Free PadKontrol app by The Covert Operators

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jbone1313

Post by jbone1313 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:35 pm

Hey Andreas-

Thanks so much for the reply. Here are my screen shots. I've gone through all sorts of troubleshooting including:

-rebooting
-reinstalling midi yoke
-unplugging my audio interface and midi keyboard, so that only the padKontrol is plugged in

Image[/img]

stutter

Post by stutter » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:26 pm

JBone1313 - Can't see which ports you are using in pksquared, so I am assuming they are set like this:

to MC: Midi YOKE 3
to pK CTRL: pK 1 CTRL
Notes to Host: Midi YOKE 1
Notes from Host: Midi YOKE 2
from pK port A: pK 1 Port A

if this is the case, then in Ableton's pref's:

CONTROL SURFACES:
column 1: MackieControl
column 2: In From MIDI Yoke 3

(looks like you have that set up, so the "cursor keys" should work for you)

MIDI PORTS:
Input: MIDI Yoke 1 (Track SELECTED)
Output: MIDI Yoke 2 (Track SELECTED)

Once that's set up, you need two midi tracks.
- The first should be record armed to capture notes from the pK. Leave the "MIDI from" as "All Inputs".
- In the second midi track, set "MIDI from" as the Armed track, set Monitor to "In", set "MIDI To" as MIDI Yoke 2.
- This second track monitors your midi notes, and sends them out, via midi yoke, to the pKsquared app (which then sends them to your padKontrol).

So, try recording some midi notes into the Record Armed track. Should work. You probably won't see any lights on the pK yet. This is because your pads may not be on the correct octave. Hold down the Knob 1 Assign button, and press the various pads to change octaves. You should see lights reacting to the midi coming out of Ableton wehen you select the correct octave.

Hope that helps.

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:47 pm

I found a bug, I don't know if it is in live or in your app.

when i assign Channel 1 note G# -2 , it also lights up Channel 8 note C -2

and
when I assign Channel 8 note D -2 it also lights up Channel 2 note C -2

Channel 8 & 2 C -2 behave as they should and have no effect on the other notes, I just cannot turn the lights off on the pad when ch 1 G#-2, & ch 8 D -2 are activated
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:02 pm

thanks mike... hmm. This is weird. Does it do this in all live sets?

Planning a big trip abroad, so I won't have time to check up on this for the time being, but when I go in to do the "upside-down"-mode, I could still hunt for that bug a bit.

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:00 pm

to be honest this is the only set i have going across all sixteen channels, but
transposing away from the bottom is all i need to do to work around it, as it only
effects note c-2. the thing that struck me odd was the way it was happing across
midi channels. I took anything else that can send midi out of the picture.

I rebuilt the set from a previous state to find the problem after it first appeared.

jbone1313

Post by jbone1313 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:42 pm

stutter wrote:JBone1313 - Can't see which ports you are using in pksquared, so I am assuming they are set like this:

to MC: Midi YOKE 3
to pK CTRL: pK 1 CTRL
Notes to Host: Midi YOKE 1
Notes from Host: Midi YOKE 2
from pK port A: pK 1 Port A

if this is the case, then in Ableton's pref's:

CONTROL SURFACES:
column 1: MackieControl
column 2: In From MIDI Yoke 3

(looks like you have that set up, so the "cursor keys" should work for you)

MIDI PORTS:
Input: MIDI Yoke 1 (Track SELECTED)
Output: MIDI Yoke 2 (Track SELECTED)

Once that's set up, you need two midi tracks.
- The first should be record armed to capture notes from the pK. Leave the "MIDI from" as "All Inputs".
- In the second midi track, set "MIDI from" as the Armed track, set Monitor to "In", set "MIDI To" as MIDI Yoke 2.
- This second track monitors your midi notes, and sends them out, via midi yoke, to the pKsquared app (which then sends them to your padKontrol).

So, try recording some midi notes into the Record Armed track. Should work. You probably won't see any lights on the pK yet. This is because your pads may not be on the correct octave. Hold down the Knob 1 Assign button, and press the various pads to change octaves. You should see lights reacting to the midi coming out of Ableton wehen you select the correct octave.

Hope that helps.
Yeah, I have it all set like that, but its still not working. It doesn't look like the PK is getting any information from PK Squared. I'm not sure if that's because there's an issue with MIDI Yoke or PK Squared. I still can't get the PK to read "T.C.O." after I hit the "Enter Native Mode" button.

BTW: I also tried restoring the factory presets on the PK, and that didn't help.

Thanks!

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:46 pm

In Live, try disabling the PadKontrol inputs - all three of them.

stutter

Post by stutter » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:47 pm

odd. Factory defaults would make no difference since Native Mode is not related to what you have saved in the scenes.

Only thing I can think of is: In Max Runtime, go to File>Midi Setup, and make sure you have all of the relevant ports ticked on.
Apart from that, can't think why it's not working.

jbone1313

Post by jbone1313 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:55 pm

I tried all of the above. No luck. Oh well. :(

Thanks for trying to help me though.

lunarhostility

Post by lunarhostility » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:02 pm

Does anyone in this post also have a BCR2000? If so, which controller do you find better suited for MackiControl? I recently installed the BCR MackieControl app someone posted on here and am having difficulty getting it to work like I want to and am getting a padKONTROL soon.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:24 pm

lunarhostility wrote:Does anyone in this post also have a BCR2000? If so, which controller do you find better suited for MackiControl? I recently installed the BCR MackieControl app someone posted on here and am having difficulty getting it to work like I want to and am getting a padKONTROL soon.
We have, among many other controllers, a PadKontrol and a BCR2000. Once wired through an app like ours, or maxMSP itself, then I would very much prefer to mackie-about with the PadKontrol, if anything then simply for the amount of buttons it provides. Others may prefer the "mixing capabilities" of mackie control on the BCR over the "navigation" capabilities of a ton of buttons.

Certainly having rows of 8 anything helps using mackie control to mix, though.

jbone1313

Post by jbone1313 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:10 am

I'm posting once more in hopes that someone can help. I really want this to work.

I have everything setup just like the PK Squared manual says, and I still have no luck. I can't seem to even enter native mode.

I'll give up after this.

Thanks,

jbone1313

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:53 am

i'm going way out on a limb here, but when i put pk[squared] on my powerbook, i couldn't get it to work. I only had the drivers for my pK installed on the powerbook, i actually had to install the editor librarian and turn the midiports on in pK editor librarian's preferences to get the pK to go native

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:52 pm

mike holiday wrote:i'm going way out on a limb here, but when i put pk[squared] on my powerbook, i couldn't get it to work. I only had the drivers for my pK installed on the powerbook, i actually had to install the editor librarian and turn the midiports on in pK editor librarian's preferences to get the pK to go native
Mike, Machinate etc -

any of you guys done anything more on the step sequencer? I got it working just about but it sounded like some more work had been done your end Mike?

Also, Machinate, any chance of Covert Ops releasing a version of your fab step sequencer with some PK squared awareness in its setup? It would be a very powerful beastie i'm sure, but i'm not sure what i'd need to be sending where to get it to have notes light up on the PK.

Ta..
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:58 pm

^^^ I've almost got the step sequencer doing two bars now.

I got it working yesterday, now it's a matter of applying it to all the tracks.

you can change between two bars, or link them together.

and even my old G4 can run it smooth.

I've been having more fun with live these days then ever before!

[/i]