New 8core, trigger finger and Live 7

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
divisional

New 8core, trigger finger and Live 7

Post by divisional » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:21 am

Well, I just took the big plunge for a major upgrade to my home studio and bought the new Mac Pro 8core, Live 7 (upgrade from 4) and a new Trigger Finger - all in the mail!

Might sound like a dim question, but the Trigger Finger should dial into the new Drum Racks deal in Live 7 right? One friend told me it should be a piece of cake, and another said possibly not...

I am looking forward to what kind of performance I will get out of Live going from an iMac and Live 4 to this new set-up!

joel

nowtime

Re: New 8core, trigger finger and Live 7

Post by nowtime » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:34 am

divisional wrote:the Trigger Finger should dial into the new Drum Racks deal in Live 7 right?
Yes. But with only 8 cores you're only gonna get a maximum of maybe 3-note polyphony. That should at least cover your kik, snare and hats, though. :wink:
Life is Good

dcease

Post by dcease » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:32 am

probably lots of bounces and freezes :D
but seriously, have fun. that thing should last you 5-10 years. i know it would me!

the trigger finger should work fine with the drum racks. mine aint got no usb, so i can't take advantage of this functionality, but manually assigning knobs and such is pretty straightforward. you'll make it work, for you. otherwise sell me that computer if doesn't make the music you want! :lol:

divisional

Post by divisional » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:00 am

dcease wrote:probably lots of bounces and freezes :D
but seriously, have fun. that thing should last you 5-10 years. i know it would me!

the trigger finger should work fine with the drum racks. mine aint got no usb, so i can't take advantage of this functionality, but manually assigning knobs and such is pretty straightforward. you'll make it work, for you. otherwise sell me that computer if doesn't make the music you want! :lol:
I am really looking forward to it. I have tried to be patient over the years - but this one just made me finally jump. I do expect to get 5 to 10 years easy out of it... with all that expandability :) I went with 4 Gigs and a Terabyte of storage - so that had BETTER keep me cool for awhile.

faze

Post by faze » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:03 am

Cue Napoleon Dynamite voice... "Lucky!"

:lol:

Enjoy your new rig, man. 8)

cavern

Post by cavern » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:23 am

showoff

divisional

Post by divisional » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:32 am

faze wrote:Cue Napoleon Dynamite voice... "Lucky!"

:lol:

Enjoy your new rig, man. 8)
Thanks! I am using this as a BIG motivator to be more creative and write more music...

forge

Post by forge » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:12 am

divisional wrote: I do expect to get 5 to 10 years easy out of it... .
oh man I'm jealous

but I bet it doesnt last that long...you think it will meet the needs of anything you might ever ask of it but in 2013 when all the kids are making their beats virtually in a holodeck you'll be all "damn I wist I'd waited till the 600 core 512 TB FlashRAM machines came out"

ilia

Re: New 8core, trigger finger and Live 7

Post by ilia » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:27 am

nowtime wrote:
divisional wrote:the Trigger Finger should dial into the new Drum Racks deal in Live 7 right?
Yes. But with only 8 cores you're only gonna get a maximum of maybe 3-note polyphony. That should at least cover your kik, snare and hats, though. :wink:
I thought the rule of thumb was about 2 cores per note, so that should give him generous 4 voices (and seriously, who in their right mind would need more?)