(OT) Who's your favorite Gangsta Rapper

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
jamester
Posts: 1272
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:43 am
Location: Baltimore, MD

Post by jamester » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:47 pm

Astral Fridge Magnet wrote:Perhaps I am misunderstanding something here, but I can't believe the implication that people who don't like rap music don't like black people. If you are serious about the statement, I can assure you it's wrong (at least in my case).
Right on.

I'm not big into country music...does this mean I don't like white people?

Plenty of black folks don't like rap...I guess they're just racist!

:roll:
Purrrfect Audio PC by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
REAPER, Live, Sound Forge

popslut
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:58 pm

Post by popslut » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:52 pm

jamester wrote:
I'm not big into country music...does this mean I don't like white people?
No, it means you don't like rednecks.

Or banjos.

leisuremuffin
Posts: 4721
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:45 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:58 pm

Astral Fridge Magnet wrote:
popslut wrote:When people say they don't like "rap music", what they really mean is they don't like black people.
Hmmmm!!!!!!! Hopefully you are just taking the piss.



Well, Leisuremuffin. To answer your question on "what gansta rap I have heard and don't like", I couldn't tell you the names as it doesn't grab me so I don't pay any attention to who performs it. I have heard loads though. I checked out the two artists you mention on YouTube and gave them a fair listen. My opinion hasn't changed. It does nothing for me. Lyrically it's interesting I guess. But let me turn the question around and ask you what you think of guitar virtuoso orientated music. People like Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Alan Holdsworth, Guthrie Govan, Brett Garsed, Frank Gambale etc.... What do you think of that sort of stuff? I love it, amongst many other styles of music, but it's not to everyone's taste. I though wouldn't accuse anyone of being an idiot or that they haven't heard enough music if it doesn't appeal to them. I just think that whether you like a particular genre of music or not just boils down to personal taste. It's an aesthetic choice that is made. I happen to like brocolli by the way, but many don't.

ahhh, interesting ploy.

of those you mention, i've only heard holdsworth, satriani and vai.

Now, i'm not into that stuff so much these days, but i wanted to be steve vai when i was 14 or 15. but i learned one of my favorite chords from him on his passion and warfare record.

honestly i'm more of a fripp or hillage guy when it comes to guitar god types. I like the textural stuff more than the widdly wees.


I'd give any of that stuff a listen though, and there may even be a track or two i haven't heard that might blow my mind, who fuckin knows? i don't.



.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

Sleep Tyght
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: New York

Post by Sleep Tyght » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:00 pm

jamester wrote:
Astral Fridge Magnet wrote:Perhaps I am misunderstanding something here, but I can't believe the implication that people who don't like rap music don't like black people. If you are serious about the statement, I can assure you it's wrong (at least in my case).
Right on.

I'm not big into country music...does this mean I don't like white people?

Plenty of black folks don't like rap...I guess they're just racist!

:roll:



I'm not that big into country music either. Can't say I don't like white people though.


I love everyone. Black. White. "Chi-nee". I just hate Niggas. They come in all shapes and colors if you haven't noticed.


As far as black people who don't like hip hop? Sometimes I think they really are racist. You know what really makes my balls itch? I ABSO-FUCKING-LUTELY find it both pathetic and hilarious when I'm around a bunch of white people, and there's another black person there who'll spout off about how much he/she loves Moby, Depeche Mode, and Josh Groban while proclaiming how fucking eclectic his/her taste in music is.



....And all the while that this idiot tries hard to imply that he/she doesn't listen to or even like hip hop...the 12 white people and I are busy discussing why the Bad Boy era despite the shiny suits really was the last great era in hip hop. Shiiiit...when is the last time we've seen a year lime '97 or '98 when a slew of CLASSIC or at least GREAT HIP HOP ALBUMS were released?


Yeah nights like that..I just wanna scratch my nuts and rub my fingers all over the face of a token negro.
Whatever Doesn't Kill You, Only Makes You Stranger.

leisuremuffin
Posts: 4721
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:45 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:01 pm

of terms of the not liking rap = racist thing, of course that isn't always true, but it's pretty common. And it's certainly why rap gets demonized for it's content on a regular basis while other forms of music and entertainment with the same violent/sexist/homophobic/etc themes are not, and often even critically acclaimed!



.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

popslut
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:58 pm

Post by popslut » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:07 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:...hillage...
He's a friend of mine. Lovely man.

EgAD
Posts: 751
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:35 pm

Post by EgAD » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:13 pm

:lol: token negros, there's one for every token.

the answer is simple astral F. magnet, I would never dismiss the whole of anything, that is why to answer your question that there is no genre of music that I don't like, now there are many many rappers I don't like, but dismiss the genre? why would I do that, did you dismiss satrianis whole genre because there are artist in that genre that you don't like, or what are you gonna tell me that you like everyone in that genre ?, well then ......
i won't dismiss rock because of the rockers I don't like, or country because of cowboy troy, or reagge, or jazz, or well.... I won't dismiss any whole genre out of hand.

ScottFree
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 9:43 pm
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Post by ScottFree » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:07 pm

My list of great "Gangsta Rappers"...

By great I mean, undeniable/unshakable confidence, underground and pop sensibiity, way above average lyrical wordplay, and good taste in beats.

Jay-Z, Beanie Sigel, Jadakiss, Young Jeezy (sometimes), Twista, Nas, T.I., Cassidy, Old NWA,

Sleep Tyght
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: New York

Post by Sleep Tyght » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:19 pm

ScottFree wrote:My list of great "Gangsta Rappers"...

By great I mean, undeniable/unshakable confidence, underground and pop sensibiity, way above average lyrical wordplay, and good taste in beats.

Jay-Z, Beanie Sigel, Jadakiss, Young Jeezy (sometimes), Twista, Nas, T.I., Cassidy, Old NWA,
\






And that's the nail in the coffin right there. Come with a gimmick all you want, but at least have SOME lyrical skill.

Contradicting my earlier statements, I don't REALLY have a problem with gangsta rap. Hey I did say i grew up on it. What I despise are rappers who have absolutely nothing to say other than gangsta shit...and even when they attempt THAT they absolutely suck.

I guess that's why I can't really get into southern hip hop. I only listen to Jeezy for the beats. I an't say T.I. sucks, but his last album sure did. I think "King" will someday be considered a classic. Damn...but artists like "Plies" a lot of these other half-assed wannabe actin' like a slave ass ringtone rappers...


They're the reason why I think there's serioously a conspiracy to do away with hip hop once and for all. Seems like you can't even get a deal today without not only performing for an exec...but having a dance to go along with your hit record. That's just taking "coonin'" to a whole new level when you're actually TOLD TO DANCE...and you actually have to bring along videos of your little brother and dem otha lil negroes performing the newest chicken slave dance just to show how cool.....

Nah fuck that...how "sambo" your new act proves to be. Damn "The Humpty Dance" was at least an obvious comedic dance. Well let me put it this way. if you're gonna come with a "Superman" dance, the least you could do is tell the kids to stay in school.


Even Soulja Boy was decent enough to do that. I can't talk down about Soulja Boy though. At least he isn't 35 and making music for kids and shit while spitting watermelon seeds all over the got damn camera.



http://www.waymorethanmusic.com/2008/01 ... -arab.html
Whatever Doesn't Kill You, Only Makes You Stranger.

leisuremuffin
Posts: 4721
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:45 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:45 pm

oh my fucking god.

I'm sorry but that is some funny funny shit.

funniest way ever to flip the rich boy hook.



.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

EgAD
Posts: 751
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:35 pm

Post by EgAD » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:11 am

Sleep Tyght wrote:
ScottFree wrote:My list of great "Gangsta Rappers"...

By great I mean, undeniable/unshakable confidence, underground and pop sensibiity, way above average lyrical wordplay, and good taste in beats.

Jay-Z, Beanie Sigel, Jadakiss, Young Jeezy (sometimes), Twista, Nas, T.I., Cassidy, Old NWA,
\






And that's the nail in the coffin right there. Come with a gimmick all you want, but at least have SOME lyrical skill.

Contradicting my earlier statements, I don't REALLY have a problem with gangsta rap. Hey I did say i grew up on it. What I despise are rappers who have absolutely nothing to say other than gangsta shit...and even when they attempt THAT they absolutely suck.

I guess that's why I can't really get into southern hip hop. I only listen to Jeezy for the beats. I an't say T.I. sucks, but his last album sure did. I think "King" will someday be considered a classic. Damn...but artists like "Plies" a lot of these other half-assed wannabe actin' like a slave ass ringtone rappers...


They're the reason why I think there's serioously a conspiracy to do away with hip hop once and for all. Seems like you can't even get a deal today without not only performing for an exec...but having a dance to go along with your hit record. That's just taking "coonin'" to a whole new level when you're actually TOLD TO DANCE...and you actually have to bring along videos of your little brother and dem otha lil negroes performing the newest chicken slave dance just to show how cool.....

Nah fuck that...how "sambo" your new act proves to be. Damn "The Humpty Dance" was at least an obvious comedic dance. Well let me put it this way. if you're gonna come with a "Superman" dance, the least you could do is tell the kids to stay in school.


Even Soulja Boy was decent enough to do that. I can't talk down about Soulja Boy though. At least he isn't 35 and making music for kids and shit while spitting watermelon seeds all over the got damn camera.



http://www.waymorethanmusic.com/2008/01 ... -arab.html


damn sleep tyght you hit so many nails on the head i can't even improve on it, some of that post was lyric worthy...."ringtone rappers" fuck I need a t-shirt for that one.

Hypomixolydian
Posts: 812
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:54 pm

Post by Hypomixolydian » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:04 am

EgAD wrote::lol: token negros, there's one for every token.

the answer is simple astral F. magnet, I would never dismiss the whole of anything, that is why to answer your question that there is no genre of music that I don't like, now there are many many rappers I don't like, but dismiss the genre? why would I do that, did you dismiss satrianis whole genre because there are artist in that genre that you don't like, or what are you gonna tell me that you like everyone in that genre ?, well then ......
i won't dismiss rock because of the rockers I don't like, or country because of cowboy troy, or reagge, or jazz, or well.... I won't dismiss any whole genre out of hand.

Well, until I actually like any gansta rap song or artist, I can say that it is valid to dismiss the genre based on my own musical tastes. Lyrically some rap is interesting. Though I did like The Message by Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5, but are they gansta rap? Because I don't like a certain genre doesn't mean I am an idiot who doesn't listen to music. It boils down to taste. That's all. I also happen to hate South American music like bossa nova, tango and whatever. Even more aggravating is South American folk music that involves the pan flute and guys wearing ponchos. Oh Christian rock music aggravates me too, but that doesn't mean I hate Christians.

What are your thoughts on Bulgarian 16th Century trappist monk mountain music?

EgAD
Posts: 751
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:35 pm

Post by EgAD » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:36 am

my first thought is it sounds intresting, I'd like to hear some. how many of those types of artist are you familiar with and do you have any recommendations?

btw i've seen satriani play in a poncho before

Hypomixolydian
Posts: 812
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:54 pm

Post by Hypomixolydian » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:13 pm

EgAD wrote:
btw i've seen satriani play in a poncho before
I have lost all respect for him now.

leisuremuffin
Posts: 4721
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:45 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by leisuremuffin » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:18 pm

wow astral, you're just exposing your ignorance even more.


"I also happen to hate South American music like bossa nova, tango and whatever."

amazing!


good luck to you sir. i wouldn't want to live in your head.




.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

Post Reply