SET: Nathan Vice - Powder @ Chao, San Juan, PR 12/28/07

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aqua_tek

SET: Nathan Vice - Powder @ Chao, San Juan, PR 12/28/07

Post by aqua_tek » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:16 pm

First time i play out in years... AND... my first ever set made on Live!!!!

Not uber complex but for my first time playing out with Live, methinks it has a nice flow to it 8)

I took the liberty of editing out a nasty little hiccup (ahhh computers...) nearing the middle of the set. Other than that... pure unadultered Ableton Live 7 + Zero SL action!

Hope you guys dig it.

TL:
Nathan Vice - Pardon My French
Random Gonzales - No Love
Nathan Vice vs. David Bowie - Lets Dance (Vice re-edit)
Nathan Vice vs. Dead or Alive - You Spin Me Round (Vice re-edit)
Michael Jackson - Billie Jean
Boys Noize - Arcade Robot
Nathan Vice vs. Boys Noize vs. Justice - Lava Robot of Nazareth (Arcade Robot + Lava Lava + Waters of Nazareth)
Justice - Waters of Nazareth
Nathan Vice vs. Justice - Phantom of Nazareth (Waters of Nazareth + Phantom pt II)
Nathan Vice vs. Michael Jackson vs. The Prodigy - The Way We Thrill (Thriller + The Way It Is)
Nathan Vice vs. Kool and the Gang - Jungle Boogie (Vice re-edit)
Nathan Vice - Trunk Full of Junk
The Prodigy - Girls
Nathan Vice vs. Wisin & Yandel - Sexy Movimiento for the Ravers (LOL moment of the night) :lol:
Mr. Sparkle Morris - Star Crash (Nathan Vice Rmx)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/bhua1v

or

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Q9A07QDH

52 minutes. 192 kbps

PS: the recording started a little late, thus the first couple seconds are gone. :oops:
Last edited by aqua_tek on Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.

beats me

Post by beats me » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:20 pm

First!

beats me

Post by beats me » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:52 pm

Alright. At which point in BT's glitch set here does your set start? :D

Liking it so far.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:00 pm

i know... probably got a little carried away with the glitches but i cant help it if i like them so much :oops: :lol:

eskay

Post by eskay » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:43 am

Why don't you embed the playlist in the lyrics portion of the mp3 file.

:D
"Computer don't create horrible music.....humans do."

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:38 am

The real question here is what did you use on a Mac to make those glitches o' plenty?

Cool set, how did the crowd receive it?

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:52 am

Thank you sir. The set was extremely well received, actually. Great reaction from the crowd. Everyone dancing. Hoots and shouts throughout its duration, and at the end of it. And a bit of laughter and more hooting during that "Sexy Movimiento" reedit, which was the intended reaction :lol:

I'm very happy with it overall. Reminded me of why I used to love to DJ. Gives one a nice boost in the pride department to see everyone responding positively to a set.

As far as the glitches are concerned, its just a pair of racks i made with Beat Repeat, Autopan, Redux, Flanger, and Filter Delay... all built-in Live effects. Relevant parameters mapped to macros, and macros mapped to the SL and just tweaking away at it realtime

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:03 am

aqua_tek wrote:As far as the glitches are concerned, its just a pair of racks i made with Beat Repeat, Autopan, Redux, Flanger, and Filter Delay...
Oh. That's all it is. I thought it was going to be something complex. :lol:

I look forward to the day when I can look at a statement like that and have it all made in 5 minutes while making a sandwich and watching Oprah.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:50 am

beats me wrote:
aqua_tek wrote:As far as the glitches are concerned, its just a pair of racks i made with Beat Repeat, Autopan, Redux, Flanger, and Filter Delay...
Oh. That's all it is. I thought it was going to be something complex. :lol:

I look forward to the day when I can look at a statement like that and have it all made in 5 minutes while making a sandwich and watching Oprah.
hah! yup. simplicity FTW.

gotta thank the racks and the SL though. i think those are the factors that make it sound like something a lot more complex.

PS: I made it all in about 10 minutes while making myself fajitas and watching Sally Jesse Raphael

manimal

Post by manimal » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:49 pm

Very nice set
I also noticed that one of your remixes made it onto Palms out sounds
remix sunday this week
Well done that man!!!
I sell Synth presets
https://sellfy.com/BoBSwanS

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:35 pm

manimal wrote:I also noticed that one of your remixes made it onto Palms out sounds remix sunday this week
just noticed this myself! 8O

glad you liked the set. thanks!

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:40 pm

really nice. Awefully glitchy, but in the best of ways.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:17 pm

Little more of a critique here. Great mix of a lot of crowd pleasers but not blatantly "here's a hit….and another…and another". There's plenty of nice surprise blends in there too. My only minor issue is that some of the glitches come off more as a dirty skipping CD than fancy performance work.

In general a lot of the mixes I have heard using Live seem to almost ooze with an urgency to perform some tricks that more traditional DJs don't feel the pressure to wow the crowd with technical performance. I haven't done a DJ set with Live yet but I could imagine the self imposed pressure to do more than just fire clips and let the songs ride. This is probably assumed pressure from the DJ community that frowns upon Live as a DJ application unless you are constantly fiddling with effects parameters. I'm not saying that is what happened with this mix but more of just a blanket statement towards what I have heard in the past.

It's also very interesting to hear differences from DJ mixes made at home to DJ mixes performed live. Sometimes the DJ mixes made at home, while great, wouldn't exactly get a dance floor moving and some live DJ sets don't always make sense while sitting in traffic after work.

Can you tell it's pretty damn slow at work today? Why am I even here.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:57 pm

i'm glad you liked the overall vibe of the set.

And i agree. I definitely need to work on my timing and other factors in order to get those edits sounding a little less dirty and a bit more "pro". At the risk of overusing this "excuse"... it is my first live set ever, so my lack of experience on stage with Live and i must admit a bit of a case of the jitters definitely had a lot to do with it. As I get more practice that should all improve, and the mixes will sound cleaner. :)

I also agree, there's a lot of pressure on us Live jockeys to go beyond the simple "mix a tune into another" routine, which sort of gives us the impression that a Live set should be drenched in FX and edits for it to be actually interesting and for us not to look like we're checking our emails on stage. As i listened to the set a couple of times over and over i sort of got the feeling that it might have been equally effective even if i'd laid off the glitches a little bit and used them more sparingly. As long as the vibe and the flow is good, I shouldn't feel the need to pull out the hat tricks. One good example of this was Sasha's essential mix from 2 or 3 years ago. I listened to it the other day cause i remembered it was made entirely on Live and i wanted to compare it to mine. It had a great flow and it was actually quite simple. No fancy tricks needed.

Once again, as time goes along i'll keep learning this.

However, i'll say this to my defense. Maybe it's the fact that it was live, and the edits were improvised and a bit of a deviation from the other guys who were doing the traditional mixing thing, but the set did get a great reaction from the crowd.

Probably also due to the fact that 99% of the people there were under some sort of influence :lol:

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:27 pm

No defense needed. It's still a great mix. I think with each new live set people will add a new "weapon" to thier bag of tricks. Glitch was your weapon of choice on this one as well as some other ones I am sure.

I only mentioned it as sort of a "ok, you got that one down." with, as you mentioned, a litte polishing needed. There was another Live DJ mix done by somebody on here a while back and I noticed that the 4/4 kick never let up and a bass frequency kill or dropping the bass drum track every so often could have made it a little more interesting. They admitted they were so focused on other aspects and effects on the mix that that didn't even cross their mind but agreed it wouldn't have been good to use every now and then.

Or maybe since I don't do Live DJ sets I should just STFU.