reaktor

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
stockylocky

reaktor

Post by stockylocky » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:57 am

Hi all, im thinking of investing in reaktor solely to use with live.... anyone using it successfully or otherwise ?
Al

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:08 am

lots of us,,
be a little more specific,,
what do you think you want to use it for??
it likes to eat cpu's,,
how big is your computer,,?
do you see your self wanting to run it in real time??
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

stockylocky

reaktor

Post by stockylocky » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:24 am

Hi sorry not at my computer at mo so cant give full details..... but its not the most up to date machine. I really just wanna use it as a sound source as I once heard some AMAZING sounds coming out of it..... I wouldnt be using it live or anything once ive created a piece i would be importing it to audio to live... er hope that helps.. its good to know people are using it !!

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:51 am

you can get any kind of electronic sound out of reaktor.

Its not the easiest thing in the world to use, think of it as a "build your own synth kit" where you can make your own and use other peoples. Its got quite a few included and NI have a user library where people allow others to download synths FOC, and some people have setup websites where you can buy their synths that they have made themselves.

I think its a good program to have - but then i also think that Absynth & Massive are really good to have too.

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:51 am

Reaktor is a Massive CPU hog.

mdk

Post by mdk » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:09 am

i think thats quite misleading.

reaktor isnt just one synth, you can build all manner of things. how much cpu they take depends on what is inside and how its built. Of course there are ensembles / instruments that come with it that can hit the cpu quite hard, but there are also really good things that are quite light

some of the reverbs are suprisingly efficient, like Space Master 2. im running a hand built 3 osc subtractive synth, step sequencer and space master right now and it takes about 4% cpu, despite the fact that its running in XP in a virtual machine in linux ;)

i love reaktor, i've been using it a lot recently, both standalone and within live.

its not cheap, but i dont regret buying it for a second, its really opened up a whole world of creativity for me. The community is great and the user library is to put it bluntly, fucking huge.

btw, there is a bug with reaktor in live that means text input doesnt work properly, but according to the list on the thread in the bugs forum Ableton and NI are working on it, so it should be resolved soon.

so i often build stuff in the standalone then open it up in live when i want to work with it and make some tunes.
Pr0k Records - Bandcamp Facebook Twitter

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:33 am

mdk wrote:i think thats quite misleading.

reaktor isnt just one synth, you can build all manner of things. how much cpu they take depends on what is inside and how its built. Of course there are ensembles / instruments that come with it that can hit the cpu quite hard, but there are also really good things that are quite light

some of the reverbs are suprisingly efficient, like Space Master 2. im running a hand built 3 osc subtractive synth, step sequencer and space master right now and it takes about 4% cpu, despite the fact that its running in XP in a virtual machine in linux ;)

i love reaktor, i've been using it a lot recently, both standalone and within live.

its not cheap, but i dont regret buying it for a second, its really opened up a whole world of creativity for me. The community is great and the user library is to put it bluntly, fucking huge.

btw, there is a bug with reaktor in live that means text input doesnt work properly, but according to the list on the thread in the bugs forum Ableton and NI are working on it, so it should be resolved soon.

so i often build stuff in the standalone then open it up in live when i want to work with it and make some tunes.

This answer was so much better than mine.

:D

get reaktor

esky

Post by esky » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:47 am

Yeah, mdk is right, Reaktor is not just a source, it's everything you want it to be...
But then for instance...last week a Minimoog Emulation appeared in the user library ,so good that i can through out my Arturia...and its for free!

Buy Reaktor, take some time to learn it...you'll be very happy with it....!

mdk

Post by mdk » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:57 am

and while were talking about reaktor, one thing that i dont like is sample management, you have to create these 'sample maps' to use your own samples but the UI for it is a bit rubbish, like an awful version of kontakt.

so i built a tool to generate map files automatically.

its really rough, and at the moment its windows only (unless you have ruby installed and know what youre doing)

but any reaktor users please feel free to try it out and let me know how you get on.

The windows app is here :

http://relivethefuture.com/code/ruby/MapFileBuilder.zip

unzip it, run it then select a folder to find your audio files and a folder to write the sample maps into.
It'll recursively scan your sample directory and build a map file for each directory that contains wav / aif files. (note, the sample data is *not* embedded in the map)

The map file name is built from the 2 directories above the samples, so if you have

c:\samples\drums\machines\707\

you'll get a machines_707.map file which you can load into reaktor.

each sample is mapped to one key, starting from 0.

also if a folder has more than 127 samples it'll create a map file for each block of 127 samples.

you can also get the source code here :

http://relivethefuture.com/code/ruby/Ma ... er-src.zip

to get the source version running you need ruby and wxruby (just gem install wxruby)

comments, suggestions, modifications are all welcome.

its working well for me and it really makes reaktor a hell of a lot more fun being able to easily load in all my own sounds ;)

rozling

Post by rozling » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:26 pm

^ that is cool, I'm totally gonna check that out.

To the original poster, why don't you check out the demo? It's on the Reaktor product page, available for Mac & PC.

I suppose it really depends on what you want it for but I find it great, got it as part of Komplete and probably wouldn't have found a need to fork out for it separately, glad I did though because you can get some very unique sounds out of it

TBH I haven't really bothered with building that much, I just use pre-built stuff at the moment. It's hard to show you the user library stuff but some really, really great stuff comes out there. You will see versions of the included instruments that people have bastardised to include god-knows what functionality, or maybe just tweaked a bit to get better anti-aliasing or whatnot.

Try the demo. You'll probably like it.

rozling

Post by rozling » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:30 pm

Ack, forgot to include the caveat: In Live 7, Keyboard input doesn't work with Reaktor (and many other NI Plugs) and rack macro knobs assignments will be 'forgotten' if you map them directly to Reaktor VST paramaters & load up the rack again.

edit - this works now with the options.txt fix
Last edited by rozling on Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

grok

Post by grok » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:01 pm

mdk wrote:and while were talking about reaktor, one thing that i dont like is sample management, you have to create these 'sample maps' to use your own samples but the UI for it is a bit rubbish, like an awful version of kontakt.

so i built a tool to generate map files automatically.

its really rough, and at the moment its windows only (unless you have ruby installed and know what youre doing)

but any reaktor users please feel free to try it out and let me know how you get on.

The windows app is here :

http://relivethefuture.com/code/ruby/MapFileBuilder.zip

unzip it, run it then select a folder to find your audio files and a folder to write the sample maps into.
It'll recursively scan your sample directory and build a map file for each directory that contains wav / aif files. (note, the sample data is *not* embedded in the map)

The map file name is built from the 2 directories above the samples, so if you have

c:\samples\drums\machines\707\

you'll get a machines_707.map file which you can load into reaktor.

each sample is mapped to one key, starting from 0.

also if a folder has more than 127 samples it'll create a map file for each block of 127 samples.

you can also get the source code here :

http://relivethefuture.com/code/ruby/Ma ... er-src.zip

to get the source version running you need ruby and wxruby (just gem install wxruby)

comments, suggestions, modifications are all welcome.

its working well for me and it really makes reaktor a hell of a lot more fun being able to easily load in all my own sounds ;)
If this works, it's the answer to my prayers. Because this is one of the most irritating aspects of Reaktor. Just dld it will give it a shot
P4 Desktop-Echo Gina-Laptop P4-Motu Ultra Lite-AkaiMFC-Sherman-TeeBee 383-Reaktor-Live 7-Alesis Mk2-Novation Remote-Phat Boy-DBX comp-Korg KaossPad 3-Kaossilator-Akai MPD32

mdk

Post by mdk » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:06 pm

cool. if it doesnt work, let me know and i'll do my best to fix it :)

DrXparaMental

Re: reaktor

Post by DrXparaMental » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:03 pm

stockylocky wrote:Hi all, im thinking of investing in reaktor solely to use with live.... anyone using it successfully or otherwise ?
Al
Reaktor is the bomb, no question. Don't be frightened by all the "it's so damn complex" talk. If you want to use Reaktor as a "shop" to build synths and architect samples, then yeah, I am certain you could spend enough time to merit a doctorate in brain surgery. Thing is, it's as easy as pie to use straight out of the box. I'm a virtual bozo and I have been mangling with it since a week out of the box. The in box presets are enough to keep you busy for months. It's just a SUPER comprehensive and capable synth building and designing play ground. Lotta fun.

rozling

Post by rozling » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:25 pm

mdk wrote:comments, suggestions, modifications are all welcome.

Seems to be working perfectly here, albeit with a delay of about 10s before the UI appears - but I can live with that!

Thank you for this app - this will make Reaktor that bit more accessible which can only be a good thing :)