logic_user99 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:14 pm

I've got a KP3 and am trying to integrate it into Live (I'm a new Live user!). The 'ext ctrl' mode is excellent for controlling Live - there's various 'patterns' you can select from the computer editor, which set up the X/Y pad for different applications. My personal pref. is to have it set up as 8 'virtual faders' that send out 8 different CC# to live.

I use it plugged in via USB (however, this'll change to MIDI shortly as I've run out of USB ports on my PowerBook and have a keyboard controller and a knob controller *heh* too) and it sends every message just fine. Works a charm.

Once I've got more outputs on my interface (soon!), I'll be using a 'send' in Live to route audio to the KP3 (out of ext ctrl mode) so that I can record loops and build sounds for using in-between song switching.

Jus' gotta get me a new audio interface (and a full-blown copy of Live! Am using Live Lite by M-Audio at the moment)

Hope this helps a little.
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:17 am

Man, the KP3 got all big all of a sudden. It seems there are a lot of people on here who just got one or are looking to get one soon.

I love it and I look at it as the poor man's lemur and the iphone of effects processors. It's nice to have a little something that isn't raping your CPU or doesn't have to use anything on your computer for that matter. Now I just need to figure out how to loop it into my car stereo.

chrysalis33rpm

Re: How do I use the KP3?

Post by chrysalis33rpm » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:20 am

logic_user99 wrote:I've got a KP3 and am trying to integrate it into Live (I'm a new Live user!). The 'ext ctrl' mode is excellent for controlling Live - there's various 'patterns' you can select from the computer editor, which set up the X/Y pad for different applications. My personal pref. is to have it set up as 8 'virtual faders' that send out 8 different CC# to live.
Can you tell me where to find more info about this 'ext ctrl' mode and the patterns that the KP is capable of? I downloaded the manual but did not see anything - I am very curious about this device.

Naim

Post by Naim » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:12 pm

beats me wrote:Man, the KP3 got all big all of a sudden. It seems there are a lot of people on here who just got one or are looking to get one soon.

I love it and I look at it as the poor man's lemur and the iphone of effects processors. It's nice to have a little something that isn't raping your CPU or doesn't have to use anything on your computer for that matter. Now I just need to figure out how to loop it into my car stereo.
That's a big part of the reason I bought one: Just so that I'd have an effects box that didn't take a ton of CPU power. I'll still be making plenty of use of effects in Ableton, but this will be something that will always be right there for me to perform on.

I think I'm probably going to start out by just using the KP3 in a direct mode, i.e. pass everything through it. Despite being a long time Live user I'm somewhat new actually using it in a Live situation, so this setup might change to something where I just route through a return to it, then back into live.

Currently my KP3 doesn't seem to want to do MIDI over USB, I'll have to try reinstalling the driver for it or something. Once I get that setup though I assume you can sync MIDI clock over it? I actually need to be careful in this situation, since in my setup I use my Novation Remote SL Zero as my primary controller, so I actually have Live sync to it. Maybe it would be best just to connect it via a standard MIDI cable directly to the Remote.

Either way, it's a really versatile device that I've had a lot of fun with so far, and I haven't even really done anything particularly productive with it, just a lot of screwing around.

divonic

Post by divonic » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:22 pm

I got a KP3 for live shows. basically I have a monome 40h for launching clips in live. I've got a behringer bcf2000 for faders and knobs. the knobs are set up as sends. one send sends externally to the KP3 which returns to it's own channel. I trigger a couple of one hit samples from the kp3 and use it as a send. it is synced to live via the usb cable. I have yet to try to control the kp3 via midi.

TrOoLos

Re: Korg KP3 users: How do you use your KP3 with Live?

Post by TrOoLos » Mon May 17, 2010 10:05 am

Hi Divonic, how do you get it synced to live via the usb cable? What settings in live and/or the KP3 did you maken?

Thanks and kind regards,

rubo

Post by rubo » Mon May 17, 2010 10:15 am

I use the KP3 as an Send-FX, cause I have 3 seperated stereo outputs (Drums, Bass, Sounds), so I can't use the KP on one Output.
I don't know if it's the best solution, but I can't think of any other. Do you?
it's timesynced via USB and I use the 4 Sample-Buttons to Control Live...

esteban2010

Post by esteban2010 » Mon May 17, 2010 10:24 am

Hello!

I have my kp3 since a week.
Im Live user and Im tryng to sync Live kp3 without any success.
The USB connection runs ok, the KP3 EDITOR transmit and receive ok between mac/kp3.
But,
I put EXTERNAL control in the kp3, send midiclock trough the IAC driver, but the kp3 doesnt sync.

Can somebody help me with this problem?

Thanks,

Esteban

TrOoLos

Post by TrOoLos » Mon May 17, 2010 10:26 am

Hi all, I'm also struggling with a good set-up. What are the options and who can help me out there?

1. Basic chain setup (without using the sends). Route the output of the master channel in Ableton Live through the KP3 (plug the L/R output audio cables on my motusoundcard, which first went into my mixing table, into the input of the KP3 en plug in the L/R output cables of the KP3 to my mixer)?
2. By using the the sends on the channels (for example send A), then make a return track and add a audio effect "external audio effect" to this channel. Set the input of this external audio effect to the outputchannels of the KP3 and set the output of the external audio effect to the inputchannels of the KP3. And set the output channel of the return A track to "sends only" or what?
3. ....

What I want:
- Syncing the BPM with Ableton Live as a master (can this be done by USB? and if so, how?)
- Cue/preview the KP3 effects before using it
- Set the KP3 effect on a individual channel in Ableton live (with sends) or use it on all channels at the same time (master)

I've a MOTU UltraLit mk3 firewire soundcard hooked on my Macbook Pro with the Ableton Live Suite 8.1.3.

Thanks for everyone would can help me out there!

rubo

Post by rubo » Mon May 17, 2010 10:58 am

Sync:
You can sync the KP via USB.
Take a look at site 9 and 21:
http://www.korg.com/uploads/Support/KP3 ... 720000.pdf

esteban2010

Post by esteban2010 » Mon May 17, 2010 11:11 am

Thanks Rubo!

But..of course I have checked the manual...

Doesnt run in sync for me in this way.
I really dont know what happen.

Can you share the way (in Live midi prefs.) you send the clock to the kp3?

Believe me, The only thing I have not tryed (still) is using a real midi cable. ((my IAC driver runs really well,...I have sync guitar rig 4 stand alone, etc...)

Thanks again.
Last edited by esteban2010 on Mon May 17, 2010 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

TrOoLos

Post by TrOoLos » Mon May 17, 2010 11:28 am

I Rubo, thanks, but when I read the pages it only says syncing through midi:

MIDI Sync function
The BPM of the KP3 can be set to follow MIDI Time Clock messages from an external MIDI device. Connect the MIDI OUT connector of an external MIDI device (such as a sequencer set to transmit MIDI time clock messages) to the MIDI IN connector of the KP3.
NOTE This function will not synchronize se- quence data with the KP3’s rhythm pattern pro- grams. If you want to synchronize sequenced data and the KP3's internal rhythm patterns, you will either have to insert a Touch Pad On message into the beginning of each measure of your sequence data, or touch the touch pad at the beginning of each KP3 phrase to start the pattern.
NOTE If you want the KP3 to receive Timing Clock and Touch Pad On messages, go to MIDI Set- ting (? p.20), and make “Changing the MIDI mes- sage filter settings” (? p.21) so that these messages will be received.
NOTE You can not use the Tap Tempo or Auto BPM functions while the KP3 is receiving Timing Clock from an external MIDI device

esteban2010

Post by esteban2010 » Mon May 17, 2010 11:50 am

Hi Rubo,

About the mapping of the sound signals...Im guitarrist and also use the kp3 for external fx.

Like you, I have 4 separate stereo outputs from Live.

This outputs goes to a Mackie mixer and use the ALT 3/4 option to send one of this outputs or two or three or all the outputs (master) to the kp3.
This means the ALT 3/4 and its return, runs as *on-off* kp3 fx for individual outputs.

The KP3 returns to other channel in the Mackie and this channel is configured to send stereo signal to Live to be recorded if is necesary to¨clean¨the kp3 and use the Live fx .

But....all this without real sync in kp3.

(help!)

Thanks

esteban