Plastikman specially customised Live version

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mag

Post by mag » Mon May 24, 2004 11:48 am

While not personally being the biggest fan of the brand of techno he is favouring these days (ref. his set for John Peel) i am in no doubt that he is a great artist & innovator.
I didnt start this thread with the intention of a discussion of his musical merits. What im really interested in i midi implementation in Live & whether its a one-off Hawtin special or a pointer to future developments.
Anyone from Ableton care to comment ?
Mag

claudek

Post by claudek » Mon May 24, 2004 1:06 pm

Anonymous wrote:Well, the last few times I, or anyone I've known, has seen him over the past 3-4 years, he has mainly been playing records that sounds like all the other thousand loop records out or Swedish compressed souless noise.

Having said that, there are indications that he's going back to a playing a more deep sound, so we shall see.
Well I guess it is hard for him..You got one kid saying he wants to hear hard shite and booing him and you got another bloke who has some brains on his houlder and wants some deep stuff and who is not under the influence..Who can he please these days?

matt ob

Post by matt ob » Mon May 24, 2004 1:13 pm

Well, I guess as an artist he should please himself above everthing else. As a businessman he's obviously going to go where the money is. Seems like Richie wants it both ways at the moment.

Post by Guest » Mon May 24, 2004 1:44 pm

and you got another bloke who has some brains on his houlder and wants some deep stuff and who is not under the influence..Who can he please these days
i object to that statment

'deep stuff' (whatever the fuck that means) is not a pre-requisit to having brains

:D

mosca

claudek

Post by claudek » Mon May 24, 2004 2:05 pm

deeper stuff usually goes with thinking a bit more and being very open minded..This is what i think at least..I am not saying this is a rule.
Headbanging techno is not vey hard to create nor dance to..even easier wihen that hit is kicking in.

ms

Post by ms » Mon May 24, 2004 5:46 pm

mag wrote: I didnt start this thread with the intention of a discussion of his musical merits. What im really interested in i midi implementation in Live & whether its a one-off Hawtin special or a pointer to future developments.
Anyone from Ableton care to comment ?
good question and let me guess: there is something in the pipeline. . .
I would wonder if the ableton crew is not ready to come up with another groundbraking evolution of live. do you think that ableton is able to spend any ressource to just implement midi features for richie hawton personally ? so the question should be: what kind of midi features are going to be implemented into live? gimme clip based midi (note,cc,sysex) and I'm fine . . . (including envelopes ...)

regarding some comments on the customized hawton press release. think it's a question of style. at some points 'customized' might have been replaced by : beta, or not/never released etc. but seemingly hawton should appear as big 'tech'n roll' hero in the quoted lines - well, it might be taken as 'great tech'n roll swindel' for all the dumb noncustomizers . . .

Rx

Post by Rx » Mon May 24, 2004 5:55 pm

i can't see a customized version being something that is not intended for eventual use by Live's userbase. if anything, it's a cooler way to introduce a product than having a demo at a trade show.
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Dell 6000d: 2.0ghz Pentium 760 | 1gb DDR2 ram
Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

drush

Post by drush » Mon May 24, 2004 5:57 pm

btw, there's pictures of the Ctrl-Live device on the plastikman site now. sort of a Monodeck on steroids.

Post by Guest » Mon May 24, 2004 7:08 pm

i'm not a fan of his new album, but in 20 years richie hawtin is going to be remembered as one of the pioneers and innovators of techno. yeah, he'll still probably be making albums with 303s and 909s.

you haters need to step up your game! if he aint breaking new ground, then you guys need to step in and fill the gap. this music wont progress otherwise.

Rx

Post by Rx » Mon May 24, 2004 7:13 pm

i think he got stunted musically by living in NYC. the european air should do him some good.
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Dell 6000d: 2.0ghz Pentium 760 | 1gb DDR2 ram
Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

nickw

Post by nickw » Mon May 24, 2004 7:40 pm

the ctrl-live box doesn't look any more exciting than many (and less exciting than some) of the home made boxes on www.ucapps.de
tions a

From the blurb on his site it mentions midi out, but this may just be a slightly beefed up midi clock out (they could conceivably be talking about just midi clock out!).

"New features in Ableton Live allow Hawtin to navigate his compositions through the control live device with amazing speed and dexterity"
again this may be a whole load of new features - or could be the publicity for the current version of Live.

Sounds like a load of publicity hype for the box his dad made to me.

Ableton are quiet about it being an enhanced version, although they mention the workshops.

I would love to be wrong but it doesn't sound like Live 4 beta to me.

Happy to be proved wrong within minutes of posting.

Nickw

Post by Guest » Mon May 24, 2004 8:03 pm

guessing you read the computer music thread, oh boy!