Clip Loop Brace

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
stutter

Clip Loop Brace

Post by stutter » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:30 pm

on p.112 of the manual it says the Clip Brace canbe midi mapped. This is not the case for me (without Autohotkeys) - is this a mistake in the manual, or am I just misreading it?

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:00 pm

it's never been midi mappable AFAIK...

Moody

Post by Moody » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:24 am

That does seem to be a type-o. 8O
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:01 am

Wow. And all those manuals already printed.

I guess now it will be cheaper for them to just add the feature already. We've only been asking for it forever.

Or they could print new manuals & make new CDs for everyone. Their choice.

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:36 am

I think what you are refering to you have to go into the Clip note editor. Then MIDI map those controls: Start, End, Position, Length, Loop...Your gonna want an endless rotary for this stuff, best would be 7 or 14 bit MIDI controllers, mo precise...

Moody

Post by Moody » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:26 pm

"The Set buttons, the Loop switch, the loop brace and the start/end markers can all be
mapped to MIDI controls. You could, for example, use a rotary encoder to move the loop
through a sample in increments the size of the chosen quantization interval."

From the manual. :?
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:33 pm

I was thinking specifically of getting the loop brace highlighted via MIDI or hotkeys so you could halve/double it (and so on) using the associated hotkey commands.

I still think you need the mouse to get the loop brace highlighted. I might be wrong, I didn't buy L7, who knows.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:08 pm

I couldn't get this to work with my Korg Kontrol 49. I tried mapping it to a knob, but it would only change to two values 0 and 1:01:01.

I think set might work though. but I decided not to map that since there is no easy way to change global quantization to 8 bars without using mouse(that I know of.).

stutter

Post by stutter » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:14 pm

well, if you search for the Ultimate Autohotkeys script, or summat like that (or search Rozling, it's in his sig.), then my script in that allows you to select it, as probably do other people's. But that requires Autohotkey. To be honest I only noticed because I was messing with the script.

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:01 am

jlgrimes wrote:
I think set might work though. but I decided not to map that since there is no easy way to change global quantization to 8 bars without using mouse(that I know of.).
you can midi map global quatization to whatever midi cc/note you want, theres also key commands to do this if you want to use something like Bomes,Midistroke,Max...

Just out of curiosity, what is it that you cant do without actually selecting the loop brace via mouse?

stutter

Post by stutter » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:01 pm

dunno for jlgrimes, but I like being able to select loopbrace, turn loop on, then lenghten /double/halve the loop, move position, meanwhile sending to effects and transposing. Do all that on the padkontrol (which kind of lacks encoders), which I find easier and faster than mousing - not that it necessarily is - I think mice are an excellent interface, but once you set up strings of events in Bomes or Autohotkey then I get much faster control. It's fun when you have a few tracks going and start looping them all, mixing in between them, before you pick out which track you want to unloop and make the focus.

Upright

Re: Clip Loop Brace

Post by Upright » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:09 am

stutter wrote:on p.112 of the manual it says the Clip Brace canbe midi mapped. This is not the case for me (without Autohotkeys) - is this a mistake in the manual, or am I just misreading it?

You have to map the "position" field in the sample box. Mapping the "Position" field to a midi number will give you control of the loop brace with your controller.

Moody

Post by Moody » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:15 am

Upright wrote:
stutter wrote:on p.112 of the manual it says the Clip Brace canbe midi mapped. This is not the case for me (without Autohotkeys) - is this a mistake in the manual, or am I just misreading it?

You have to map the "position" field in the sample box. Mapping the "Position" field to a midi number will give you control of the loop brace with your controller.
A little late to the party?

Upright

Post by Upright » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:38 am

Moody wrote:
Upright wrote:

A little late to the party?

LOL....no, this thread was referenced in the Native Instruments forum. So I wanted to clarify that you can in fact map the loop brace. :D The behavior of "mapping the loop brace" is mentioned on page 110 as the ability to move the loop brace through the loop via a rotary controller, this can be done by mapping the "Position" field in the sample box.