reaktor

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Anubis

Post by Anubis » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:32 pm

rozling wrote:
Anubis wrote:The real jewel in Reaktor is the user library. They got some real geniuses in there that come up with some amazing instruments. Last night I found a brass synth that blows ALL the commercial products out of the water. As far as CPU goes, some ensembles run at 12% and up to 23% on my machine. So you record something you like and you freeze it- no biggie. :roll:
+1 - that wasn't this brass synth by any chance?
Yeah that's it, Silverwood. I have Electronic Instruments 2 which has some of the craziest grooveboxes out there.
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

mdk

Post by mdk » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:37 pm

if i had a mac i would build one..well i have a mac, but its running linux and its a ppc mac so im not even sure that the executable would work on an intel mac. i suppose it would. but i havent got time to reinstall osx on it right now.

and to be honest id rather get this machine setup to triple boot linux / xp / osx first..well ideally id like to run osx in a virtualbox vm, but at the moment its lacking pae support, although they say it'll come in the future.

so, the short answer is, sorry.

hang on, osx comes with ruby so from what im reading if you are on leopard you should be good to go with the source package.

if you are on tiger i think its a bit more complicated.

in leopard you should be able to download the source, unpack it somewhere then from the terminal do

> sudo gem install -r wxruby

(you might have to choose the right package here for osx, probably called darwin or something)

this will install the ruby package for wxWidgets, its a UI framework.

then in the source folder just do

> ruby init.rb

that should work.

what are you using?
Pr0k Records - Bandcamp Facebook Twitter

mdk

Post by mdk » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:02 pm

right, i've reinstalled osx on my ibook and have jumped through a variety of hoops to try and get an executable packaged up but its not quite working yet.

hopefully the developer of the tool im using to create the executable will get back to me soon and help me sort the issue out. I'll keep you posted.

arachnaut

Post by arachnaut » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:00 pm

mdk wrote:
grok wrote:For some samplemaps all samples need a root of 60. Do you think it is possible to fix this???
I just uploaded a new version where I have added an option to fix the root notes to 60.

tested and working fine here. hope it works for you

I'll be writing about any further updates on my site here :

http://relivethefuture.com/choronzon

its about time i added something new to it :)
Nice program, thanks!

The sample map can actually hold 128 samples (0,127).
This program only allows 127. There's a few places in the source
where a 127 should be 128.

mdk

Post by mdk » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:05 pm

thanks. i hadnt noticed. i'll change it :)

grok

Post by grok » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:01 pm

mdk wrote:
grok wrote:For some samplemaps all samples need a root of 60. Do you think it is possible to fix this???
I just uploaded a new version where I have added an option to fix the root notes to 60.

tested and working fine here. hope it works for you

I'll be writing about any further updates on my site here :

http://relivethefuture.com/choronzon

its about time i added something new to it :)
Just dld it, did not tested it, but I'me shure it will work. If not I'll let you know.
And thanx a million times for sharing it
Greetz
Grok
P4 Desktop-Echo Gina-Laptop P4-Motu Ultra Lite-AkaiMFC-Sherman-TeeBee 383-Reaktor-Live 7-Alesis Mk2-Novation Remote-Phat Boy-DBX comp-Korg KaossPad 3-Kaossilator-Akai MPD32

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:26 am

esky wrote:...last week a Minimoog Emulation appeared in the user library ,so good that i can through out my Arturia...and its for free!
do you know what this ensemble is called?
:: STAK ::
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds

moodyman

Post by moodyman » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:05 am

i think it's called minimood or another good emulation is fatcat from the user lib

kraze

Post by kraze » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:28 am

Reaktor is the omega and all that jazz.
It just keeps blowing my mind every single time i've used it, and i've used it since the Generator days.

Don't buy it unless you've got alot of time to really get into it.

The only thing i've had a problem with is my serial, i can't use it with the user library. I think someone has hi-jacked it. That's a drag because i've seen a few ensembles that has been way more inspirational than most commercial plugins.

eduardoborsuci

reaktor use

Post by eduardoborsuci » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:48 am

I've been experimenting with reaktor for some time (cca month), I've been using it for creating custom instruments and audio looper.

I think that Reaktor is meant to be used as an instrument/effect plugin, can't imagine programming the sequencer + pattern editor + fx box one-in-all... It's just too much work :P

jesQuick

Post by jesQuick » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:30 am

Ahh, Generator... Remember having a cracked version of that back in the days... Blew my mind the day i managed to build a real sampler... Good times... Gotta try the demo now, haven't touched anything like Generator/Reaktor in years. But have heard a lot of cheers for especially the user library...

Best

-j

mdk

Post by mdk » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:46 pm

well, i couldnt get the ruby version working on the mac so i rewrote it in java. Its tested and works for me on both windows and osx. :D

I also added an option to set all the samples to loop, it should hopefully set the end loop point to the end of the sample.

you can get the app here :

http://relivethefuture.com/code/MapFileBuilder.jar

and the source here

http://relivethefuture.com/code/MapFileBuilder-src.zip

the source also has the eclipse config files so you should be able to just import it into eclipse if thats the kind of thing that interests you. :)

im going to add another feature when i get time, which is to allow you to choose to fill up each sample map.
I've been working with these a lot recently :

http://www.galbanum.com/products/archit ... eforms-ce/

which despite its 'cakewalk' tag is just a set of .wav files. really great for loading into a sampler and using as oscillators and lfos.

anyway, what I want is to make sample maps from those but without any gaps so you can switch maps and know you have a full 0->127 range for the select input. so expect that soon.

any other ideas are welcome.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:02 pm

Anyone here check out that other modular synth building tool that just came out last year? Got some good reviews...

mdk

Post by mdk » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:42 pm

you mean synthmaker?

yeah, i bought it quite a while ago. its great and in some ways you can do more than reaktor, although its not really that good for building clock-synced stuff like sequencers or drum machines. although the developers say that they are working on a new event system which will cover that gap.

there's quite a lot of stuff in there that i'd love to see in reaktor. text file parsing, code editor, more flexible UI components.

talking of galbanum, i also built a synth in synthmaker specially for those waveforms here :

http://synthmaker.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... light=wave

never got round to finishing it, but the source file is there if anyone wants it :)

as you can see the envelopes are really nice, theyre built by a couple of guys from the forum from the lower level components..

anyway, definitely recommended if you like modular stuff..if you can handle reaktor its similar enough to pick most of it up quickly.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:50 pm

mdk wrote:you mean synthmaker?

yeah, i bought it quite a while ago. its great and in some ways you can do more than reaktor, although its not really that good for building clock-synced stuff like sequencers or drum machines. although the developers say that they are working on a new event system which will cover that gap.

there's quite a lot of stuff in there that i'd love to see in reaktor. text file parsing, code editor, more flexible UI components.

talking of galbanum, i also built a synth in synthmaker specially for those waveforms here :

http://synthmaker.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... light=wave

never got round to finishing it, but the source file is there if anyone wants it :)

as you can see the envelopes are really nice, theyre built by a couple of guys from the forum from the lower level components..

anyway, definitely recommended if you like modular stuff..if you can handle reaktor its similar enough to pick most of it up quickly.
Wow, that's brilliant! It looks really cool - nice work! How heavy is it on the CPU. Also, couldn't you do the same thing with those galbanum waves by making a rack with 4 samplers or simplers?

What else needs to be done with this synth, btw? How close to being done are you?