ableton onboards effects, whats your opinion

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live

what do you think of the onboard audio-effects

Poll ended at Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:16 pm

below average
6%
average
23%
good
32%
really good
20%
perfect for me
19%

Total votes: 100

capo-wear-i

Post by capo-wear-i » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:09 pm

I've found that these days I use less and less 3rd party stuff - life's too short.

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:11 pm

capo-wear-i wrote:I've found that these days I use less and less 3rd party stuff - life's too short.
Yep!

And everytime you open that old set and see that you forgot to install that old space-sci-fi-vocal enhancer VST after your latest OS clean-up.

* sigh *

-M

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:12 pm

i play les pauls, but that's not about sound so much as feel (if i could find an ephiphone that played as well, i'd consider it). as for fx, it's weird this discussion of sounding "better." fx make things sound different. whether you like that different sound is a matter of personal preference. even really "bad" fx can give great results because they have character, give you something you're looking for. there's a long history of fx/gear once considered junk being exactly what folk are looking for (most fender guitars didn't start out high-end).

if you don't like the sound of live's fx, use something else. but don't claim they're generally "worse" somehow. that's like arguing a strat's worse than a gibson. and it's also obviously dependent on what else is in your signal chain. (some of my mics sound great to my ears with live's comp, others not so much, i use HW for them, etc.)

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:15 pm

dj superflat wrote:as for fx, it's weird this discussion of sounding "better." fx make things sound different.
Hear. Hear.

And that's why I've just decided to stay with the (pure) Ableton setup for now. I'll make it work. And learn how to make it work.

-M

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:57 pm

Amen Superflat!

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:25 pm

Except for some of the more extreme FSU plugins that I have cooked up myself, and for various loopers, I use Ableton Live effects *exclusively*

Oh, and of course the venerable Korg Stage Echo with spring reverb.... best tape delay EVER.

I find this endless hunt for plugins the most tedious gear acquisition syndrome sub-set... At least give me some hardware.

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:34 pm

my favorite tape delay ever: fulltone tube tape echo. every time i use it, i'm again amazed by how good it sounds.

ahlstrominfo

Re: ableton onboards effects, whats your opinion

Post by ahlstrominfo » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:36 pm

dj mush wrote:hello,

i was wondering what most users think of the standard onboard audio effects of ableton. (reverb, chorus, etc)

i have the impression that for example the reverb isn't really any good...
or am i missing some crucial settings?

whats your opinion?
and
what are some real good effects plugins that people can advise?

thank you!
I remember back in the days when I was making music with a dishwasher, a sampler and some shitty effect in the sampler.
What happened to those days. Now it's all about the VSTs and AUs and the STDs and the upgrades and downgrades and the bass and the sidechain.
Dammit Im going lo-fi on your asses.
My old signature was pretty stupid, so I changed it to this one.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:40 pm

i'm on board the "they work perfectly fine for me" train, especially with the improvements in L7.

i've always been this way though. I actually dont have any 3rd party FX plugins. I prefer to make the built-in ones work. :)

blank

Post by blank » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:57 pm

They suite me well.

Once mounted in racks it could gives impressive results.

I still mostly use them cause of the built in integration. I love the ableton gui designs and the automation is most of the time more easy with built in stuff.

Same for the instruments, I find myself using only absynth and electronic intruments xt plugs now, the rest is built in ableton stuff.

Oh yeah, and the excellent lucifer plugin :)

-B
feug.net -:- virb.com/feug

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:46 am

Most of Ableton's effects are pretty good.

Pity that reverb and chorus are 2 of the weaker fx, given that they are my 2 biggest 'go to' fx but EQ8 and Compressor in Live 7 are now excellent.

Most of the other effects such as autopan. phase/flange, delay and filters are OK for free, better 3rd party stuff exists but you can do quite a bit.

Saturator is quite nice too as is Beat Repeat.

Overall I rate it as Good. I think Logic, Sonar and Samplitude have better fx in the box overall but you can do quite a bit with what is provided. Certainly Cubase's in the box are no better, ditto ACID. Reason and most other DAWS. Like the previous poster mentioned, racks gives you a lot of extra flexibility and you can construct better fx (albeit more CPU hungry) in Live this way.

Also Live has some quite nice MIDI fx, the arps are good, as are scale/chord etc.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

noisetonepause
Location: Second row from the expensive puddle, under ten others

Post by noisetonepause » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:55 am

Let's just say I've never felt the need to throw squillions at other plugins.. And even though I've had chinese demos installed from time to time, I've never bothered to reinstall any of them after a HD wipe or system upgrade... Maybe I'm just not too particular about my effects...

Mind you this new external audio effects stuff does mean that I've got one on the used ads, constantly..
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

dcease

Post by dcease » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:56 am

i love live's plugs. i love 3rd party plugs, also. haven't spent too much money on the one's i have bought, got some nice deals, and regulary use some free ones. i don't really worry that i need more. i would however, like to get a little more outboard.

and it is all about the racks.

not too comfortable with logic's plugs, yet, but i am really enjoying the instruments.

i'd rather use only live plug-ins for ever and ever than using any of protools native plugs again. except expand. good for what it is, and free*.

condra

Post by condra » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:04 am

I love Autofilter, just because it is so quick and easy.

I also love Beat Repeat, especially when combined with Saturator and another Beat Repeat, thats how I rollll.
Still waiting for Beat Repeat II.

I would love to see the introduction of an envelope based multi effect unit (ala Stormgate, Lucifer, Artillery, etc.), or an envelope module as part of the rack feature. Basically "dummy clips for dummys"!
Would be great for producers and DJs alike.

krank

Post by krank » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:16 am

How come people claim EQ8 sounds better than EQ4? The algo's the same AFAIK, EQ8 simply has added functionality.