running a live set off usb flash drive

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bagginz

Post by bagginz » Sun May 18, 2008 1:19 am

I've been using a SanDisk Cruzer Contour USB Flash Drive U3, 8GB as a complete backup system for my live shows.

Read throughput is reported to be just over 25 M/B sec

I used to lug around an external USB drive with a drive image and boot cds.

The stick is a much better situation as it has no moving parts,therefore is less prone to failure in stressful gig situations and is fraction of the weight and size.

Here's a tip for you...

I have a copy of Live installed on the stick as well as the complete set.

Because Live in demo mode will load a prearranged set but not save, it means that I can run both from the stick.

In a worst case scenario it's even possible to borrow a random laptop or PC and run Abe Live and my set from the USB stick.

It's a great solution for a backup

Cheers,
bagginz

Lo-Key Fu

Re: running a live set off usb flash drive

Post by Lo-Key Fu » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:41 am

Thought it was time to pull up this old thread given that I have now been using a USB stick (the same Lexar as noted above in fact) with my live rig since originally posting this article over a year and a half ago.

Although prices of SSD drives have dropped considerably since the original post (and hence may be an even more viable option these days depending on relative price), I can report nothing but reliability, quick response and satisfaction from using a USB stick in this manner and strongly recommend the option to any of you out there who might be struggling with HD throughput on an older system in live environments.

While all of the information relevant to this approach is detailed above in the rest of this thread, to briefly summarise:

For live purposes, it seems that the issue with many standard laptop HDs is not so much peak throughput, but the consistency of throughput. Using a USB stick as a direct replacement for a (non SSD) HD solves this issue and can provide extremely consistent throughput seemingly irrespective of external factors such as subbass vibration or ambient/system heat.

Hope this information is of use to some of you out there and by all means post any results if you have the time and/or interest.

All the best.

antandra

Post by antandra » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:04 pm

What if you're using loads of mp3s in your set which are converted into wavs into Live's decoder cache folder? Do you need to put the decoded folder on the USB stick for this to work?
Cheers,

Antandra
Producer/Performer
http://www.antandra.com

Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may not remember; Involve me and I'll understand.
-Chinese Proverb

bupper

Post by bupper » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:30 pm

the most important thing in getting a windows laptop to run off a usb drive is doing this - In the device manager (Start > Control Panel > System and Security > System > Device Manager), in the “Universal Serial Bus controllers” section, right click each "USB Root Hub", choose "Properties > Power Management" and untick the "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option.
otherwise windows will try to shut idown power on the usb ports whenever it feels like it &even when it is being used. Also makes anything running off usb 100% more efficient, like usb soundcard etc...
I only have an ols emagic emi 2/6 soundcard which is usb 1.1 & I can use all 2 inputs + 6 outputs AT THE SAME TIME on a netbook!