Plastikman specially customised Live version

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
drush

Post by drush » Sat May 22, 2004 6:12 pm

Anonymous wrote:as a friend of rich's, it's disturbing to see people bash him for his work. he's one of the hardest working in the industry. Always pushing the boundaries of technology and music. If you don't like his work, that's fine but there is no need to talk down on him and his music. Too each there own. and if you think the "customized" software isn't going to be used to it's fullest extent, just go to the show and see for yourself.
what he said.

Post by Guest » Sat May 22, 2004 6:59 pm

As an artist in the public eye, Richie puts himself in a position where he is open to criticism. As far as I'm concerned that's fair enough. Stop knocking people who make criticism's based on their own subjective experience. Richie's ealy work, particularly as Plastikman, is outstanding in my opinion. However, I have seen him DJ numerous times in the last few years and he has always been dull, dull, dull. Therefore, I am sceptical of his ability to still cut it and that is based on direct experience, not on second hand opinions.

I'm not taking anything away from his past achievements but Mr Hawtin has a lot to prove to me and to a lot of other people I know who previously had a huge amount of respect for him.

Matt

rajcoont

Post by rajcoont » Sat May 22, 2004 7:46 pm

i think Closer is the best album he's ever done, and one of last year's best albums...many disagree. his Live/DJ sets are really hit or miss. When he's on, he's untouchable, but he experiments constantly and pushes boundaries, and you don't always 'hit it' when you do this night after night. When he plays the pounding stuff, i don't feeel it, but last time i saw him, i absolutely loved it; The people i went with were booing out loud and pissed off at the 'soft shite' he was dropping, so it's a bit of a rock and a hard place for fans of mr hawtin....this MUTEK show should be an absolute stormer though...really gonna try and figure out some way to get off work and do the drive out

Post by Guest » Sat May 22, 2004 8:09 pm

i'm with matt on this one - i've seen him play boring DJ sets too many times now

the early plastikman stuff is outstanding though

don't care much for closer

mosca

Post by Guest » Sat May 22, 2004 9:19 pm

i don't understand the point. some music is boring and some is not depending on who is listening and how they feel at the time they're listening, why does that mean that entertainers have to prove something to you, when you don't like something all you have to do is stop listening. are any of us complaining that puff daddy is not making music good enough for 'US' I don't think so. who gives a fuck life is calling you.

-micminimal

Post by Guest » Sun May 23, 2004 12:59 am

Anonymous wrote:i don't understand the point. some music is boring and some is not depending on who is listening and how they feel at the time they're listening, why does that mean that entertainers have to prove something to you, when you don't like something all you have to do is stop listening. are any of us complaining that puff daddy is not making music good enough for 'US' I don't think so. who gives a fuck life is calling you.

-micminimal

Good call :-)

Matt

Rx

Post by Rx » Sun May 23, 2004 12:26 pm

i think it's cool that he is pushing the boundaries technologically. i saw him once many years ago and unfortunately don't remember shit.
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Dell 6000d: 2.0ghz Pentium 760 | 1gb DDR2 ram
Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

claudek

Post by claudek » Sun May 23, 2004 6:21 pm

I have to say I respect Mr. Hawtin for playing something different and not the safe easy cokehead techno..and also for not prodcuing the same shite as everyone else. Seems techno has almost died because the kids do not open their pea head brains and think maybe techno can be anything..Rithcie is a great dj and a good dj takes chances and educates.
For those who think techno is just 140 BPM, compressed 909 ..then you do not know what it really means.There are so many dj's now, why not sit back for one night and listen to something new..I just do not get it?

effekt

Post by effekt » Sun May 23, 2004 11:29 pm

i'll be there with bells on (as well as the after party, and the after-after party...i'm going to have to sleep for a week before hand - i'm gettin old)

i'll gladly do my best to post a review when all is said and done.
for those of you who don't like his work, are unimpressed by what he's achieved, or feel he owes you something...you are entitled to your own opinion, but it's shit! :D
just joking
i've been a fan of his music from day one and even more of a fan of his ability to push the boundaries of live preformance...it may not always work flawlessly, but at least he had the balls to try it.
Win XP Pro
2.5M P4
1Gb RAM
60GB 5400rpm HD
40GB 5400rpm modular HD
M-Audio Firewire 410
M-Audio Oxy 8
Ableton 3.0

UknowWho

Ummm since when ....

Post by UknowWho » Mon May 24, 2004 2:43 am

Did this turm into the tall poppy synrome thread?
The fact that I may or may not like Hawtin is irrelevent.
Tall Poppy SYndrome is truly tragic.
ALOT of people here should know better !!!!!!!!!

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Mon May 24, 2004 4:01 am

hear hear!

be good to hear from more people who are going so we can get independent eyewitness accounts

:wink:
RMBP i7 2.8GHz | OSX 10.14.6 | Live10.1.15 | Fireface800 | Push 2
https://soundcloud.com/paddyfree

Post by Guest » Mon May 24, 2004 8:38 am

ha ha ha

you guys are cool

hawtin is still boring now though

mosca

Post by Guest » Mon May 24, 2004 9:25 am

claudek wrote:I have to say I respect Mr. Hawtin for playing something different and not the safe easy cokehead techno..

For those who think techno is just 140 BPM, compressed 909 ..then you do not know what it really means.
Err - have you heard him DJ recently? :lol:

Matt

claudek

Post by claudek » Mon May 24, 2004 10:08 am

Anonymous wrote:
claudek wrote:I have to say I respect Mr. Hawtin for playing something different and not the safe easy cokehead techno..

For those who think techno is just 140 BPM, compressed 909 ..then you do not know what it really means.
Err - have you heard him DJ recently? :lol:

Matt
Nope..What does he spin these days?
I have to also say..being an artist like Hawtin he evolves..This is techno..to change and not be the same as he was in say 92. Do you still expect him to be doing Spastik and Circuit Breaker records in 2004?
I have to give him credit for trying to change and not sound like another
record that sounds like all the other thousand loop records out or Swedish compressed souless noise.
Techno music will only live again in spirit, once producers go back
to innovation and creation and originality.
However much hard critisism he gets, he still gets paid big bucks and is probably the most popular techno/dj producer in the World. So whatever is said here just makes him more popular..Like they say, bad critsism or good it just spreads the word.
Detroit baby!

Post by Guest » Mon May 24, 2004 11:41 am

Well, the last few times I, or anyone I've known, has seen him over the past 3-4 years, he has mainly been playing records that sounds like all the other thousand loop records out or Swedish compressed souless noise.

Having said that, there are indications that he's going back to a playing a more deep sound, so we shall see.