Monome's MIR/ Gleetchlab 2.3 anyone using these wares?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
morerecords

Monome's MIR/ Gleetchlab 2.3 anyone using these wares?

Post by morerecords » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:25 am

I love some of the sounds coming from these wares, but I doubt I will be able to buy a monome anytime soon. I would like to replicate those process in Ableton, but I am not sure how to do it. Can someone experienced take a moment and walk me through those wares and what I could do in Live that's comparable?
Thanks in advance,
Morerecords

subbasshead

Post by subbasshead » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:17 am

why not use Gleetchlab? its free
its great for generating sounds to cut up & use in ableton LIVE...

so what was the question again?

yourmom

Post by yourmom » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:53 am

follow actions is your friend.

ejectorset

Post by ejectorset » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:37 pm

its mlr. i had the original monome 40h for awhile. it was awesome!!!

i have a feeling you might be liking the sound of some of the other monome software, mlr is just a 7 slot loop player with some awesome features.
Last edited by ejectorset on Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
13" 2.0 gHz core 2 duo macbook, live 6, korg poly 800 (w/ moog slayer mod), roland rs-09, rhodes mark 1A stage piano, mattel synsonics analog drum machine

sans soleil

Post by sans soleil » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:41 pm

gleetchlab is fantastic...a really fun, creatively inspiring piece of software (check the lightman controller, for example)... be aware that as of yet there's no midi controller support (which would be really useful for live use), and you can't save anything (which is part of the aesthetic of the program, but would also be pretty useful).

anyway...i use it all the time - to make new sounds when i'm creatively blank, as well as for live improv.

morerecords

Post by morerecords » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:02 pm

My key questions regarding Monome + MIR is

the use of variable loop start times (with musical resolutions i.e. 1/4,1/8,1/16,1 bar)which are automatically mapped out

and assigning mute groups (with regards to sequence playback) so that some clips cancel each other out

I am trying to work out whether Live is capable of these or the most best way to emulate them

Thanks again

ejectorset

Post by ejectorset » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:17 pm

haha, i had explained all that, but then i re-read your original post and thought you were interested in other monome software and deleted it out.

basically mute groups in live are "tracks" in session view.
and you can take a loop and duplicate it 7 more times then manually move the start marker.

then repeat for more loops.

then organize those groups of duplicated clip onto the tracks based on which mute groups you want them in.

then midi map a bunch.

its not really easy in live but it is possible to emulate.

the real awesomeness comes from having a controller that has 64 buttons in that immediate of an area/size. really, its unbelievable having 64 midi buttons at the tips of your finger with just one hand. so much better than something big like a trigger finger that is waaaay bigger and only has 16 pads.
13" 2.0 gHz core 2 duo macbook, live 6, korg poly 800 (w/ moog slayer mod), roland rs-09, rhodes mark 1A stage piano, mattel synsonics analog drum machine

Post by 4.33 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:43 pm

hey, thats fantastic! anything similar to gletchlab for pc?

morerecords

Post by morerecords » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:00 pm

I have seen some far more advanced plugins for PC by one of the guys at Smartelectronix and they are all free