Macbook Pro Santa Rosa Performance

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
thumperjack

Post by thumperjack » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:56 am

http://www.everymac.com

you might double check but im pretty sure the 2.33ghz were the last non-santa rosa chips. maybe not.
aburgener wrote:don't include me in your stupid fucking bitchfest because i made two posts about kebabs.
MBP-UB 17" 3.06 C2D, 4 gig RAM, Live 7.0.10, MOTU ultralite
guitarrig/ezdrummer/sd2.0/automat/battery/reaktor/massive/absynth

udp

Post by udp » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:12 am

continuous wrote:na... I'm trying to find out if it's "Santa Rosa" or not.

thanks
The Santa Rosa runs a 800Mhz bus speed. At least it does on my new Macbook. So, click on the more info button and check the bus speed.
OS X.5 MacBook Core 2Duo 2.2ghz, 2Gig RAM Mackie Onyx 400F m-audio BX8's, Oxygen 8, Zoom H-4, Alesis Masterlink, Bitstream 3x
http://www.udpmusic.com

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:18 am

Thats why the sound on the new Santa Rosas is much warmer than on old chipsets. It's the main reason I upgraded.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:18 am

john gordon wrote:
Emissary wrote:so have we figured out if this is a chipset problem and osx problem or an ableton live problem?

and what are we going to do about it?
well logic is working fine and so is reason 4 so i believe ableton needs to step up here......
OK sorry to burst your bubble here, but Logic has always been up to 40% more CPU efficient, and Reason? well I used to write songs just fine without hitting the limit with a 400mhz. G4.

Live is, and always will be a pig CPU wise, it's the nature of real time processes and keeping everything malleable.

The main concern I have with Live is the speed-stepping, and the way I ran into that was by having three soft synths that I switch between in a a song using an extremely light Reactor 303/606/Juno patch as the basic song. So the processor jumps drastically when a soft synth is played....

In fact all this is due to a simple problem, the test doesn't show actual stress on the CPU, only a standard stress test. What this does is not let the CPU ramp up, so it's quite possible that 90% of the worry here is just worry, with no real reason behind it.

Now if it's due to drop outs, and various problems with glitches etc. then by all means complain away, but a test that doesn't hit the limit of your CPU only shows you what is being reported by Live, not any real numbers.

zeropoint

Post by zeropoint » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:41 am

yes indeed.....please run the other tests at the top of the thread before jumping to any conclusions......

for me the problem was system wide....Live 6 and 7, Reason 4, Chuck... and Xbench proved that the processor was running slow. Using the Live CPU meter might give you an inkling that something is awry but it should not be taken as proof in itself.
MacBook Pro M1, 16GB Ram, 1TB.

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:43 am

OK please somebody confirm!!

This not happen on TIGER or Windows running on mac?
Just happen on any LEOPARD with santarosa?
On new imacs with santarosa this happen too?

:roll:

zeropoint

Post by zeropoint » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:15 am

I'm on Tiger....

bleepsnbreaks

Post by bleepsnbreaks » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:06 am

Well, Installed coolbook, runing it at the settings suggested my mammalux and now running a project that the CPU was sitting on 50 percent and clipping like shit is running at 15 percent smooth as sile.
Dude, you have no idea how grateful I am that you have found the problem, yo uare a fucking legend, Im now not bummed about this massive purchase of this MBP :)
Now, APples just got to fix this so that we dont have o be running our CPUs at full tilt constantly....

BTW, Im on Leopard and its working ssweet...
My Tracks on MySpace

Progressive Mix demo(not mixed in Live, mixed with CDJs)

17" Macbook pro 2.4 | Live 6 + Operator

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:55 pm

Can some one give me a baby steps walk through of how to set this up properly and then use it.
I have it set at the settings mammalux posted but it seems to be resetting it's self,,
I hit save and enter my admin name and it runs a test,,
then i close it,, i'm assuming cookbook runs in tha back ground and doesn't need to be running after being set up,, right?
Now, if i reopen the controller, the display under the Adapter heading reads my settings, but the dialogue where you actually set the settings has returned to the default of 1200 Mhz and 0.9375 V.
Also,,
In the information box what is the CPU load slider for?
When i move it to the right the CPU Load display in Live drops about 50%. But this only seems to work if the CoolbookController is open.
I'm running OS X.4.11
this is the information from about this mac,,
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP31.0070.B02
SMC Version: 1.16f8
Serial Number: xxxxxxxxxxx
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Cheers,,,
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

corneliusw

Post by corneliusw » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:07 am

I'm having this issue in ALL my programs and Coolbook has proven that not only Live, but Logic, Max MSP and even Final Cut Pro were displaying the same bad speed stepping problem. Setting up Coolbook has improved all these programs. Even render times in FCP are quicker on the same project. So I've concluded, in my case, that this problem is definitely system wide and I think it is really important for anybody that has this issue to send feedback to apple:
http://www.apple.com/feedback/macbookpro.html
I should not need Coolbook on such an expensive machine!

zeropoint

Post by zeropoint » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:42 am

Yes....already done here via the MBP feedback and directly through Applecare.....

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:31 pm

anyone experience in probs with the 2.6ghz chip?

tricil

Post by tricil » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:34 pm

Nightrider wrote:anyone experience in probs with the 2.6ghz chip?
goddamn son, you've got the the best Macbook Pro ever!

I thought my 2.33ghz / 3GB / 160(5400) was the shit in april, but daymn =)

such is the nature of technology
MacBook Pro T7600 / OS X 10.5.7 / Ableton Suite 8.0.2 / Peak Pro XT 6.1.1 / ReMOTE 37SL

Yhtomit

Post by Yhtomit » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:48 pm

So does the bas speed stepping problem exist in Tiger as well? Or is it Leopard?

zeropoint

Post by zeropoint » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:00 pm

Tiger too.........