(OT) Who's your favorite Gangsta Rapper

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
leisuremuffin
Posts: 4721
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:45 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:39 am

oooooooooo.


harassed by these sheriffs and park rangers
for smokin and drinkin perkin gettin blitzed
for resistin arrest with two cups up in my piss!
they wanna to put me to sleep nighty nighty
but imma hoodlum round my shit i'm too hyphy!


.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

Hypomixolydian
Posts: 812
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:54 pm

Post by Hypomixolydian » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:53 am

leisuremuffin wrote:cliches about the worst qualities people have to offer?


what, like close minded ignorance?



without fail, people who say things like "i like all music, except for rap" or, "i like all music, except for country" don't actually listen to very much music at all. If you dismiss an entire genre, without actually knowing shit about it, it just makes you an idiot. You're going to miss out on so much and not even know it. All because you thought you KNEW what it was.


The great thing about music in my opinion, is that if you are open minded it never ends. It would take more than a lifetime to explore all of it.


there are people in here shitting all over "gangster rap" who haven't even *really* listened to any without prejudice. And if they have, maybe only a handful of tracks....



and anyone judging the shit on moral content is a nuts as someone from peta protesting cartoons for cruelty to animals.




.lm.

I disagree with what you say Leisuremuffin. In essence you are saying that dismissing something because you don't like it means you are a closed minded and that you haven't fully explored it. Does that mean that because someone doesn't like brocolli they are closed minded and haven't fully explored it? Or that I wouldn't like the notion of having my testicles pierced means I am closed minded and haven't fully explored the possibilities? Ok, stupid examples.

To keep it within a musical context. My mother loves listening to people like Cliff Richard, Val Doonican (totally horrible), Perry Como, Dean Martin etc... I have listened to more than enough of that stuff to form a valid opinion and I just don't like it and find it crap. I personally don't want to spend "a life time" discovering that style of music in the hope that there will be something I could like. I have better things to do. I believe not liking something doesn't make you close minded or an idiot.

djgroovy
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:15 pm
Location: Portugal

Post by djgroovy » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:01 am

Er... none. Sorry.

leisuremuffin
Posts: 4721
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:45 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:49 pm

Astral Fridge Magnet wrote:
leisuremuffin wrote:cliches about the worst qualities people have to offer?


what, like close minded ignorance?



without fail, people who say things like "i like all music, except for rap" or, "i like all music, except for country" don't actually listen to very much music at all. If you dismiss an entire genre, without actually knowing shit about it, it just makes you an idiot. You're going to miss out on so much and not even know it. All because you thought you KNEW what it was.


The great thing about music in my opinion, is that if you are open minded it never ends. It would take more than a lifetime to explore all of it.


there are people in here shitting all over "gangster rap" who haven't even *really* listened to any without prejudice. And if they have, maybe only a handful of tracks....



and anyone judging the shit on moral content is a nuts as someone from peta protesting cartoons for cruelty to animals.




.lm.

I disagree with what you say Leisuremuffin. In essence you are saying that dismissing something because you don't like it means you are a closed minded and that you haven't fully explored it. Does that mean that because someone doesn't like brocolli they are closed minded and haven't fully explored it? Or that I wouldn't like the notion of having my testicles pierced means I am closed minded and haven't fully explored the possibilities? Ok, stupid examples.

To keep it within a musical context. My mother loves listening to people like Cliff Richard, Val Doonican (totally horrible), Perry Como, Dean Martin etc... I have listened to more than enough of that stuff to form a valid opinion and I just don't like it and find it crap. I personally don't want to spend "a life time" discovering that style of music in the hope that there will be something I could like. I have better things to do. I believe not liking something doesn't make you close minded or an idiot.

no, you're misunderstanding me. When i say there is a life time of stuff out there to explore, i don't mean just one genre until you find stuff you like. I mean the entire world of music, which is almost inexhaustible if you are resourceful and open minded. But that was simply an aside. I was saying that people who dismiss an entire genre are also usually people who aren't interested enough in music to go out and explore stuff they haven't heard or know about.


See, if you tell me you don't like broccoli, we have different tastes, I love broccoli! But if you tell me you don't like vegetables, and you're over 10 years old, you're just fucked up. If you tell me you don't like vegetable because they're green, you're fucked up and ignorant, because not all vegetables are green....



.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

Rogue Scrunt
Posts: 1272
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:32 am
Location: Colorado Springs, USA

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:54 pm

excellent comparison


I love vegetables, and I love all music
for lots of great records, check out,
http://stores.ebay.com/id=64360994?ssPageName=ME:F:ST

Hypomixolydian
Posts: 812
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:54 pm

Post by Hypomixolydian » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:29 pm

Fair enough Leisuremuffin with your response. Perhaps I misunderstood you due to how I read the wording of your post. But I am still not clear if in your eyes I am an idiot and don't listen to very much music because I don't like gansta rap and in essence have dismissed the genre.

leisuremuffin
Posts: 4721
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:45 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:42 pm

possibly. it depends on how strictly we define gangster rap and how much of it you have listened too without prejudice.


if we take a very strict definition of gangster rap as early 90's west coast stuff , i can easily believe that you've genuinely heard enough of it to decide fairly that you don't like it. (although i'm shocked that anyone making electronic music can totally dismiss nwa and dre's solo shit) a looser definition and i become more dubious to how much you really could have tried.


what "gangster" rap have you heard and not liked?


i guess its not really as cut and dry since we've narrowed it down to a sub-genre, but anyone who tells me, "i don't like x" where x = a pretty broad genre, like rap or country, gets filed in my drawer for people that don't know shit about music. I say rap and country because those are the two genres where i hear people say this very frequently.



.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

popslut
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:58 pm

Post by popslut » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:22 pm

When people say they don't like "rap music", what they really mean is they don't like black people.

Hypomixolydian
Posts: 812
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:54 pm

Post by Hypomixolydian » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:14 pm

popslut wrote:When people say they don't like "rap music", what they really mean is they don't like black people.
Hmmmm!!!!!!! Hopefully you are just taking the piss.



Well, Leisuremuffin. To answer your question on "what gansta rap I have heard and don't like", I couldn't tell you the names as it doesn't grab me so I don't pay any attention to who performs it. I have heard loads though. I checked out the two artists you mention on YouTube and gave them a fair listen. My opinion hasn't changed. It does nothing for me. Lyrically it's interesting I guess. But let me turn the question around and ask you what you think of guitar virtuoso orientated music. People like Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Alan Holdsworth, Guthrie Govan, Brett Garsed, Frank Gambale etc.... What do you think of that sort of stuff? I love it, amongst many other styles of music, but it's not to everyone's taste. I though wouldn't accuse anyone of being an idiot or that they haven't heard enough music if it doesn't appeal to them. I just think that whether you like a particular genre of music or not just boils down to personal taste. It's an aesthetic choice that is made. I happen to like brocolli by the way, but many don't.
Last edited by Hypomixolydian on Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tone Deft
Posts: 24154
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:17 pm

Astral Fridge Magnet wrote:
popslut wrote:When people say they don't like "rap music", what they really mean is they don't like black people.
Hmmmm!!!!!!! Hopefully you are just taking the piss.
there's an in between song snippet of audio De La Soul put on Stakes Is High, first you hear some country music in a bar, then a guy with a thick southern accent starts talking "rap music, it sucks, there's no musicality to it, it's just, just n*ggers talking." 8O

I'd say that it can come from people who just don't like black people, not all the time.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

EgAD
Posts: 751
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:35 pm

Post by EgAD » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:18 pm

L.M. i tip my hat to you sir.

dismissing whole genres of music is like saying you hate all numbers when you can only count to 5.


easy popslut they're not ready for that. it takes honesty.

Hypomixolydian
Posts: 812
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:54 pm

Post by Hypomixolydian » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:22 pm

Perhaps I am misunderstanding something here, but I can't believe the implication that people who don't like rap music don't like black people. If you are serious about the statement, I can assure you it's wrong (at least in my case).

EgAD
Posts: 751
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:35 pm

Post by EgAD » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:31 pm

i don't know where you're from magnet, but it happens everyday, it's a slice of americana, do you know how many youtube videos there are of people who dismiss the whole genre of rap because they don't like black people, , maybe you're not one of those people but you still need to wake up if you think they don't exist.

dismissing the whole genre is illogical at best,

did you know that there are black people who don't like other people cause their black?
take the blinds off.

Daim
Posts: 534
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:35 pm
Location: DE

Post by Daim » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:32 pm

Oli P.

Hypomixolydian
Posts: 812
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:54 pm

Post by Hypomixolydian » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:37 pm

EgAD wrote:i don't know where you're from magnet, but it happens everyday, it's a slice of americana, do you know how many youtube videos there are of people who dismiss the whole genre of rap because they don't like black people, , maybe you're not one of those people but you still need to wake up if you think they don't exist.

dismissing the whole genre is illogical at best,

did you know that there are black people who don't like other people cause their black?
take the blinds off.
Well, I am not from the USA and I didn't say these people don't exist. I am just saying I am not one of them.

Why not dismiss a genre of music if you don't like it? Do you like every genre of music? I don't.

Post Reply