Korg Zero 8 vs. Ecler Evo5 ==== Let's Get It On!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
m.nash

Korg Zero 8 vs. Ecler Evo5 ==== Let's Get It On!

Post by m.nash » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:57 pm

Hello compadres,

This needs to be discussed. How does the Zero 8 stack up to Evo5

Heres the links:
http://www.evobyecler.com/
http://www.korg.com/gear/prod_info.asp?A_PROD_NO=Zero8

Heres what I can gather:
Price- Evo5 is $100-200 more
Features - Zero 8 is stacked!!!
Sound Quality - Evo claims to be champ
Design - Seriously EVO!

The challenge I think is usability, completeness of key features, sound quality, and bells and whistles.

I don't have experience with either, however, so would love to hear yours, as well as thoughts, beliefs, marriage problems, etc.

Lets get it on!

EgAD

Post by EgAD » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:58 pm

bump

mohler

Post by mohler » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:16 am

I've DJed with the Ecler and it's a nice mixer, seemed very solid until I blew it up!

I've only had a play with the Zero8 but I liked it, it seems slightly gimikey but felt like it did what was promised and I liked being able to switch between Midi and audio functions at the flick of a knob on a per channel basis.

If I can the cash and I was in the market I'd be deciding between th Zero8 and the either the DJM 800 or 1000, (Sorry I'm a it of a pioneer fanboy). i'm afraid the Evo5 would be in the running for me.

Since I'm almost 100% Live then I'd have to shoot for the Zero8
rolymiller.com
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHz, MacBookPro 2.2+2.4GHz, Macbook 2.0GHz 2GB, Metric Halo ULN/2, UltraLite, Ensemble, Axiom 49, Logic Studio, Live 6,

MTG

Post by MTG » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:09 am

As always it comes down to how you work, but I'm picking up an Evo 5 because I was concerned over the Zero series' sound quality issues. That's something I'm not willing to roll the dice over. I owned a Nuo 4 and loved it, it was the best mixer I've ever owned hands down (especially for sound quality). I was skeptical of the Evo at first but I think it is flexible enough to work around my setup, so thats why I am buying one. Ecler got some brand loyalty with me from the Nuo I guess...

Oh and the LCD is frickin sweet lookin'

EgAD

Post by EgAD » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:15 am

post some links you guys and also what are the key features of each?

thanks

Benno

Post by Benno » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:46 am

Ive had an Evo 5 for a couple of months now and i have to say that it rocks. I went through the same decision (Zero8/A&H3D etc) but im glad i chose the Evo. The midi control is quality and you can map literally thousands of controls. The effects are awesome too.

If you want me to answer any questions just shout.

subterFUSE

Post by subterFUSE » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:41 pm

I have the Korg Zero8 and like it a lot. Have not used the Ecler so I can't compare against that, but the Korg is a nice controller.

Korg is still ironing out some issues on the Zero's, though.... so I wouldn't reccommend buying one just yet.
M-Tech D900T laptop, 17" WSXGA+ wide-screen, Intel Pentium 4 3.4 GHz HT (600 series) 2 MB cache, 2048 RAM (Dual Channel DDR2 PC4200 533 MHz), Dual hard drives: 80 gig x 2 = 160 gig SATA 5400 rpm (RAID 0 config)
Korg Zero 8 mixer/soundcard/MIDI

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:45 pm

I ReALLLY want the Korg (If santa is listening) :P

Jonny Thrice

Re: Korg Zero 8 vs. Ecler Evo5 ==== Let's Get It On!

Post by Jonny Thrice » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:21 pm

m.nash wrote:Hello compadres,

Heres what I can gather:
Price- Evo5 is $100-200 more
Features - Zero 8 is stacked!!!
Sound Quality - Evo claims to be champ
Design - Seriously EVO!
Both the EVO5 and ZERO8 retail for (MAP) $1899.95 USD. ;)

I have had the EVO5 for a few months now as well, been using it with both Traktor and LIVE6, and I gotta say, its a kickass peice of gear!

In terms of Ableton, because the EVO5 has a 12 channel FireWire card, you can route the PFL and OUT from Ableton to the PFL and OUT of the EVO. This allows you to run as MANY Ableton channels as you want (whereas I beleive on the ZERO8, youre limited to its 8 channels). Also, because the EVO has multiple layouts (up to 64), you can custom program these layouts, and flip between them in split-second. With the ZERO, what you see is what you get....you can turn MIDI on/off per channel, but you cannot really change the commands around on the fly.

morerecords

Post by morerecords » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:23 pm

I have used the Ecler, it reall yblew my mind. It is the real thing

m.nash

Post by m.nash » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:57 pm

One of the nice features of the Korg Zero is you can flick the channel between audio and midi control.

Can Evo do that?

Man, both of those are just the tuffest pieces on the market. (And priced accordingly).

Jonny Thrice

Post by Jonny Thrice » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:05 am

Yes, on the EVO, you save different layouts. See, on the Korg, you can switch between MIDI and AUDIO on each channel on the fly. But what if you want to do all of them at the same time? Or want to change channels 1,2 and 4 to MIDI, and keep channel 3 on AUDIO?

With the EVO, you can save presets. You can make a preset layout...called "Abelton 1", for instance, which has all 5 channels in MIDI mode. Then, you can save a layout called "turntable" and have all the channels go from MIDI to normal audio mode.

You can save up to 64 different layouts, and flip thru them all on the fly. So if you want some kind of combination, AUDIO, MIDI and TRAKTOR SCRATCH layout, then you can save that, and flip to it at anytime! It's really cool what you can do with this mixer. Just by looking at the EVO, it seems to have less functionality than the ZERO, but there is a LOT hidden behind that little screen ;)

Any more questions, let me know! :D

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:46 am

How many outputs cna route out of mixer KORG ZERO 8?

I need send audio fropm one audio chanell of ableton to talkbox.

can rote in soem way with org zero 8?