In-Earh headphones better than normal?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Silence

In-Earh headphones better than normal?

Post by Silence » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:58 pm

i was thinking about a thing when reading an article about ppl listening to portable music players and hearing loss...

if one uses in ear phones, wouldnt that minimize hearing loss?
my reasoning: in ear => less outside noise => lower volume => less damage

reasonable?
MBP - Ultralite MK3 - Genelec 8020 & 8030 - BCR2000 - padKONTROL - NordRack 2

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:03 am

If they kept the volume to a safe level, yes. But many don't. Here in Europe, iPods have their volumes software-restricted to help those who aren't smart enough to keep the volume to a safe level.

Machinate

Re: In-Earh headphones better than normal?

Post by Machinate » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:12 am

Silence wrote:if one uses in ear phones, wouldnt that minimize hearing loss?
my reasoning: in ear => less outside noise => lower volume => less damage

reasonable?
Not really, since (as an example) in-ear earbuds like the ones that come with the iPod do let in a lot more sound than closed headphones that encapsulate the entire ear. Also, based on observations as a frequent train- and bus passenger, earbuds also let a lot of noise *out* into the public, which is right annoying.

Now, more modern and slightly more expensive ear-buds have rubber seals on them, much like some earplugs have, and these insulate a lot better, allowing you to keep the SPLs down.

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:37 am

so how would a pair of Koss The Plug compare to normal phones, better or the same?
MBP - Ultralite MK3 - Genelec 8020 & 8030 - BCR2000 - padKONTROL - NordRack 2

tricil

Re: In-Earh headphones better than normal?

Post by tricil » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:41 am

Machinate wrote: Now, more modern and slightly more expensive ear-buds have rubber seals on them, much like some earplugs have, and these insulate a lot better, allowing you to keep the SPLs down.
and these will make you deafer quickly... i just got a pair of V-Moda's ears are hurting...

I almost wish i didn't know how to unlimit my volume.
MacBook Pro T7600 / OS X 10.5.7 / Ableton Suite 8.0.2 / Peak Pro XT 6.1.1 / ReMOTE 37SL

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:02 am

iPod earbuds are NOT in ear headphones by the way. Big difference between ear buds and in-ear monitors. I for one think they do make a huge difference, lower volumes needed for sure. After getting my Shure E2's (and now running E3's), I know I can't go backt o regular ear buds.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

tacvbo83

Post by tacvbo83 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:31 am

Tarekith wrote:iPod earbuds are NOT in ear headphones by the way. Big difference between ear buds and in-ear monitors. I for one think they do make a huge difference, lower volumes needed for sure. After getting my Shure E2's (and now running E3's), I know I can't go backt o regular ear buds.
So are you recommending the Shure in-ear headphones? I was about to buy some this past weekend but passed and bought some monitors.
MBP 1.86 GHz, 2Gb RAM, Live 6, Logic Studio, Reason 4, Komplete 5, Melodyne, BFD, IK Studio Bundle etc etc

Atomikat

Post by Atomikat » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:29 am

+1 with Tarekith ...Shure E3's :D

tricil

Post by tricil » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:30 am

seriously, look out on these... you WILL go deaf sooner.

in ear phones are VERY concentrated and powerful and with the noise canceling sealing rubber, that's a lot of high pressure air heading right for your earbones
MacBook Pro T7600 / OS X 10.5.7 / Ableton Suite 8.0.2 / Peak Pro XT 6.1.1 / ReMOTE 37SL

Myrrdin

Post by Myrrdin » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:02 pm

Because the ear phones are in your ear, they don't let any of the sound escape from ear drum, creating a lot of pressure and leading to greater hearing loss than with regular headphones.

MOONLEMON

Post by MOONLEMON » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:01 pm

Well, we can sit here all day and come up with out little theories ("more seal = more pressure = more ear damage", or "lower volume = less damage plain and simple), but I'd like to see something official, especially from those that say that in-ear phones will do more damage.

Generally you'll listen to music at a much lower volume than with non-sealed headphones, so I like to think that they're better for you. Just sealing your ear off doesn't cause damage, I don't know where you guys got that idea. It's high volumes on the ear drum that cause damage.

jamief

Post by jamief » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:11 pm

MOONLEMON wrote:Well, we can sit here all day and come up with out little theories ("more seal = more pressure = more ear damage", or "lower volume = less damage plain and simple), but I'd like to see something official, especially from those that say that in-ear phones will do more damage.

Generally you'll listen to music at a much lower volume than with non-sealed headphones, so I like to think that they're better for you. Just sealing your ear off doesn't cause damage, I don't know where you guys got that idea. It's high volumes on the ear drum that cause damage.
Eventually damage will occur its just a mater of time and if the sound is travelling directly with no other interference to ur drum it will increase the likelyhood of permanent damage.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:07 am

That's like saying everything you hear will cause ear damage.
Tarekith

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:26 am

Just bought my 1st ever iPod yesterday (80Gb classic)

I must have freak's ears cos the apple buds just will not stay put at all. They need to be rotated kinda 30 degrees forward on the inside to give any decent bass, but they don't stay there at all.

So I'll just keep using my HD25's. I don't care if I look like a radio operator from U-571.

"Ach!"

"Himmel!"

"Aiiiiieeeeeee!"
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:41 am

You're not missing anything, Apple buds sound awful anyway. :)
Tarekith