laCie porsche hd ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beatsepps

laCie porsche hd ?

Post by beatsepps » Thu May 13, 2004 12:33 pm

hi

I need more space!

Anybody knows about or owns a laCie porsche hd?
it's quit cheap, small and good looking :-) is it loud? is it fast?
or is it better to get a fw 800 hd with the faster data transfer rate?

please help

tanx for quick answers
peace out

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Thu May 13, 2004 2:11 pm

No personally, but I saw a balding, fat, 50-year old man buying one the other day.

I wonder if he crashed it yet trying to impress a bunch of his daughter's friends?

I'd go with the standard LaCie HD (mine's 160 and I found it WAY cheap on nerd.com )
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

lasers and their beams

Post by lasers and their beams » Thu May 13, 2004 3:16 pm

I have the porsche 250, partitioned with the outer half of the platen dedicated to Live. I really don't know anything about drives, haven't done benchmarks or anything...seems efficient, without fuss. I think it was slightly cheaper than the other LaCie 250. One single LED that changes color. Occasionally when the room is quiet, I hear it spin down, nothing unnerving about it. Only slightly louder than an ipod I guess. I'm really happy with it. Wish it were bus powered, but oh well.

It's solved the Powerbook's mid-life crisis. Wouldn't it be great if Porsche granted that marketing angle to LaCie!
PB G4 667 (ol' slowey) w/Niche AS and Ozone

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Thu May 13, 2004 4:26 pm

Don't know what computer/OS you're on but the 800 drives ar eonly any faster if you have hardware that can deal with them (sure you knew that;)). I bought a new 250 a couple of days ago and still recommend buying a good quality drive + a good quality firewire enclosure and putting it together yourself over buying a sealed unit. It's cheaper PLUS with the enclosure you can swap drives in and out, take your main drive with you wherever you go etc etc..
But then that's just me...

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Thu May 13, 2004 5:08 pm

I think all 2.5 drives are about the same.

I made one with a fwdepot.com case and old PB 20GB drive.

Works like a charm!