How to change preset via scene

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Kvebt

How to change preset via scene

Post by Kvebt » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:02 pm

I wonder a long time, because I think there is no possibility to change (similar to program change e.g. with FM 8) the preset, except using the mouse?

While performing I do not want to look on my Laptop and click around with the mouse, so how can I switch to another preset from e.g. electric or operator or impuls with a clip?

Otherwise a strong recommendation for the future list!

Wondering

Jan

corygilbert

Post by corygilbert » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:06 pm

look in the manuel under "'program changes"

Noel

Post by Noel » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:06 pm

You can set up clips to send bank and program change messages when they are launched. but this is only good for external instruments or vsts that react to program changes. None of the built in instruments react to program change though - which is a pain in the arse to be honest.

Since Live 6 you can acheive something like it using instrument racks using several instances of the same instrument and switching between them with the chain selector - then you have to use clip envelopes to select the correct chain.

Either that or have multiple instances on different tracks and place the clip on the correct track for the sound that you want.
Noel has left the building!

Kvebt

Post by Kvebt » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:03 pm

Thanks for your answers, also it is really a shame vor Live 7!

Really strange that nobody is thinking about this before and submitted this leak.

To corygilbert: I knew that there is this option, but show me how it works for tension, electric or operator etc.

Know what I mean?

Jan

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:29 am

Damn, I'm running into this issue now too. :(

I want to be able to pull up different instrument racks, or at least Sampler "presets", with program changes built into MIDI clips, but it seems this can't be done without the chain selector workaround.

Chain selector workaround is ok, but I don't remember...do non-selected devices consume CPU ? I'm wondering if having 20-30 chains in a rack is going to kill me? Seems like having program change for Ableton instruments would be a simpler solution.

ciw

Post by ciw » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:49 am

devices producing no sound consume no cpu. so once the last note has finished playing (assuming the instrument receives a note-off signal) an inactive chain will consume no cpu.

andydes

Post by andydes » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:49 pm

Live devices not in use consume no cpu. So you should be safe with the chain select option.

VSTs and AUs, I think can use CPU when not in use depending on how they have been writen.

For Live devices, it's a good system though, as you can have completely different instruments and effects on the same track.

I've always had trouble with program change messages on some VSTs. Sometimes it just seems to get stuck on one preset of something.