making all clips equal db level? help please

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

making all clips equal db level? help please

Post by Guest » Sun May 23, 2004 4:19 am

got a set this week where im playing live at a fashion show, lots of quick cuts to different scenes.

i have spent alot of time setting up the template live session, but severeal of the the clips are at different volumes.

how do i best normalize the clips without losing my loop points etc.

is it just a matter of opening the external audio editor and normalizing ?
thanks

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Sun May 23, 2004 6:13 am

boost or cut each sample's "velocity" in the sample display.

Post by Guest » Sun May 23, 2004 9:37 am

or, if you have an audio editor selected click edit and the sample will open, normalize, or whatever and then save the sample (don't rename it)

it will be re-imported into live with the warp markers intact

mosca

Moonburnt

Post by Moonburnt » Sun May 23, 2004 11:32 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that subsequent editing of ANY kind(ie. even if the resulting file is of identical length), results in the file being re-scanned by Live. It would certainly be a bitch if you went and normalized all your files with an external editor, only to discover all your loop points are gone. Hopefully I'm talking crap though, because running an RMS average or normalize batch on all your files would be a shitload quicker than manually adjusting the gain on each clip within Live.

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Sun May 23, 2004 11:57 am

If you're simply cutting between the scenes, you could render the scenes using normalize then make a fresh Live song using just your rendered files and switch between them.

Post by Guest » Sun May 23, 2004 2:29 pm

my new trick--consolidate each clip in place, then the velocity slider jumps to how far away from zero (normalized) it is. put all the sliders back to zero, and everything is normalized.

Ryan

Post by Guest » Sun May 23, 2004 9:34 pm

you can use consolidate on the session clips??? and if so what is this for?

Post by Guest » Sun May 23, 2004 9:35 pm

sorry forgot! isnt' he just talking about needing a compressor limiter on the master outs?

beateater

clip properties

Post by beateater » Mon May 24, 2004 11:59 am

why not just tweak the gain on the clips properties window???

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:09 am

:)

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:53 am

I would have said use the little UTILITY effect in the suite of Ableton plugins that come with Live.
Then save as an .als file myself.
I avoid normalising like the plague and lay of the compression as much as is humanly possible these days.
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....