OPEN LETTER TO ABLETON

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
lipidfish

Post by lipidfish » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:37 pm

Dear OP,

Your Posting of unequaled eloquence will not be rewarded by my appreciation.

lvehon

Post by lvehon » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:48 pm

Did anybody else notice that this is this persons first post. They're probably some other companies guerrilla marketing tool thats upset that their product blows compared to live. Wait a minute... damn this is my first post too and I've been using live since version 3... and I won't stop because Ableton is one of the best and most responsive companies I've ever ever had to deal with!

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:49 pm

lvehon wrote:Did anybody else notice that this is this persons first post. They're probably some other companies guerrilla marketing tool thats upset that their product blows compared to live. Wait a minute... damn this is my first post too and I've been using live since version 3... and I won't stop because Ableton is one of the best and most responsive companies I've ever ever had to deal with!
Trolls like you really piss me off.

hivemind

Post by hivemind » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:55 pm

substance_g wrote:I think we need to hit the ground running, keep our eye on the ball, and make sure that we are singing off the same song sheet. At the end of the day it is not a level playing field and the goal posts may move; if they do, someone else may have to pick it up and run with it. We therefore must have a golf bag of options hot-to-trot from the word 'go'. It is your train set but we cannot afford to leave it on the back burner; we've got a lot of irons in the fire, right now.

We will need to un-stick a few potential poo traps but it all depends on the flash-to-bang time and fudge factor allowed. Things may end up slipping to the left and, if they do, we will need to run a tight ship. I don't want to re-invent the wheel but we must get right into the weeds on this one. If push comes to shove, we may have to up stumps and then we'll be in a whole new ball game.

I suggest we test the water with a few warmers in the bank. If we can produce the goods then we are cooking with gas. If not, then we are in a world of hurt. I don't want to die in a ditch over it but we could easily end up in a flat spin if people start getting twitchy. To that end, I want to get round the bazaars and make sure the movers and the shakers are on-side from day one. If you can hit me with your shopping list I can take it to the head honchos and start the ball rolling.

There is light at the end of the tunnel and I think we have backed a winner here. If it gets blown out the water, however, I will be throwing a track. So get your feet into my in-tray and give me chapter and verse as to how you see things panning out. As long as our ducks are in a row I think the ball will stay in play and we can come up smelling of roses.

Before you bomb burst and throw smoke, it is imperative we nail our colours very firmly on the mast and look at the big picture. We've got to march to the beat of the drum. We are on a sticky wicket. we'll need to play with a straight bat and watch out for fast balls.

I've been on permanent send for long enough and I've had my ten pence worth. I don't want to rock the boat or teach anyone to suck eggs. We must keep this firmly in our sight picture or it will fall between the cracks. If the cap fits, wear it, but it may seem like pushing fog up a hill with a sharp stick.

In short, this has been our plan all along, you have all fallen for it like the tremulous fools you are, all who stand in our way will be crushed and we are but a few short weeks from owning this game. Soon we will be invincible!

That is all.
best post ever.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:57 pm

hivemind wrote: best post ever.
WHAT?!?!? He didn't post a single picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chrisedmo

Post by chrisedmo » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:07 pm

It must be so frustrating being a software developer like Ableton.. On one hand people moaning about having new versions.. people were ranting on and on about how ableton should have released V7 by now, even though we were only on 6.0.10 ? and then they bring it out and people moan, because all of a sudden they feel like its a subscription thing, where they have to keep buying a new version and they feel they shouldn't have to.. :x

I know not everyone on here is like this, but I think Ableton and the team don't get enough praise and encouragement from us all to motivate them to continue to work..

I love Live.

There, i said it.
Macbook 1.83ghz. Ableton Live 8 :-). Guitars and keys and retro sh*t.
http://www.myspace.com/banquetmusic

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:23 pm

eh. They can't be too broken up about it.

They've completely cornered the electronic music market. With the exception of one or two people using roll their own apps or max, every single electronic music performance i've seen in the last 3 years using a laptop was running live. The vast majority of people i know who are writing electronic music are using live. I'll bet a few fucknuts whining on the interwebs doesn't really hurt that bad.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:24 pm

chrisedmo wrote: but I think Ableton and the team don't get enough praise and encouragement from us all to motivate them to continue to work.
I personally work for the money... they don't need our praise.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:25 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:eh. They can't be too broken up about it.

They've completely cornered the electronic music market. With the exception of one or two people using roll their own apps or max, every single electronic music performance i've seen in the last 3 years using a laptop was running live. The vast majority of people i know who are writing electronic music are using live. I'll bet a few fucknuts whining on the interwebs doesn't really hurt that bad.

.lm.
Yeah. But the audio quality is just too horrible :wink:

hivemind

Post by hivemind » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:00 pm

nebulae wrote:
hivemind wrote: best post ever.
WHAT?!?!? He didn't post a single picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you're right. what he posted was more of a constantly morphing, stream-like mental video of Escher-esque mutability and Python-esque silliness.

;)

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:11 am

Tone Deft wrote:what's the chance we all got trolled on by foreigner4?? seems like just the thing a particular poster was whoring about last week.
Considering it was a first post, you got trolled.

What always surprises me though is how personally people take this sort of thing. I mean three years ago I met one of the higher ups at Ableton in berlin, and he was cool, but I wouldn't say I knew him well enough to say we were allies. I like the software, it's very unique and suits me, but if something better came along that fulfilled my every wish I would use it. It's just software, and though I appreciate their business model to a degree, ( I would rather have more new features every 18 months than almost every year, coupled with MOTU's DP style free software improvements ), I find it hard to be loyal to a company of any kind unless they are paying me. Me paying them? well if some guy is all twisted up about the update schedule, who cares?

Nogi

Post by Nogi » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:43 am

Or course, that was troll bait and so were most of the responses. Whether the OP was conscious of his/her role is another question of low importance. Piffle in -> Piffle Out. It did result in one of the best responses ever (bravo, substance_g, golf claps to you) - should be made into a motivational work poster. Though next time endeavor to leverage the internets more synergistically.

lola

Post by lola » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:18 am

Op 1 post.... probably one user who got frustrated not seeing his feature request back in live 7

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:41 am

nebulae wrote:
adventurepants_ wrote:this thread should be moved to

'go eat a bag of shit'
Damn, check out the bulges!

walking becomes incredibly difficult once all the orange dots go out of sync

:o

ilia

Post by ilia » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:23 am

lola wrote:Op 1 post.... probably one user who got frustrated not seeing his feature request back in live 7
the enter button is broken.