OT: Damn Teddy Bear's Anyway

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
jb61264

OT: Damn Teddy Bear's Anyway

Post by jb61264 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:53 pm

With all the bickering about how f'ed up it is in the USA, at least we aren't jailing people for naming their freaking teddy bear "Muhammad"

...and then you have this type of reaction in other parts of the world...

KHARTOUM, Sudan - Thousands of Sudanese, many armed with clubs and knives, rallied Friday in a central square and demanded the execution of a British teacher convicted of insulting Islam for allowing her students to name a teddy bear "Muhammad."

I'm naming my new Shih tzu puppy Muhammad this weekend...think that'll earn me an execution somewhere in the world on Monday?

There are problems in the USA, but I'll stay right here smack dab in the middle of it thank you very much.
3.2 GHz Windows XP, Live 7, Reason 4, FL Studio 7, Stylus RMX, Sytrus, Toxic III, Novation X-Station 49, Akai MPD24, EMu XK6, Roland MC-303, Gemini BPM5000 Mixer, MBox

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:50 pm

Go ahead and convince me if a muslim teaching in A-merica allowed the game below to be called 911 by the school kids they're responsible for... your mongoloid countrymen wouldn't be outraged.

I got news for you man, as a westerner - especially british/americans - it's not really a good idea to take the piss out of the muslim faith. especially when you're responsible for a bunch of presumably impressionable school kids. muslim school kids. in sudan.

go wikipedia afghanistan/iraq/palestine to see why muslims are a little pissed off with you lot.

by the way, she's only got 10 days of prison left. I think she deserves what she got. For being so fucking stupid. It beggars belief that some folks are like "hey, why the fuck can't we take the piss out of mohammed? Print the cartoon, print it!" ... you people are thick as shit. imo.

don't get me wrong, I'm not in favour of organised religion. But I am in favour of idiots getting horsewhipped. Weird!
spreader of butter

pixelbox

Post by pixelbox » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:55 pm

b0unce wrote:Go ahead and convince me if a muslim teaching in A-merica allowed the game below to be called 911 by the school kids they're responsible for... your mongoloid countrymen wouldn't be outraged.
I know I'd be outraged...I'd be like, "Where's the FUCKING AIRPLANE!?!?!? RIPOFF!!!"
Before speaking, learn telling. And to tear magic from science is very dumb pupil-like.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:25 pm

b0unce wrote:Go ahead and convince me if a muslim teaching in A-merica allowed the game below to be called 911 by the school kids they're responsible for... your mongoloid countrymen wouldn't be outraged.
that's not equivalent.

An equivalent situation would be if some kids in a predominantly Spanish speaking part of town were to vote and name a toy 'Jesus' because Jesus is a pretty common Hispanic name and one of the kids was called Jesus and he was pretty popular with the others. That is an equivalent situation.

Or in India to call a child's toy "Krishna", which is also a common name for boys.

so your comparison is incorrect.
It would have been correct if they had called the toy "Holy Roman Crusader" or "Abu Ghraib" something, but that's unlikely. I don't think Crusader is very common name in muslim countries.

jb61264

Post by jb61264 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:15 pm

If your analogy of a terrorist act and a religion had any parallel, I might consider it, but since its a pretty ridiculous comparison I'll just leave it at that...

Extremist muslims like this need to get over themselves...oh Muhammad!...I didn't captilize the "M" in muslim...another 20 lashings for me!!!
3.2 GHz Windows XP, Live 7, Reason 4, FL Studio 7, Stylus RMX, Sytrus, Toxic III, Novation X-Station 49, Akai MPD24, EMu XK6, Roland MC-303, Gemini BPM5000 Mixer, MBox

chrysalis33rpm

Post by chrysalis33rpm » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:17 pm

No shit, bounce's analogy is laughably poor. But onto more important things.

I read that article about the crowds wanting to execute the teacher, and that Monty Python clip that TD posted a few days ago passed through my head (the one about the guy getting stoned to death for mentioning Jehovah), and I realized, "Holy shit, humans have come a long way from being really ignorant!" Well, or something like that. Obviously a lot remains to be done, but I am glad to live in a society that values a multiplicity of viewpoints, and doesn't just bow to the grand poobah.

Whenever one of these much-anger-over-insulting-Muhammed things hits the press, I can't help but think that Muhammed was probably not such an insecure fellow that he'd really have let it get under his skin.

jb61264

Post by jb61264 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:24 pm

chrysalis33rpm wrote:Whenever one of these much-anger-over-insulting-Muhammed things hits the press, I can't help but think that Muhammed was probably not such an insecure fellow that he'd really have let it get under his skin.
EXACTLY....excellent point!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:43 pm

http://www.muslim.org/islam/abuse.htm
It is entirely false and totally unfounded to allege that Islam teaches Muslims to murder anyone who verbally abuses their religion, mocks it, or offends their feelings towards their faith.

On the contrary, Islam requires its followers to show patience under provocation, and to disregard and ignore the abuse. (Of course, if the abuse contains any allegations against Islam or the Holy Prophet Muhammad which require to be refuted, then these should be answered, but by verbal means only.)

or a firing squad, whichever satisfies the braying mod of morons best.

I think this issue is less to do with faith and more to do with general human stupidity.

popslut

Re: OT: Damn Teddy Bear's Anyway

Post by popslut » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:02 pm

jb61264 wrote: I'm naming my new Shih tzu puppy Muhammad this weekend...
A mate of mine recently got a dog which is a cross between a Jack Russell Terrier and a Shih Tzu.

It's called a "Jack Shit" apparently.

Timur

Post by Timur » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:04 pm

Now let me think about it: It is forbidden by muslim law (at least in that country) to create pictures/tin gods of Muhammad. Isn't that a holy law only used on God in the old testament? Talk about blasphemy... :idea:

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:53 am

There was no analogy being made. Well not near as literal as you prefer. Just a parallel situation of cultural insensitivity - or stupidity. Regardless of right and wrong, or prophet-for-prophet insults - there's somethings you just don't do at certain times. Such as being insensitive about 911 in american class rooms populated by young americans, or being insensitive about mohammed in muslim class rooms populated by young muslims. You'd have to be pretty stupid to hope for a positive outcome from either situation, or even to hope for indifference at best.

...seems obvious to me.

but then again...you're not the only 'tards who think they have an intellectual right to criticise the faith of a people who are at the same time being systematically raped, robed & imprisoned on your tax dollar.

And she's getting off lightly, 9 more days in prison and a flight home. No lashes, and they have no intention of handing her over to those burning her effigy on the streets. She broke laws that were already in place. Right or wrong, I dont expect to break the law in foreign lands and get away with it. I should know better than to choose to teach in sudan and break their laws.

Seriously, can't you see the stupidity on her part ? Don't you see ANY reason why now, in our geopolitical climate, it is a BAD idea to treat islam with disrespect ( especially amongst muslims :roll: ) ? It's just extremely antagonising at this point in time. For painfully obvious reasons that I can't bring myself to spoon feed you.
spreader of butter

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:03 am

Angstrom wrote:http://www.muslim.org/islam/abuse.htm
It is entirely false and totally unfounded to allege that Islam teaches Muslims to murder anyone who verbally abuses their religion, mocks it, or offends their feelings towards their faith.

On the contrary, Islam requires its followers to show patience under provocation, and to disregard and ignore the abuse. (Of course, if the abuse contains any allegations against Islam or the Holy Prophet Muhammad which require to be refuted, then these should be answered, but by verbal means only.)

or a firing squad, whichever satisfies the braying mod of morons best.

I think this issue is less to do with faith and more to do with general human stupidity.

man - that's myopic as fuck, and a shining example of the general human stupidity you refer to. You seriously think the mob have no other reason to be so angry? Oh sure, it's just the teddy bear thing. Ya, iraq doesn't come into this and the hundreds of thousands of dead iraqi's or the ones fucked up by radiation due to your dirty bombs, or stealing their oil, or the sanctions etc. Palestine doesn't come into this either. Nah, we're pretty peachy about all that stuff....but grrrrrrrrrrrr don't call the teddy mohammed. We're likely to go insane about this issue, which is totally isolated and has nothing to do with you systematically fucking us with your military might.

wake up and smell the white phosphorus
spreader of butter

popslut

Post by popslut » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:18 pm

b0unce wrote:
wake up and smell the white phosphorus
Oh please, please b0unce - shut up you total penis.

I usually agree with stuff you say - I even have a quote from you as my sig - but in this instance you just sound like some over-zealous sixth-form student, anxious to advertise his anti-estab credentials.

The current debacle in Sudan has nothing to do with offending religious sensibilities; have you not noticed how Muslims around the world are lining up to condemn the Sudanese government for bringing Islam into disrepute?

The only people demanding she be executed are those mobs in Karthoum who have been steadily whipped up into a frenzy by the state controlled Sudanese media; 400 angry rentamob out of 1 billion Muslims worldwide.
b0unce wrote:We're likely to go insane about this issue, which is totally isolated and has nothing to do with you systematically fucking us with your military might.
The only people fucking anyone with their military might in that region, murdering innocent [mainly Muslim] women and children in their thousands, are the poor, downtrodden Sudanese government supported Janjaweed Militia and they've relied upon the support of reactionary fuckwits like you to excuse their tyranny and facilitate their crimes since they began.

Just because they are African and Muslim does not automatically make them the virtuous underdogs and just because she [Gillian Gibbons] is white and British does not make her the imperialist oppressor, stomping upon their culture and disrespecting their noble traditions.

Had she painted Mohammed's face on a pig I'd agree with you about perceived cultural insensitivity, but, as many respected Muslim scholars have recently pointed out, all she is guilty of [if anything] is a very minor cultural faux pas which would have gone virtually unnoticed in any Muslim country in the world that wasn't currently trying to deflect attention from the fact that it currently engaged in the worst acts of genocide since Rwanda.

b0unce - please think before you type this kind of horseshit.

Don't diminish yourself by espousing this grossly oversimplified "black hat/white hat" view of the world where anyone brown and Muslim is automatically noble and downtrodden and anyone white and western is naturally their oppressor.

The real world is a lot more nuanced than that.
Last edited by popslut on Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Timur

Post by Timur » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:22 pm

Word!

Timur

Post by Timur » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:49 pm

My car is bigger than yours, my religion is better than yours, my prophet is truer than yours. And now I have to go kill my neighbor 'cause he thinks our prophet's son is truer than our prophet's nephew and thus insulting my believes. :evil:

Sorry, don't know which thread this discussion is going on right now, so I used both.