(OT) Who's your favorite Gangsta Rapper

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:37 am

Rogue Scrunt wrote:scarface - mr scarface is back
CPO - to hell and black w/ MC REN

CPO - I forget him - that's good stuff
Ableton | Elektron

Music

smutek

Post by smutek » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:40 am

Rogue Scrunt wrote:scarface - mr scarface is back
CPO - to hell and black w/ MC REN
Don't forget...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rKnMp9U-Lg

Rogue Scrunt

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:41 am

shit yes
for lots of great records, check out,
http://stores.ebay.com/id=64360994?ssPageName=ME:F:ST

Rogue Scrunt

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:42 am

for lots of great records, check out,
http://stores.ebay.com/id=64360994?ssPageName=ME:F:ST

smutek

Post by smutek » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:58 am

dango

Post by dango » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:15 am

which ever one just got locked up for doing dumb ass gangsta shit. and it seems my favorite gets to change weekly

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:22 am

smutek wrote:Don't forget...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rKnMp9U-Lg
:!:
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:15 am

I'm so glad to hear you mention him, ad, and i gotta say e-40.

like you said, the guy has been around for a long time, and is a master of independent promotion. and he really comes up with some amazing shit that really sticks in your head. i love a lot of bay area shit though, mac dre of course (rip), keak, federation (rick rock's production is so amazing)... How is it that so many guys from the yay have such weird fucking voices? shit is great, keak's is probably the fuckin strangest. And y'know, i really relate to lyrics that go back and forth from real hard cut throat gangsta shit ----> to popping E, doing blow, smoking weed and shrooming.

aaaanyway, yeah, i was shocked at how good those scarface records were too, i mean, i like the geto boys records, but I really liked the fix, and wish i knew where the fuck my copy went. I think a lot of people sleep on him.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

condra

Post by condra » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:30 am

I hate Gangster rap, especially the violent aggressive sexist or homophobic shit.

My favourite hip-hop act is Cyne.

Sleep Tyght

Post by Sleep Tyght » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:51 am

condra wrote:I hate Gangster rap, especially the violent aggressive sexist or homophobic shit.

I'm sick of nigga shit period.
Whatever Doesn't Kill You, Only Makes You Stranger.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:21 am

like there isn't any other entertainment that is violent, sexist or homophobic. If you don't like rap because of its content, you should probably turn off your TV and stop going to movies too. quit rock music as well, if you listen to that shit.

...or, figure out the difference between fantasy and reality.

...or open your mind enough to be able to enjoy a song without being attached the the perspective the story is told from. I find a lot of old folk music really beautiful and compelling, even when the stories in the songs are about terrible shit like murder, rape, incest, suicide, beating women, etc. etc. etc. Horrible content, but great stories. and those fucking songs are from the beginning of the last century and some even older! This wasn't invented by "ganster rappers." But so many white people are scared to death of black men.......

.lm.

dango

Post by dango » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:53 am

i don't listen to or watch all the crap you mentioned LM. and gangsta rap still sucks shit. it has nothing to do about being scared of black people you 8 ball, it has to do with not listening to under produced, no skill having crap. i listen to hip hop, there are artist out there that have mad skills in both the beat department and lyric department. but if your happy with the heard listening to that mainstream shit than by all means, i assume your top 40 ass used to jam britney and j-lo as well. might as well, it is the same crap.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:11 am

i'm sure that's a suitable form of discourse at the middle school you attend, but could you find something else to do while the grown-ups are talking? You can play your PSP if you keep the volume down.

anyway, while i'm here, how about some classic hardcore east coast shit?? I see this music as being a response to gangster rap in a way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ndo37LMzmU

sick, sick track.

.lm.

smutek

Post by smutek » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:58 pm

dango wrote:it has to do with not listening to under produced, no skill having crap
Now see what your doing, your pigeon holing the entire genre (or sub-genre?). That isn't right. Maybe I have a different definition of what "gangster rap" is, but not all of it is sensationalism or profiteering, there's a lot of cats writing about where they live, how they grew up, what they've seen and done.

Unfortunately there's a lot of cpeople in the ghetto that sling product. Some of them go on to write tunes about it. There's plenty of it that is just as real as the "socially conscious" stuff, in that it's people writing about their experience, and it is just as much hip hop as anything else. There's plenty of it that is quality as well with regards to production, execution and skill.

Just sayin man.

Sleep Tyght

Post by Sleep Tyght » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:07 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:like there isn't any other entertainment that is violent, sexist or homophobic. If you don't like rap because of its content, you should probably turn off your TV and stop going to movies too. quit rock music as well, if you listen to that shit.

...or, figure out the difference between fantasy and reality.

...or open your mind enough to be able to enjoy a song without being attached the the perspective the story is told from. I find a lot of old folk music really beautiful and compelling, even when the stories in the songs are about terrible shit like murder, rape, incest, suicide, beating women, etc. etc. etc. Horrible content, but great stories. and those fucking songs are from the beginning of the last century and some even older! This wasn't invented by "ganster rappers." But so many white people are scared to death of black men.......

.lm.

I hear you brotha. I hear you.

But if I were a dumbass I could watch a movie and read the end credits to understand that John McClane is actually just Bruce Willis. I think it's pretty obvious that Mr. Willis has never run around Nakatomi Plaza barefoot while kneecappin' the shit out of German terrorists.

Would he even need to admit to it? We SHOULD already know what the reality is. In the case of a gangsta rapper most of us(I guess) DO know what the reality is. I just find it so fucking pathetic that if you're gonna speak about the harsh realities of the ghetto then why do would you spend so much time and write so many lyrics boasting about exploiting your surroundings rather than talking about getting the FUCK OUT OF THOSE SURROUNDINGS?

And is it really that hard to tell a lil nigga to get a diploma instead of talking about what you've acquired without getting one yourself? If you're gonna take that route...I think B.I.G did it PERFECTLY with "Juicy".

But this isn't coming from the perspective of a shook white dude.

Yes I'm black...and no I'm not Uncle Tom'n it out...

And no I don't think I'm better than those niggas just because I'm 'so educated' and I walk around with Becky on my arm...

Nah....

It's just that...

When a mafucka can drop an album wih 19 tracks on it...and 17 tracks ain't about shit but selling coke to your own people, the 18th track is about fuckin' a bitch...

And the 19th track is about asking GOD for forgiveness for selling all that coke...

And then the first single on your sophomore effort??? Well guess what that's about? You guessed it...

Selling coke...

Now how the fuck am I supposed to take you SERIOUSLY as an artist...or rather someone who has a message that says something...anything...WHATEVER that might show you have at least SOME LOVE for the people you're setting out to destroy.

Yeah I grew up on gangsta rap, but then again I grew up on Public Enemy and whatever you might consider backpacker rap. I clicked on this thread expecting to see comments about Scarface, B.I.G, N.W.A, Snoop, and all that other 'nigga shit' that at least had SOMETHING WORTHWHILE TO SAY other than "I move keys" 247 fucking times on your debut album.

Eh...maybe I just figured we would have moved past the bullshit by now. Or maybe I just figured if you're really so fucking real you'd sell that shit to the white community that's keeping you sidelined in this struggle. :roll: On the surface this shit doesn't look any different from Sunni extremists murdering off the fathers and brothers of other Sunni Muslims who don't agree with their militant philosophies...including the "No Snitching" campaign.

Nah I'm scared at all. Just sick of it all.
Whatever Doesn't Kill You, Only Makes You Stranger.