add affect to only 1 clip of a track

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
SpeedKing

Re: add affect to only 1 clip of a track

Post by SpeedKing » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:04 pm

shootdaj wrote:There's a much easier solution to this using MIDI/Audio Effect Racks and using their chains:

1. Add a new effect rack to the track
2. Add a new chain to the rack - this will be the default chain - through which the unaffected clips will play. Call it DEFAULT or something similar to describe that there are no effects in that chain. Do not add any effect to this chain.
3. Open up the chain menu in the effect rack (2nd button from top on the left sidebar of the rack)
4. Set the chain range for the DEFAULT chain from 0 to 0 - this is the default for all clips so all clips will play through this chain.
5. Add another chain - call it the same as the clip's name + " Effect Chain" or something similar.
6. Add a new effect to the new effect chain - whatever effect you want to apply to your clip.
7. Open up the chain menu in the effect rack (2nd button from top on the left sidebar of the rack)
8. Set the chain to only trigger for a specific range (let's say from 1 to 1, this allows for 128 clips that can have their own set of effects)
9. Double click the clip you want to add the effect on
10. Open its clip envelope (E button in the Clip View on the bottom)
11. Set MIDI Effect Rack's Chain selector to 1 (since we set it to 1 earlier). This way, all the other clips are unaffected.

Now, what is happening is this: When you play any regular (non-effected) clip, it will play through the DEFAULT chain, which has no effects in it (because envelopes for chain selectors default to 0 when adding a new Effect Rack). When you play the effected clip, it's envelope is set to change the chain selector to 1. When the chain selector goes to 1, it plays the clip through the Effect Chain which has the effect in it. And now it will apply the effect to the clip and this clip only. Repeat for additional clips. Voila!

P.S.: This method can also be used for putting different sets of instruments on different clips in the same track. Really comes in handy when you need to organize clips in one track but tweak an instrument for individual clips or simply have multiple instruments in the same track, for example, to have a different instrument on each clip of the track.
Huh, I am definitely going to try this when I get home from work tonight. Thanks for the input dude. I don't quite follow while reading it, but assuming I get it to work, it will likely be the permanent solution to this problem, which seems to be a recurring issue I've run into quite a few times so far, when I'm already at the middle or near the end, between 7-20 clips into a song on session view, and I think "crap, I really need this effect here". Thanks again.

shootdaj

Post by shootdaj » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:48 pm

SpeedKing wrote:Huh, I am definitely going to try this when I get home from work tonight. Thanks for the input dude. I don't quite follow while reading it, but assuming I get it to work, it will likely be the permanent solution to this problem, which seems to be a recurring issue I've run into quite a few times so far, when I'm already at the middle or near the end, between 7-20 clips into a song on session view, and I think "crap, I really need this effect here". Thanks again.
No problem. I was also in the same boat - needed to add effects to individual clips and I got tired of making a new track every time I want to add a new effect. They just end up cluttering the workspace and lowering productivity. I had remembered reading that chains allow for more routing options within the same track so I did some reading in the Live Manual and came up with this technique (I'm sure I'm not the first one, but using rack chains is a broad solution for many issues in Live so maybe using it specifically for this problem is not very common). If you would like, I can record a screencapture of how to do it and post it as a reply here. Also feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions. It is a bit hard to follow as it's a little in-depth to just describe using text. Let me know how it goes. Good luck!

wjbuchanan

Post by wjbuchanan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:48 pm

Perhaps another way would be to duplicate the track, and then group them together to tidy them up a bit...? Just a suggestion...

shootdaj

Post by shootdaj » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:49 pm

wjbuchanan wrote:Perhaps another way would be to duplicate the track, and then group them together to tidy them up a bit...? Just a suggestion...
Yes, that is certainly an option. I used to do this before I started using the chain method.