solo should do sends as well

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
forge

solo should do sends as well

Post by forge » Thu May 27, 2004 1:37 am

I can't see any reason at all why it's beneficial to solo only the track and not it's respective sends

- I want to hear it how it will sound in the mix, and that's with the send fx, so it's a waste of time having to solo all the sends as well as the track and then un-solo them all when you want to go back to the mix.

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Thu May 27, 2004 9:03 pm

well...yeah but if you did that, then you'd have the same problem on the other end, being that if you wanted to hear just the track and not the sends, you'd have to unselect the sends. it make smore sense to have the user just select what they want, instead of making the user select what they want, and then have to deselect a bunch of options that come along with that selection.

you could assing some keys to the send's solo buttons, which might speed up the proccess.

k

forge

Post by forge » Fri May 28, 2004 1:36 am

yeah, but I'm just saying that I hardly ever want it that way round, but I want it with the sends alot. It'd be cool to be able to choose in the prefs which way you want it.

just my 1p

radder

Post by radder » Fri May 28, 2004 2:36 am

yeah, I agree with Forge... about 80% of the time i wanna hear the sends too. there was another thread about this recently. It should be a global preferences option.

equinoxworld

Why not in the prefs..

Post by equinoxworld » Fri May 28, 2004 3:22 am

Why couldn't there be a prefrences option to enable or disable the sends for solo on tracks...:)
Or better yet, a button on the control bar :D
"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Albert Einstein

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Fri May 28, 2004 11:24 pm

Yep, it sucks not having solo isolate.

it also sucks *only* having solo latch.

-m

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Sat May 29, 2004 1:11 am

Forge is right....I never understood why they would do that either...it's a real pain in the ass when you need to do a drop and even the effects are gone.

robbmasters

Post by robbmasters » Mon May 31, 2004 11:50 pm

Only really experienced this today, and have to agree with Forge. I had six tracks going and wanted to solo one (in real time) but instead got total silence, as the output of that track was set to "sends only". (All my tracks are set to "sends only" so that I can easily do stuff like EQ kills on a group of tracks.)

ducktail

Post by ducktail » Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:21 am

Agree with Forge, but it goes deeper than this. Why can't you assign group mute to a midi or key assignment?

Drop all the drums by hitting one key? Drop everything except the melody line?

This would open up a world of possibilities?
MBP 2.66 i7
Livid Code
APC 40
Korg Microkey
Motu Ultralite
Apogee Duet
Kapture Pad

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:16 am

ducktail wrote:Agree with Forge, but it goes deeper than this. Why can't you assign group mute to a midi or key assignment?

Drop all the drums by hitting one key? Drop everything except the melody line?

This would open up a world of possibilities?
Yes sir.

But that's not the way to solve this particular problem IMHO - the key is a 'solo exempt' option on each send track that makes it unaffected by soloing. And maybe even on each track period.

-Paws
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.