HELP: Laptop is on the outs...IS THIS A VIRUS?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tribe9

HELP: Laptop is on the outs...IS THIS A VIRUS?

Post by tribe9 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:04 pm

Hey everyone,

So, i'm having issues with my laptop which is of great concern because it is my music production workhorse and an essential part of my bands live setup.

Here's the situation:

The problem is that my internet browsers stopped working and don't appear to be connected to the internet although i can can access the internet through itunes music store and other programs. I tried a new browser and still no internet (wireless or ethernet). The system seems less reliable and i'm worried it could be a virus although all virus scans indicate no threats.

Anyone had similar problems? Advise?
HP dv5000 Notebook>Intel Core Duo 2.0GHz, 2 MB RAM, 5400 RPM 100G, Mbox, M-audio Axiom 25, M-audio Trigger Finger, Midisport 2x2, Behringer FCB1010, Roland HPD-15

inmazevo

Post by inmazevo » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:14 pm

Have you plugged in any usb/fw peripherals lately.
I have this exact problem whenever I plug in my dv video camera to rip video into Premiere. And, once I've plugged it in and Windows has loaded the drivers, I'm out... even uninstalling drivers won't put it back.

I haven't found a way to fix it, so I made a backup of the system in a working state, and now only pull in mini-dv tapes in bulk so I don't have to restore too often.

Might not be the same thing, but the symptom is similar.

- zevo
infinite density, zero volume

tribe9

Post by tribe9 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:31 pm

Actually, now that I think of it. The problems did start occurring after i installed software for my roommates printer. Do you think this could have caused an issue?
HP dv5000 Notebook>Intel Core Duo 2.0GHz, 2 MB RAM, 5400 RPM 100G, Mbox, M-audio Axiom 25, M-audio Trigger Finger, Midisport 2x2, Behringer FCB1010, Roland HPD-15

inmazevo

Post by inmazevo » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:51 am

tribe9 wrote:Actually, now that I think of it. The problems did start occurring after i installed software for my roommates printer. Do you think this could have caused an issue?
Possibly... it depends on the motherboard, and how its sharing is set up, and of course the drivers themselves.

Unfortunately, the only way to know is to restore to a backup before the problem, and see if you can pinpoint the issue.

It's precisely this type of thing that makes me unbelievably anal about backups before installations, even of the most trivial things, and definitely for anything with a driver.

Sorry to hear it though. I feel your pain.

Good luck,
- zevo
infinite density, zero volume

kaffein

Post by kaffein » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:21 am

Might need an LSP fix utility... google it.

blank

Post by blank » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:38 am

Post a jpeg of your system process here.

we'll see if there is something wrong.

If you want to know if your computer have access to the internet just ping google, if the ping works your prob is prolly only iexplore, it could be fixed most of the time.

What anti vir are you using ?

Just don't go crazy by bringing back everything from a restore point, it's prolly pretty stupid ( like a registry value fix )
feug.net -:- virb.com/feug

tribe9

Post by tribe9 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:36 pm

I tried running a netsh utility fix on my system last night but still no connection. I am not super computer savy but from my understanding the netsh command should have fixed any registry value issues...is that true? - i will try and ping google tonight and check out the LSP fix

Thanks for the input

blank

Post by blank » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:05 pm

Dunno what anti-vir you have

but nod32 have a quite good malware capacity detection

you can get a full 30 days trial.
feug.net -:- virb.com/feug