NEW Vestax VCM 600 Midi Controller perfect for Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:06 pm

one method of getting around the expense of motorised faders is to show an LED level meter by the side of each fader. The level meter shows where the software fader is currently at, you then use software 'pick-up' when you move the real fader past the LED position.

That would be a cheap and relatively simple method of addressing the lack of any motorised fader / endless encoders. But I don't think they have thought of anything like that, it seems that users will have to guess what the software is doing.

Perhaps if they ever get to a version2 it will include some features like that. They are pretty essential.

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:28 pm

Angstrom wrote:one method of getting around the expense of motorised faders is to show an LED level meter by the side of each fader. The level meter shows where the software fader is currently at, you then use software 'pick-up' when you move the real fader past the LED position.

That would be a cheap and relatively simple method of addressing the lack of any motorised fader / endless encoders. But I don't think they have thought of anything like that, it seems that users will have to guess what the software is doing.

Perhaps if they ever get to a version2 it will include some features like that. They are pretty essential.
Good idea! the controller has reflect the DAW. No?

And as these are as you put it 'pretty essential' then why don't they put them there in the first instance?

It seems like the developers are not musicians/producers, and have their collective gaze focused well outta the ballpark..

Hd

Mike Goodwin

Post by Mike Goodwin » Sun May 11, 2008 1:00 am

For me it would be a live tool. I don't know that I would use it so much in the studio. It could be cool but only as a nice way to get from session to arrange in one swoop. For live use I like that it will feel good in your hands. I like that it is a very clear layout. The eq strip is basically how I have had my controllers mapped out for over a year now, two filters and a two or three band eq. It is great to work this way as opposed to just a three band eq. Also I personally don't use a dedicated trigger grid when I play live I know many other do so I have always wondered about that way of working but it is just now what I have done so far. I move through the tracks and fire things one at a time or just set things up so I can fire off a new row. I drag things into the session as I need them and then launch them. It is not a mackie control. With no scribble strip and motorized faders it would suck in the studio in comparison to a mackie. I personally do not think that is what Vestax had in mind for this unit. All the other units they have built for software are designed for live use I don't see why this one would be any different. It all depends on the price that it comes out at here in the Americas. I figure it will be $8-1000. I do not see this one being cheap. The more simple DJ controllers are about $6-700. A new mackie is about $13-1400 not the same price range.

heavensdaw wrote:
Mike Goodwin wrote:The more I look at this thing the more I can't wait to buy it. I wish they would hurry up and start selling them.
Hi Mike.. What is it about this, thats getting you so....

I was pretty hyped at first, but now I'm not totally sure about it..

The thing that got me most excited was that it is built specifically for Live..

Yes while it prolly would make a decent live performance controller.. I think that like Angstrom points out, it has some potentionally serious drawbacks for studio work..

Not having a dedicated clip trigger grid, endless rotaries, yeah, motorized faders would be nice, Also why 6 faders and (not the more standard) 8..

I'm (like many others it seems) looking for A controller.. One controller. I don't want to have to buy, learn, set up, different ones.. If I can use Live in a live situation and in the studio.. Is it too much to expect to have that flexibility with what I control Live with..

Anyways.....

Best

Hd

drush

Post by drush » Mon May 26, 2008 7:34 pm

maybe was mentioned in this thread and i missed it.. but heard mention that this thing will come pre-mapped to ableton. wonder to what exactly.. besides the obvious.

re motorized vs not, i see this really only as a performance controller. not the center of your studio.

phillytomcat

Post by phillytomcat » Mon May 26, 2008 9:22 pm

http://www.e-noixer.com/ . Now, does this look familiar? I'd hit it. Hella steep price tag I bet

liveplayer

Release pushback...hrmmm...

Post by liveplayer » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:22 pm

http://www.vestax.com/v/info/newsevent/detail.php?id=42

Check it out...they've pushed back the release date on an old news page to Autumn 2008. It used to say Summer 2008. Gotta keep that info consistent for us web scrubbers. And, alas, the product page for the VCM-600 lays vacant except for one gorgeous picture http://pcdj.vestax.com/en/products/vcm600_01.html. I've been waiting for this to come out as it would be the centerpiece of compact studio rig based on Live. xLive ONE anyone? That e*noixer box looks pretty good...
PB G4 1.25Ghz + 1.5GB RAM
Live 7 + Operator & Sampler
Focusrite Saffire LE
A&H Xone:32
Novation ReMOTE 25
Numark TTX
Ms Pinky VSTi

(MB, VCM-600, 25SL & BM6As coming...PB, Xone:32 & 25 going...)

D@VE!

Post by D@VE! » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:12 am

that xLive looks pretty good indeed ! can't wait to test one !

Synchro

Post by Synchro » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:21 pm

Who is this guy ?
nuxxx303
Last Sign In: 5 hours ago

DJing by Ableton Live with VCM-600 (1/2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELf1FJhM6Ec&fmt=18

DJing by Ableton Live with VCM-600 (2/2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiirT9B--Fo&fmt=18

ctx

Post by ctx » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:32 pm

It's this guy, these have been available in Japan for a couple weeks I believe.

http://nuxx303.blog92.fc2.com/

Schuft

Post by Schuft » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:49 am

Hi all,

I got my VCM 600 some days ago. I wrote a first small report in this thread -> http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?p=831313

stallos

Post by stallos » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:58 pm

i was lucky enough to have a shot of one of these at the weekend.

Really nice piece of kit, the faders feels superb and the nobs are are nice and tight. Compared to my UC-33 the feel is excellent and feels much more like a hardware mixer.

Its ideal for a DJ setup, plenty of cope for several channels plus FX

The model i used was the one in the 2nd picture. It seems they ahve done away with having all the lights underneath the nobs which is a real shame. The version I used had 2 led on the side panels but buttons and nobs dont light up.

did this prove too expensive - are there plans to produce the "NAMM" model

maomao

Post by maomao » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:24 pm

stallos wrote: but buttons and nobs dont light up.
make sure the "remote" knob is ON in the Output section of MIDI Prefs. it should work.

might also be that your computer doesn't spit out enough power..
http://www.soundcloud.com/maomao

"one good thing about music is when it hits you feel no pain"

kirillov

Post by kirillov » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:51 am

for me the worst thing about it is that it has no midi out! only one USB connection. first of all its dangerous because if the connection drops you have to restart live (happened to me allready), second its much more handy to chain controllers via midi than using tons of USB hubs etc.
otherwise it really looks cool. but without midi out = no way.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
live 7
thinkpad T500
rme multiface/ cardbuss interface
novation remote 25/ korg padcontroll

Schuft

Post by Schuft » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:40 am

kirillov wrote:for me the worst thing about it is that it has no midi out! only one USB connection. ...
Yes, at least they could have made both available, MIDI via USB and MIDI OUT.
I think one argument for MIDI via USB is that it is faster than native MIDI via a MIDI cable.

maomao

Post by maomao » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:54 am

kirillov wrote:its dangerous because if the connection drops you have to restart live
get a Mac :o
http://www.soundcloud.com/maomao

"one good thing about music is when it hits you feel no pain"