(OT) Who's your favorite Gangsta Rapper

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Brkhlk

Post by Brkhlk » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:24 pm

ODB:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01WXVByGzv4

he was just a plain crazy genius.
beats me wrote: There are 2 hamsters between each jog wheel. That's 4 hamsters in total! Insane!

smutek

Post by smutek » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:43 pm

Sleep Tyght wrote:Or maybe I just figured if you're really so fucking real you'd sell that shit to the white community that's keeping you sidelined in this struggle. :roll:
They do, where do you think white folks buy their drugs?

For the most part though I think I agree with your post. There seems to be a difference between people who are exploiting and profiteering and those who are telling a story.

For what it's worth I think BIG was incredibly talented, but it's rare that I listen to him. For the most part the harder stuff that I like tends to be older, Face, Shug, MOP, Group Home, etc.

Then there's Gang Starr, I own everything they've ever released and I can't get enough.

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:04 pm

the whole NWA crew!
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:07 pm

djadonis206 wrote:I agree there to - it's like all these music aficionado's want to praise the fore fathers of gangster rap but not give any of the off spring their due credit

when in fact - the beats, lyrics and content of todays gangster rap far exceed the (then fresh get me wrong not) kind of stale and forced lyrics and rhymes of yesteryear

I love me some NWA and me and my girl were listening to "Dopeman" on the way to our holiday retreat when she so aptly noted "wow, this is so funny to listen to now, especially when this was all we listened to as kids."

I agree

here's the thing ad forgot to mention (that's me): one reason a lot of us like old school gangster rap is because it takes us back to what was probably a good time in our lives (usually the early 90's) most of us were 10 - 14 years old - in middle school, not a care in the world

it's not like those groups were the best mc's (except maybe scarface) <-- who was a member of the GETO BOYS first <---> who were (in fact) the most gruesome / grotesque rap group of that time

Willie DEE - "Thought he had cain but it was GOLD MEDAL flower" - My minds playing tricks on me.

It's 2008 and now a lot of us are just grown up - when in fact it's not like the message or attitude in gangster rap has changed - we have.

I believe the music used to be waaaaaay more violent, misogynistic and pointless then it is today

hell Eazy E died of AIDS, BIGGIE and TuPac were murdered. Bushwick Bill tried to kill his girlfriend and then put all that shit on a album (WTF!)

anyone remember "COP KILLER"?

as kids we ate all that shit up.

so by all that reasoning you could say I'm a 13 year old trapped in a 32 year old mans body :lol: trying to relive my glory days on a skateboard in downtown Seattle (ahhhh)

also:

I retract my statement that gangster rap will kill hip-hop - it's been around for far to long. The bad 80's bands that killed rock for those few years were only around for 2 to 3 maybe 4 years

E-40 15 plus years and he's underground (for the most part)

Cash Money records (10 to 12 years) <-- lil wayne, birdman, mannie fresh etc

hip hop and all forms of it aren't going anywhere anytime soon

and maybe some of us need to just admit "we're just getting too old to listen to that shit"

except me

some of you are turning into your parents - "well son back in my day, rappers had something to rap about..."

:lol:
Last edited by djadonis206 on Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Rogue Scrunt

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:17 pm

I am definitely an 18 YO trapped in 35YO body.

living my boyhood dream.

I haven't punched a clock in 7 years. The gangter rap albums really altered my reality
for lots of great records, check out,
http://stores.ebay.com/id=64360994?ssPageName=ME:F:ST

Hypomixolydian

Post by Hypomixolydian » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:33 pm

I think all gangsta rappers are crap, but to be fair, I'm not a fan of the genre. It all sounds the same to me.

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:41 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
djadonis206 wrote:
C.S. wrote:I always wondered what all the people who say "they just rap about hoes, rims, drugs, and grills" think they should be rapping about?

oh... and I can't believe I forgot to mention Trick Daddy. His verses on the new Dj Khaled are great.

education, Martin Luther King and strong proud black women

:roll: <-- that's a joke I love all those things

but that would be boring

like dance music without a baseline
I know a good freestyler when they can flow without swearing or talking about bitches or homicide. think about it, it's rare.

De La Soul, Tribe Called Quest, Pharcyde, People Under The Stairs, Jurrasic 5, Dr. Octagon as well as the whole rest of the Souls Of Mischief crew, and more barely even swear, that's intelligent rap and by all accounts they all put out great albums. then there's the more sellout acts like the Black Eyed Peas who changed the song 'lets get retarded' to 'lets get it started'.

De La Soul - the bizness "not from the PJs but I still got something to say"

stakes it high.
I wouldn't neccesarily call it "intelligent" rap just because they aren't talking about shooting people and smacking bitches.

People used to call Jeru the Damaja "intelligent" becuase he didn't talk about shooting peole and said "any idiot can let off a glock" but I wouldn't call that "intelligent". Common sense, sure but intelligent? If knowing that right from wrong is intelligence than I'd be the rhodes scholar of the game.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:43 pm

Astral Fridge Magnet wrote:I think all gangsta rappers are crap, but to be fair, I'm not a fan of the genre. It all sounds the same to me.

That's how I feel about dance music 8)
Ableton | Elektron

Music

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:51 pm

Really P.E. is my favorite, but i don't think i'd call chuck d gangsa
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

lola

Post by lola » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:23 pm

You guy's should check:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNJFq6VjHJI

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:29 pm

thelike5 wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:
djadonis206 wrote:
education, Martin Luther King and strong proud black women

:roll: <-- that's a joke I love all those things

but that would be boring

like dance music without a baseline
I know a good freestyler when they can flow without swearing or talking about bitches or homicide. think about it, it's rare.

De La Soul, Tribe Called Quest, Pharcyde, People Under The Stairs, Jurrasic 5, Dr. Octagon as well as the whole rest of the Souls Of Mischief crew, and more barely even swear, that's intelligent rap and by all accounts they all put out great albums. then there's the more sellout acts like the Black Eyed Peas who changed the song 'lets get retarded' to 'lets get it started'.

De La Soul - the bizness "not from the PJs but I still got something to say"

stakes it high.
I wouldn't neccesarily call it "intelligent" rap just because they aren't talking about shooting people and smacking bitches.

People used to call Jeru the Damaja "intelligent" becuase he didn't talk about shooting peole and said "any idiot can let off a glock" but I wouldn't call that "intelligent". Common sense, sure but intelligent? If knowing that right from wrong is intelligence than I'd be the rhodes scholar of the game.
'intelligent' is how it's often described as a genre, it's not just me. it's not just what they don't rap about. go listen to KRS One and tell me he's not operating on a higher level (pun intended.)

funny how people made the jump that all gangsta rappers have to come from the hood, that's the industry polish, you're buying what they're selling.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Moody

Post by Moody » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:39 pm

Street Military

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtQgIogcmgg

Can't fuck with H-Town rap!
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:47 pm

dango wrote:i don't listen to or watch all the crap you mentioned LM. and gangsta rap still sucks shit. it has nothing to do about being scared of black people you 8 ball, it has to do with not listening to under produced, no skill having crap. i listen to hip hop, there are artist out there that have mad skills in both the beat department and lyric department. but if your happy with the heard listening to that mainstream shit than by all means, i assume your top 40 ass used to jam britney and j-lo as well. might as well, it is the same crap.
would you call young geezys albums or manny freshes stuff "under-produced no skill having crap" ?

Hypomixolydian

Post by Hypomixolydian » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:09 pm

djadonis206 wrote:
Astral Fridge Magnet wrote:I think all gangsta rappers are crap, but to be fair, I'm not a fan of the genre. It all sounds the same to me.

That's how I feel about dance music 8)
Actually, come to think about it, I hate dance music too. Particularly trance. I have to say I find it a bit frustrating that there are loads of people out there getting rave reviews from music critics and the public. I buy into the hype a little and think they must be good, yet when I listen to it I think to myself that the music I make is far more interesting than what these so called great artists do. But I am a nobody in the music world and most likely always will be. I am not a cool person in the eyes of record company executives, so I'll never get signed no matter how good my music may be.

But yeah. Music is subjective. One man's meat is another man's poison.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:49 pm

Brkhlk wrote:ODB:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01WXVByGzv4

he was just a plain crazy genius.
how dare you link to the remix when the original is such a classic?!? ;)

If "Gangsta Rapper" means "West coast", then I dont have a favourite... all good hip-hop is east-coast, with very very few exceptions.