pissed off about live 4

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eduardo especial

pissed off about live 4

Post by eduardo especial » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:43 pm

actually im pissed about the thousands of dollars i pissed away to apple/emagic. will i even even have a use for logic after live 4? i doubt it. ableton has just stepped up the whole damn game now. im probably not alone when i say that the next few weeks will be a time of practicing buddist like patience waiting for live 4.

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:46 pm

ohmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

Verne Andru

Post by Verne Andru » Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:20 pm

I dumped Logic when they dumped Windows support - stupid move Jobs. I've been using a combo of Cubase SX and Live 2 - if Ableton has done their job, that list might just get slimmed down to Live 4. Here's hoping! 8)
www.VerneAndru.com - Portfolio site
420 - Part of the Greatest Story Ever Told project site

hat

Post by hat » Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:55 pm

I'm thrilled about Live 4, so much that I'm a bit pissed at myself for having spent $1000 on Logic Pro last month. I've barely had any time to use it and now this, making just about any other software obsolete....

Anyone want my Logic Pro for $800? ;)

Oh well, such is life, hats-off to the Abes....

ekko

Post by ekko » Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:11 pm

I'm VERY pumped about L4, but I can't see myself dumping Cubase just yet. I still do a lot of full band recording: live drums, bass, guitars, vocals, etc...and as amazing as L4 looks, I don't know that it can replace something like Cubase as a full-blown recording and mixing environment.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

jed

Post by jed » Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:40 pm

Why couldn't it? It did for me. Used to use Logic to multitrack - moved to multitracking with Live in 3 and haven't looked back.

ekko

Post by ekko » Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:41 pm

I guess I haven't really pushed Live that hard yet for audio tracking. You're saying I could do 16 channels of live audio simultaneously into Live?

Maybe I'll give it a go this weekend, just for fun.

loophead

Post by loophead » Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:48 pm

I've certainly done 8 stereo tracks simult into a Live session running @ 16 stereo clips and a few plugs....

ekko

Post by ekko » Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:53 pm

Well I will certainly give it a go and see how it is. Thanks!

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:57 pm

I will probably be keeping my Logic copy to use it mainly for mixing (ReWire syncing both app's) music I have done in Live 4 and also for mastering of the mix. I have noticed that I'm getting a better sound that way compared to rendering a 24 bit file directly from Live 3 and mastering it it in Peak.

Now I just wish I could freeze my body and mind and wake up the day Live 4 is up for download ;-)
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:09 pm

^ ekko

It's up to your Pc's configuration. I remember when I use to run cubase, they used to have links to sites on the forum that would tell me what to do to my system to dedicate it to cubase...but then every other app would have problems.....

With Live, I have recorded up to 6 seperate tracks simul....?...at once, while my PC was downloading, AND the Nortons Virus checker was running....and barely saw a budge in the 'CPU usage' marker. and thats without altering my systems performance setup.

I've never had a need to record 16 at a time...but I'm sure if Cubase can do it, then Live will knock it out the box!

hmurchison

What a love fest !

Post by hmurchison » Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:20 pm

Great news! Live 4 looks great people! I'm definitely buying in but remember you are musicians first. Applications are just tools in our toolbox. You shouldn't regret purchasing anything. Logic Pro has plugins up the wazoo Live has an unbeatable UI for doing really cool things. It doesn't matter how you get that promised land where all the music slams, it matters that you get there period.

Way to go Ableton. May your product find its way into many new homes. Mine included :lol:

Re: What a love fest !

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:03 pm

hmurchison wrote:I'm definitely buying in but remember you are musicians first. Applications are just tools in our toolbox. You shouldn't regret purchasing anything. Logic Pro has plugins up the wazoo Live has an unbeatable UI for doing really cool things. It doesn't matter how you get that promised land where all the music slams, it matters that you get there period.

that's the first sensical thing anyone has said regarding Live 4. if platinum albums can be made with a Commodore 64 and an Akai S2000, this is only a bonus. i think Ableton's work is remarkable, but in the end its the musician that creates the tracks, not the program.

ekko

Post by ekko » Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:26 pm

Willyum wrote:^ ekko

It's up to your Pc's configuration. I remember when I use to run cubase, they used to have links to sites on the forum that would tell me what to do to my system to dedicate it to cubase...but then every other app would have problems.....

With Live, I have recorded up to 6 seperate tracks simul....?...at once, while my PC was downloading, AND the Nortons Virus checker was running....and barely saw a budge in the 'CPU usage' marker. and thats without altering my systems performance setup.

I've never had a need to record 16 at a time...but I'm sure if Cubase can do it, then Live will knock it out the box!

I'm not saying my system (Mac!) can't, I just haven't tried it.

Live 4 / Logic Pro

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:03 pm

Live 4 looks incredible! I'll be upgrading from 3 A.S.A.P.

Is it possible to completely integrate Live with Logic Pro? I absolutely love Logic's plug ins & would really like to be able to use what appears will be an extremely easy & flexible midi implementation from Live to run them.

I still want to be able to do all the complex stuff logic can do with it's environments though.

Are ReWire, Bidule, Jack or (is it Midipipe?) capable of this?

Flying both audio & midi -- back and forth & through-- the two applications would be absolutelly amazing.

Elastic, morphing audio & midi for everyone!