Chocolate Audio "Bonzo" drumkit

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Oldtimer

Chocolate Audio "Bonzo" drumkit

Post by Oldtimer » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:50 pm

Since I am still waiting for my "Session Drums" order to be filled I thought I would purchase and download the Chocolate Audio "Bonzo" drumkit to use as a test kit. There are no install instructions with the download. I have tried several things but am having no luck. Anybody out there know how to install this product?

Pasha

Re: Chocolate Audio "Bonzo" drumkit

Post by Pasha » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:10 pm

Oldtimer wrote:Since I am still waiting for my "Session Drums" order to be filled I thought I would purchase and download the Chocolate Audio "Bonzo" drumkit to use as a test kit. There are no install instructions with the download. I have tried several things but am having no luck. Anybody out there know how to install this product?
AFAIK it should be a Sampler pack.
Have you tried that way?

- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

Oldtimer

Post by Oldtimer » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:15 pm

Pasha-Thanks for the response. It turns out that you load it into an instrument rack, drop the library into the "Ableton Library", load the samples you want and off you go.
During my exploration of this I have searched every resource I can find in the manual, the forum, on-line etc. I can find a lot of partial information but it seems that your pretty much on your own. The videos don't really address the nuts and bolts.
Does anyone know of any resources that I might be missing.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:32 pm

Oldtimer wrote:Pasha-Thanks for the response. It turns out that you load it into an instrument rack, drop the library into the "Ableton Library", load the samples you want and off you go.
During my exploration of this I have searched every resource I can find in the manual, the forum, on-line etc. I can find a lot of partial information but it seems that your pretty much on your own. The videos don't really address the nuts and bolts.
Does anyone know of any resources that I might be missing.
Have you already bought it?
It's a GM Full kit or Drums only?

:roll:
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

Oldtimer

Post by Oldtimer » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:55 am

Pasha,
Sorry it's taken so long to reply. We've had a bad ice storm and no power here.
Yes, I made the purchase. No it's not a GM Drumkit. It's samples only. According to the lady I talked to at Chocolate Audio, they are still working with Ableton to make all of the proposed features work properly, like Session Drums are supposed to function. There are some awesome samples and they come at a very reasonable price. I think it was well worth it. :D

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:13 am

Oldtimer wrote:Pasha,
Sorry it's taken so long to reply. We've had a bad ice storm and no power here.
Yes, I made the purchase. No it's not a GM Drumkit. It's samples only. According to the lady I talked to at Chocolate Audio, they are still working with Ableton to make all of the proposed features work properly, like Session Drums are supposed to function. There are some awesome samples and they come at a very reasonable price. I think it was well worth it. :D
Sorry for the storm! Hope everything is ok now.
According to the site, this should have been an Ableton Sampler Kit,
that's way I was interested. If they're only samples although good ones, I'm puzzled. I am an happy customer of http://www.smartloops.com
They have got loops, Midi Loops, and Sample kits starting at 29$!
Check it out and let me know what you think. I have MIDI Loops Vol 1,
and this http://www.smartloops.com/products/drystudiokit/

- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1

jamester

Post by jamester » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:48 pm

Pasha:

I have Smartloops midi loops and like them very much, I am curious how their drum sample kits would work with Live? Would I need Sampler for multi-velocity? I'm assuming this would give something along the lines of Session Drums, but I'd have to manually map the Drum Racks to GM?

Any info would be appreciated! :)
Purrrfect Audio PC by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
REAPER, Live, Sound Forge

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:11 pm

jamester wrote:Pasha:

I have Smartloops midi loops and like them very much, I am curious how their drum sample kits would work with Live? Would I need Sampler for multi-velocity? I'm assuming this would give something along the lines of Session Drums, but I'd have to manually map the Drum Racks to GM?

Any info would be appreciated! :)
Hi Jamester,

Being an owner of the dry studio kit, I own drum loops (great with the new slicer in Live 7) and 'single shots samples' for a drum kit.
I have mapped the drum kit samples in a drum rack. It's not like session drums but it's better than impulse in terms of GM compatibility. Impulse is still very very good IMHO and at some point even easier to use instead of Drum Racks.
For multi velocity you need (seen in previous post today) to put a Rack with those sanples (in simper I suppose) tailored by velocity or I suppose a Simpler with multi-sampled velocity. The dry studio kit is not velocity sampled but if you own a velocity sampled kit you can sure obtain good results.

- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1