Can I sue McDonalds for theft?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Stankluv

Can I sue McDonalds for theft?

Post by Stankluv » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:32 am

So a few days ago I went through the drive-through.I was in a rush and didnt realize they never gave me my credit card back. Being so busy with the holidays I didnt realize it until today when I checked my account online. I saw I had three different Sprint, which I dont use, phone bills totaling over $400 dollars. I also had three purchases at the McDonalds where it was stolen. Needless to say, I am FUCKING PISSED!! Nothing worse than a thief!

I called the McDonalds and told them what happened. As I was on the phone with the manager she was looking for the card in her office, as she says she personally locked it up. She EXPOLDED, not at me, when she realized it was gone. The area manager called me and said to contact her with any info that arises from my investigation with Sprint. I'm hesitant to give them any info in case this becomes a legal issue.

I've canceled the card and plan on contacting the police & Sprint tomorrow to find out the account info that was paid. Since I'm sure that criminal charges will probably equal little more than a slap on the wrist, what legal ground do I have to sue McDonalds? Its a franchised location, so would I file suit on the owner or the corporation?

Any thoughts on how you would handle this situation and any legal backing I have in my corner?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:35 am

I'd see what the police say first. If you can get the manager to admit to them she personally locked it up, well....

willdahbe

Post by willdahbe » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:40 am

What a bunch of dumb shits... I say burn 'em good!

drb

Post by drb » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:01 am

call your credit card.
you are not liable for much of that at all.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:10 am

mcdonalds can afford much bigger lawyers, you'll never win and it'll cost you far more than a few hundred dollars. work WITH them to find the individual and fuck that person over.

or just get the charges reversed and move on with life. I dig that you're angry but sometimes it's best to not let these things explode.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

roby

Post by roby » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:44 am

go to your local press????

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:10 am

roby wrote:go to your local press????
fuck that

go to digg.com and reddit.com, they love these kinda stories there.

make sure u make a blog about it first then post the story linked to your blog to there.

add some funny internet / web2.0 references and maybe even a futurama or family guy joke and you will hit the front pages.

jb61264

Post by jb61264 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:11 am

Where's Nebulae when you need him???
3.2 GHz Windows XP, Live 7, Reason 4, FL Studio 7, Stylus RMX, Sytrus, Toxic III, Novation X-Station 49, Akai MPD24, EMu XK6, Roland MC-303, Gemini BPM5000 Mixer, MBox

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:12 am

jb61264 wrote:Where's Nebulae when you need him???
3... 2...
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:33 am

jb61264 wrote:Where's Nebulae when you need him???
I would imagine he would stay out of this,, i'm not sure lawyers are supposed to dispense with actual advice on an open forum much beyond how you should go about finding one and then getting their advice,,
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

the girl next door

Post by the girl next door » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:20 am

Torch the place when no ones lookin'

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:03 am

Call your credit card company first. Then, if you most eat at McDonalds again, pay in cash.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:49 am

Tone Deft wrote:mcdonalds can afford much bigger lawyers, you'll never win and it'll cost you far more than a few hundred dollars. work WITH them to find the individual and fuck that person over.

or just get the charges reversed and move on with life. I dig that you're angry but sometimes it's best to not let these things explode.
+1
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:39 pm

thelike5 wrote:Then, if you most eat at McDonalds again, pay in cash.
Yeah and besides. If you eat at McDonalds often enough, your CC or cash will be the least of your worries. :wink:

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:46 pm

I fail to see how the owner of the location where your credit card was stolen should have anything to do with what was done with it, unless s/he did it herself. It sounds like she's trying to be helpful too. And although I would always favour pestering a company like McDonald's as much as possible, I don't see how they could have anything to do with this is at all.

I don't really understand exactly what moral right you'd have to sue them, regardless of what you might get out of your flawed court system. This is quite obviously the case of one stupid employee nicking your card... If it paid its own phone bill with your credit card, it should take all of ten minutes to find out whodunnit, and then you, your credit card company and the police can take appropriate action.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.