England!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
forge

England!

Post by forge » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:51 pm

well it's nearly 3 years since we came to the colonies and while on one hand we love it here - lifestyle, weather, great place for kids...etc

on the other hand we miss our families and it feels so far away

having a 6 year old here in Queensland is good - a great place for him, amazing parks and outdoor lifestyle, but for us grown ups having to live and work in the 'real world' we're starting to wonder whether we shouldn't head back for a bit.......

so..those of you still in the UK - tell me your thoughts - are you desperate to escape? or are you happy in Brown's Britain? Is it different now that Tony Bleugh has gone? New exciting future? or just more of the same old miserable, grey, over inflated shit?

Love to hear your thoughts, you zany Abletonians could well sway me one way or the other.

we'd probably go back to Essex or Docklands - somewhere south eastern and greater london or home counties anyway....

Ex-pats down under most welcome to chime in! (Nuperspective I'm looking in your direction! :wink: )

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:59 pm

Yeah, come over and i i'll fill you in.
Last edited by Cryptic UK on Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Drums

andydes

Post by andydes » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:02 pm

Brown's Britain:

Rememebr all the optimism in the country when Tony was first elected. Felt like a fresh start and a new era of social justice and prosperity had started. And all to the sound of really good British music.

Not like that.

Obviously it took a while to realise it wasn't going to be like that, but it felt good for a while.

jamief

Post by jamief » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:04 pm

go over for aholiday but dont move back. Maybe the 7 year itch is on you

forge

Post by forge » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:06 pm

andydes wrote:Brown's Britain:

Rememebr all the optimism in the country when Tony was first elected. Felt like a fresh start and a new era of social justice and prosperity had started. And all to the sound of really good British music.

Not like that.

Obviously it took a while to realise it wasn't going to be like that, but it felt good for a while.
eaxtly... the sheer spectacle of being so conned by that smooth talking, Iraq bombing wanker

evernaut

Post by evernaut » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:09 pm

Yeah, friends n family are the real problem with emigrating that far away. I lived in NZ for two years and, while I much preferred the lifestyle, attitude and environment compared to Blighty...I did miss my mates and family a lot.

That said, I'm keen on heading back down under in the next couple of years...England just isn't my kinda place anymore and I couldn't care less who's in power tbh, it rarely makes any tangible difference.

cavern

Post by cavern » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:11 pm

RAINING. RAIN ALL DAY LONG. AND WIND.

forge

Post by forge » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:15 pm

evernaut wrote: I couldn't care less who's in power tbh, it rarely makes any tangible difference.
oh no me neither...that was more figurative......but I'm keen to hear any 'stay away, you're insane to even think of coming back, it's hell here!' - or 'yes everything is brilliant, there is so much work and the new arm of Brown's special chav squad has decimated the local ASBO populations and made the country great again!'

or something like that....

ciw

Post by ciw » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:21 pm

Brown is just like Blair without the charisma. Don't base your decision on politics.

However take note that if you move to, say, Bristol or somesuch place you can maintain an outdoor and urban lifestyle at the same time :) (bloody southeasterners don't realise what their own country has to offer!) ;)

forge

Post by forge » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:22 pm

cavern wrote:RAINING. RAIN ALL DAY LONG. AND WIND.
:lol:

see this is the big, very bizarre Irony of my situation....we are in Level 6 water restrictions and the worst drought in recorded history, and it get's bloody hot in summer, so I seem to spend an unnatural portion of my time actually wishing for rain

forge

Post by forge » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:29 pm

ciw wrote:Brown is just like Blair without the charisma. Don't base your decision on politics.

However take note that if you move to, say, Bristol or somesuch place you can maintain an outdoor and urban lifestyle at the same time :) (bloody southeasterners don't realise what their own country has to offer!) ;)
essex is really not too bad actually - especially in spring/summer

thing is here there are some really amazing parks - and of course the fantastic coast when we can be arsed with the beach, which is gold when you have kids

it is actually a very good place to bring up kids

but haivng their grandparents nearby is also good.......

brightonalex

Post by brightonalex » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:42 pm

Although England would be better off with you in it, I would stay there. One thing I remember about Australia is how much higher a standard of living you get - people with normal jobs living in these massive houses with views of the Sydney Harbour bridge. Parrots in the trees. Everyone knocks off work at 4 and drinks themselves stupid. Heaven. 8)

jeskola

Re: England!

Post by jeskola » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:42 pm

forge wrote:well it's nearly 3 years since we came to the colonies and while on one hand we love it here - lifestyle, weather, great place for kids...etc

on the other hand we miss our families and it feels so far away

having a 6 year old here in Queensland is good - a great place for him, amazing parks and outdoor lifestyle, but for us grown ups having to live and work in the 'real world' we're starting to wonder whether we shouldn't head back for a bit.......

so..those of you still in the UK - tell me your thoughts - are you desperate to escape? or are you happy in Brown's Britain? Is it different now that Tony Bleugh has gone? New exciting future? or just more of the same old miserable, grey, over inflated shit?

Love to hear your thoughts, you zany Abletonians could well sway me one way or the other.

we'd probably go back to Essex or Docklands - somewhere south eastern and greater london or home counties anyway....

Ex-pats down under most welcome to chime in! (Nuperspective I'm looking in your direction! :wink: )
Dark days on their way here this year. :cry:

forge

Post by forge » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:56 pm

brightonalex wrote:Although England would be better off with you in it, I would stay there. One thing I remember about Australia is how much higher a standard of living you get - people with normal jobs living in these massive houses with views of the Sydney Harbour bridge. Parrots in the trees. Everyone knocks off work at 4 and drinks themselves stupid. Heaven. 8)
:D

it's not so much like that any more - same shit as anywhere, you cant afford to buy a house on an average income and jobs here pay way less than in London

in fact my mum told me she met a bloke in London who was from Brisbane who earns 10 times what he did here

so I guess it's all relative

work is actually one of the main reasons I'm thinking about it -there arent as many options here work wise, and wherever you live on Earth it sucks being poor

forge

Re: England!

Post by forge » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:57 pm

jeskola wrote:
Dark days on their way here this year. :cry:
8O sounds ominous!