Question about the Suite upgrade price.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
LiveXXX

Question about the Suite upgrade price.

Post by LiveXXX » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:55 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am happy to see Live 7 is now available to purchase!

I am considering the Suite upgrade for 299
- Oliver Chesler

andydes

Post by andydes » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:04 pm

And the question is?

LiveXXX

Post by LiveXXX » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:16 pm

oh yeah...... woops!!!

Wait... coffee... sip... gulp... ok back to life...

Question...

Next year what do you think the upgrade price will be for the suite?

You think it will be 299€ to go from Live 7 Suite to Live 8 suite?

I think in terms of yearly bills I guess... how much do I want to commit to be in each year to Ableton.
- Oliver Chesler

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:48 pm

I'm thinking there won't be an expanded suite version next year. There are essentially 4 softsynths + sampler in the suite. I doubt they are going to add 5 more on top of that next year.

So if you buy the suite version this year then (hopefully) you will just be paying a standard upgrade price for the whole package which should be cheaper for the next major release.

andydes

Post by andydes » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:25 pm

Oh, interesting. Didn't expect that one.

I'll take a wild guess based on what they've done before. If they don't add anything completely new to the suite and just make a few improvements, I'd expect it to be included in regular upgrade price of the core program.
EIC to EIC2 is included in regular upgrade to 7, as are improvements to operator and sampler.

If they add new instruments, I'd expect them to offer discounts for each instrument you have already as they did with operator and sampler (I know some people thought it wasn't enough).

But even if they add new instruments, I find it extremely unlikely they'd force you to upgrade the suite anyway. Most likely, you'll simply pay the regular Live upgrade which will include all the instruments you already own.

As they are tied to Live, the Live 7 suite instruments won't work with Live 8, so it would be unethical to force you to pay the upgrade for the pluggins, if you just wanted to upgrade the main program. Might even be illegal. Either way, it's not how the company works.

Do it.

I am.

andydes

Post by andydes » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:27 pm

Besides, we all know that next year all development effort is going into:

*insert personnalised wishlist here*