New Automap OS kicks ass

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tricil

Post by tricil » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:26 pm

I need to know if the midi drop off is a bug with novations new OS or just a unit specific problem.

I have a theory that the specific live set uses a clip in master tempo mode (in arrange)

Can anyone else test this?

Just take a clip warp it funny (musicality need not apply here) and make it your master in arrange and see if you can get the SL to drop off please.

Thanks,
john
MacBook Pro T7600 / OS X 10.5.7 / Ableton Suite 8.0.2 / Peak Pro XT 6.1.1 / ReMOTE 37SL

morerecords

Post by morerecords » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:31 pm

I don't have any MIDI drop outs, as far as pot/pick up mode, I don't use it so I wouldn't know about that either. I will check it out. Everything works fine here.

fragmentated

Post by fragmentated » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:02 pm

I've gotten the "Ableton is Offline" a few times since doing the update. Never had it happen before.

tricil

Post by tricil » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:23 pm

tonight I'll try the same set in live 6 and see if I can get it to drop.
MacBook Pro T7600 / OS X 10.5.7 / Ableton Suite 8.0.2 / Peak Pro XT 6.1.1 / ReMOTE 37SL

R.J.Dubya

Post by R.J.Dubya » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:00 pm

I don't know if this happened before, but now I notice that using the buttons on the left side (which control scene playback etc.) trigger notes when a track is record enabled. Was this always the case? Never noticed. I guess those buttons are mapped as midi notes, which are midi mapped automatically?
aka glitchrock-buddha
303 posts as Winston

Macbook pro C2D 2.16, Firepod, rubber band and a stick.

tricil

Post by tricil » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:40 pm

ok it still dies on 6 and 7

BUT

I read this in a post somewhere about a quick fix for a different live 7/SL related bug about disabling yellow box track output to the SL

it seems to be fine now.

now i just have the issue of buttons sticking into the unit when being pushed in to briskly (aka normal live button pushing strength)

guh!

EDIT: Nevermind, still not fixed!

but I can switch off the SL and turn it back on, manually change it to template 40 and reselect the remoteSL control surface settings and have it come back with out stopping audio...

I just have to sync out from my Firebox to my bandmate for when I drop/restard the SL.

this sucks.

philipc

Post by philipc » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:01 pm

I've had a lot of crashes since I installed Automap. I've had 3 or 4 today and there were no crashes with Live 7 before I installed it.

I had a crash just a minute ago and i've had to reboot to get Live to run again without freezing. Very disappointing.

Edit: something related but different I just noticed. The C keys on my controller have very weak aftertouch compared to all the others. All three of them have significantly less sensitivity than all the others. Weird.

tricil

Post by tricil » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:08 pm

taking it back today for a refund.
Asides from a few cosmetic issues (sticky buttons, hairline crack in LCD screen) the unit is fine.

I'm convinced its the new OS and/or a needed Live bugfix. But I have a show soon (12/28 at lenny's for you Atlanta folk) and can't afford to have it fuck up like this.

I love the unit however - it literally turns my software into hardware. Its just not ready yet or something

so torn up about this.

rajcoont

Post by rajcoont » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:35 pm

what boggles my mind is that their own automap for the basstation plug that comes with the sl STILL doesnt work, has never worked, and likely never will. the parameters only go to 50% on anything set up as -63 to +63

pathetic

i brought up a whole load of bugs in the software and hardware when they released the last version of autmap last summer and nothing has been fixed

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:37 pm

:lol: a thread on how great the new OS is that's almost all complaints!! love you guys!! :cry:

I haven't updated mine, but I still love the original 'template 40'.

what's the deal with the new OS? I'm too lazy to go read about it and my SL is packed up in a box until I get my new desk and get unpacked in a new home.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

R.J.Dubya

Post by R.J.Dubya » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:50 pm

Tone Deft wrote::lol: a thread on how great the new OS is that's almost all complaints!! love you guys!! :cry:

I haven't updated mine, but I still love the original 'template 40'.

what's the deal with the new OS? I'm too lazy to go read about it and my SL is packed up in a box until I get my new desk and get unpacked in a new home.
It's probably got some improvements to the universal automap, but I don't care. I know there is Logic template updates (for 8 I guess).

What I like is that the transport/tempo controls now work properly in good 'ol template 40 with no silly workarounds. Much less mousing just from that.

And for those who have not yet tried the MCE for SL program which reworks automap, give it a try. The thread is around here somewhere. It's still buggy, but it's cool to be able to use the encoders for pans/sends, and also you can select tracks and devices right from the SL (with device names showing up to select). Unfortunately I don't see a way to chose devices within racks though. Maybe next version.
aka glitchrock-buddha
303 posts as Winston

Macbook pro C2D 2.16, Firepod, rubber band and a stick.