Producing commercial/Professional music using Ableton alone.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eggnchips

Producing commercial/Professional music using Ableton alone.

Post by eggnchips » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:07 am

Has anybody ever done this? Most equipment lists of signed up artists are as long as a welshman's bits. I hear great tunes and wonder if it would be possible to make these using Ableton alone and maybe some plug-ins.
I know some artists who actually smirk at Live thinking of it as a mere toy when it comes to production.
Casio keyboard with 48k ZX Spectrum, a couple of tambourines and a triangle.
MUHK RECORDS

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:36 am

Of course it can be done, it has been done.

He who smirks first is premature, it's the last smirk which is important :lol:

Live with no external plugins has even been used successfully. Live with plugins is enough power for almost any production scenario.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

hat

Post by hat » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:48 am

I have recorded at least a dozen tv commercial scores using only Ableton Live.
Furthermore, half of them were written, mixed, mastered and sent as mp3 to the client directly from a coffee shop with internet connection, I'm not even kidding.
At the time, I had 3 roommates and a tiny, stuffy bedroom with no windows, so getting out of the house was an integral part of retaining my sanity, while still being able to do these jobs.

Sony 7506 were the headphones used.

So yeah, if there's any skepticism about Live being as "pro" as any other DAW, well think again. It's just a tool to record/arrange music.
So, if music is what you make, then music is what you will hear, no matter what you use.

:wink:

DSILVR

Post by DSILVR » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:01 am

Thats sooo wicked ^^

eggnchips

Post by eggnchips » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:12 am

Then there's hope for us all.
MUHK RECORDS

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:12 am

It's being done every day actually. I've done it, and so have maaaaaany other people who are way too cool to even come on the forum.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:13 am

http://www.myspace.com/timothyallanmusic

http://www.myspace.com/nebulae

http://www.myspace.com/neonstereo

http://www.myspace.com/n8vice

You tell me.

I'm pretty sure those are all just Live or mostly Live artists and as far as plugins they aren't using any more or less plugins than somebody using another DAW.

They are all also active members of this board and can correct me if I am wrong on any of this.

solovox

Post by solovox » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:29 am

Same here for myself...television work and various video projects done with Live...plus 95% of my dance and downtempo tracks

www.myspace.com/solovox

www.solovox.com
Live Show Rig: MacBook Pro, 2.3ghz Intel i7, 16GB RAM, Motu Ultralite

Desktop Rig: 8 core Xeon, 20 gig RAM, RAID 0 drives, Zoom LiveTrak L-8, Windows 10

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:01 am

sorry, but it's actually a dumb question. people have made incredibly successful records on even the most basic technology. put another way, there's almost no recording technology you can name that someone hasn't made a seriously successful recording on, whether it's a cassette 4 track or a game boy or whatever. if someone's not successful at making professional/commercial music, the technology available to them is almost never to blame (talent finds a way around -- or, more often, to make use of -- whatever technological limitations it may face). so use whatever you like using and get to it, rather than worrying about whether the tools at your disposal are up to snuff.

Lo-Key Fu

Re: Producing commercial/Professional music using Ableton al

Post by Lo-Key Fu » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:07 am

eggnchips wrote:Most equipment lists of signed up artists are as long as a welshman's bits.
Without question mate; though it gets interesting when you consider that some items on those lists may be there purely for endorsement purposes and associated kickbacks; yet others added simply because the artist can afford them.

Don't get me wrong, if I was a multi-squintapillionairre with endorsements out the wazoo I would undoubtedly have a lot more kit than I do currently; but with today's technology as is, I would still be using Live as my studio and stage cornerstone.

eggnchips wrote:I know some artists who actually smirk at Live thinking of it as a mere toy when it comes to production.
People often try to justify their decisions by persuading you to change your own - the more desperate by whatever means necessary (including ridicule).

In the subjective realm of personal choice, the reality is that no DAW is better than another, but one may well be better for you.
Last edited by Lo-Key Fu on Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:10 am

dj superflat wrote:sorry, but it's actually a dumb question. people have made incredibly successful records on even the most basic technology. put another way, there's almost no recording technology you can name that someone hasn't made a seriously successful recording on, whether it's a cassette 4 track or a game boy or whatever. if someone's not successful at making professional/commercial music, the technology available to them is almost never to blame (talent finds a way around -- or, more often, to make use of -- whatever technological limitations it may face). so use whatever you like using and get to it, rather than worrying about whether the tools at your disposal are up to snuff.
never said better :)

eggnchips

Post by eggnchips » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:31 am

knotkranky wrote:
dj superflat wrote:sorry, but it's actually a dumb question.
Erm, what's dumb about it? It's a pretty serious one if you ask me.
Anyway there are bound to be biased answers on an Ableton forum.
MUHK RECORDS

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:38 am

eggnchips wrote:
knotkranky wrote:
dj superflat wrote:sorry, but it's actually a dumb question.
Erm, what's dumb about it? It's a pretty serious one if you ask me.
Anyway there are bound to be biased answers on an Ableton forum.
Well shit, I didn't mean that fucking part.

johanze

Post by johanze » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:46 am

Totally.

More than half of the spots on this page were done in Ableton alone, and the other's would have had some ableton re-wiring going on.

http://www.petejonesmusic.com/work.html
-------------------------------
pete@petejonesmusic.com
composer/sounddesigner

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:51 am

i dunno
i dont think you could make a commercial release in live.. its a bit german and all.. i dunno, interesting question though.