turn down all volumes at the same time?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
adambomb337

turn down all volumes at the same time?

Post by adambomb337 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:36 am

Is there any way to bring down all the highest volume peaks of each wave clip simultaneously in arrangement view when they all currently have varied volume automations on them?
Let me blog you -> http://volterock.com

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:14 am

i add a utility device/plugin to the channel, reduce it by xx DB then copy that device to all the channels i want the unity gain reduced on.

thats if it unity gain or whatever the technical term for it is that you are seeking

chrisedmo

Post by chrisedmo » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:27 am

i wish. i'd love that to happen.. its a bit of a nightmare when recording a band and then one guy asks to hear him self better and i have run out of gain on his channel, but then it takes so long to turn the other tracks down ?
Macbook 1.83ghz. Ableton Live 8 :-). Guitars and keys and retro sh*t.
http://www.myspace.com/banquetmusic

Timur

Post by Timur » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:32 am

You could select multiple/all clips and edit their clip-volume relatively. It wont change them lineary though but following some strange algorithm. Best to try it yourself.

A better way could be to map the very same Midi fader to all track-volume faders and thus affect them all at once in conjuction with "Relative" control mode (see Midi preferences).

The utility solution seems to be the best idea though, cause you can also map the very same Midi fader to all your Utility Gain controls (don't use "Relative" control mode then) and thus have one Midi fader control relative Gain for all tracks without having to move the track faders.

Timur

Post by Timur » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:42 am

chrisedmo wrote:i wish. i'd love that to happen.. its a bit of a nightmare when recording a band and then one guy asks to hear him self better and i have run out of gain on his channel, but then it takes so long to turn the other tracks down ?
You cannot run out of gain in one channel/track of Live. You can always put one more Gain utility on his single channel without clipping (Live does not clip on individual tracks internally because of the floating-point engine). Your track meter will run all red, but that does not mean clipping unless you render that single track to a file. As long as the Master meters doesn't show clipping you can crank the levels of your individual tracks.

MartinOM28V

Post by MartinOM28V » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:49 pm

Based on what Timur says, the simplest and fastest way is to decrease volume on the Master and then crank it on the track you want to spotlight.
iMac 3.4 GHz i7 12GB/Apogee Duet 2/Event ASP8/AKAI MPK61/Ableton Suite 8/Logic Pro 9/Waves Platinum/Komplete 7/Amplitube 3/Omnisphere/Stylus RMX/Trilian

Timur

Post by Timur » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:07 pm

Erm, yes! :)

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:21 pm

I'd say it's a good idea in general to record volume automation on a utility plugin, instead of on the fader. That way you always have the fader available for overall level, completely independent of the automation

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:22 pm

thats one of those' i could have had a V8' tips longjohns thanks for that one
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.