Ableton Booth at NAMM 08 - Disappointing Results

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
leisuremuffin

Re: Ableton Booth at NAMM 08 - Disappointing Results

Post by leisuremuffin » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:36 pm

jackjack wrote:
nebulae wrote:That's when I realized what was wrong...they were saving it for people who could do something for them, not giving 100% to fans, users, and people interested.
Not to be a dick, but I think you are pretty right on. I can't help but love Live but after buying the suite (yeah I gave in) it is once again so obvious how little they care about the users.

So many simple, simple features (not really even features) that they do not add. Small things - usability things. The codebase is not so old that it is too unstable to change them. I'm a developer and understand that is a REAL problem with some products.

But the abes should be able to fix/change some of the small things.

I'm not into live looping but it seems to me like the people who are jump through hoops to get hands free control. Seems one little bit of work by ableton could help them alot in stead of all the midiox, midi-this and that utils they try to run.

reverse button in impulse?

tons of small little "i use this for hours a day" make life better things.

and man, the crappy new "instruments". what a sucky rip.

it sucks.

this is just pure bullshit. whenever i hear this from people, i wonder what other companies they are dealing with that do a better job. Every release has had all of it's new features come directly from this forum. These guys do listen, they can't do everything at once, unfortunately. Ableton involve more of their users in betas than most companies, and even invite some users to their headquarters for soup and homosexual orgies! Well, at least soup.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

C.S.

Post by C.S. » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:42 pm

Isn't NAMM a trade show only for people in the industry? If that is the case I don't think they were out there expecting to do meet and greets with everyday users. In their eyes you were just some schmuck from company x killing time going booth to booth.

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:52 pm

Well, I don't think positive affirmations to Abes is helpful at all. Your money says plenty. I think well introduced criticism like Nebs is in short supply. Kick Abes in the pants, and drum up as much mutinous fanboy support as possible. If you have paid, you have all the right to kick Abe ass. It works much better.

fingerprince

Post by fingerprince » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:53 pm

Nope I agree with Neb.
Should be welcoming to ALL.
Its just simple politeness even if youre having a shit day.
No one person is any more important than any other.
Still it seems to be a modern disease anyway.
Grouchy little old man signs off. :)

Mr_You

Post by Mr_You » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:54 pm

*deleted*
Last edited by Mr_You on Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:55 pm

knotkranky wrote:Well, I don't think positive affirmations to Abes is helpful at all. Your money says plenty. I think well introduced criticism like Nebs is in short supply. Kick Abes in the pants, and drum up as much mutinous fanboy support as possible. If you have paid, you have all the right to kick Abe ass. It works much better.
oh come on,
neb's only two ends of a cunt, we all know that
and lets reserve our criticism for the PRODUCT itself, and not how many high-fives the reps at the namm booth give to creepy/fanatic nobodies like Neb
Last edited by b0unce on Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
spreader of butter

jackjack

Post by jackjack » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:56 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:
jackjack wrote:
nebulae wrote:That's when I realized what was wrong...they were saving it for people who could do something for them, not giving 100% to fans, users, and people interested.
So many simple, simple features (not really even features) that they do not add. Small things - usability things. The codebase is not so old that it is too unstable to change them. I'm a developer and understand that is a REAL problem with some products.

this is just pure bullshit.
Thanks for your detailed and reasoned reply.
leisuremuffin wrote: whenever i hear this from people, i wonder what other companies they are dealing with that do a better job. Every release has had all of it's new features come directly from this forum.
No company is perfect, true. But for example, the poor looper guys (aren't you one of them?) Can't you name a few midi mappings they could add that could eliminate a lot of the bs involved in running all the utils to make the stuff work?

I'm not at all in favor of big changes for small audiences of users. But at times there are simple little things that show me they are not listening or using their own product as much as some users.

They have added new things. But why not give us some small little hits to help workflow etc.

Read all the usually ass-kissing magazine reviews. They all admit to being let down with Live 7.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:56 pm

knotkranky wrote:Well, I don't think positive affirmations to Abes is helpful at all. Your money says plenty. I think well introduced criticism like Nebs is in short supply. Kick Abes in the pants, and drum up as much mutinous fanboy support as possible. If you have paid, you have all the right to kick Abe ass. It works much better.

for your treatment at a trade show? That's kind of silly, i think. But I'm sure abletons marketing guys don't think so, I'm sure they're pissed.

.lm.

fingerprince

Post by fingerprince » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:02 pm

Whiny bastards for the win :)

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:02 pm

jackjack wrote:
leisuremuffin wrote:
jackjack wrote: So many simple, simple features (not really even features) that they do not add. Small things - usability things. The codebase is not so old that it is too unstable to change them. I'm a developer and understand that is a REAL problem with some products.

this is just pure bullshit.
Thanks for your detailed and reasoned reply.
leisuremuffin wrote: whenever i hear this from people, i wonder what other companies they are dealing with that do a better job. Every release has had all of it's new features come directly from this forum.
No company is perfect, true. But for example, the poor looper guys (aren't you one of them?) Can't you name a few midi mappings they could add that could eliminate a lot of the bs involved in running all the utils to make the stuff work?

I'm not at all in favor of big changes for small audiences of users. But at times there are simple little things that show me they are not listening or using their own product as much as some users.

They have added new things. But why not give us some small little hits to help workflow etc.

Read all the usually ass-kissing magazine reviews. They all admit to being let down with Live 7.

I'd love it if ableton implemented sound on sound loooping, or some other live looping solution. And I'm sure they will. I don't expect them to consider my pet requests at the top of the list just because I want them. Choices have to be made on what they add. If they don't add what i want, i don't upgrade. Haven't upgraded to 7 yet, as a matter of fact.

what you consider "a simple addition" might be a complete programing nightmare, how do you know?

of course magazine reviews are ass kissing. Is there a publication on this subject matter you can buy that doesn't kiss every products ass? I don't read those things with the expectation of journalism, i read them as an advertisement.

.lm.

evon

Post by evon » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:08 pm

djadonis206 wrote:
nebulae wrote:
djadonis206 wrote:I wouldn't sweat it - probably caught 'em at a weird time or someone walked out or something completely "off topic" happened and that was what it was

go back in a hour and see if they're still in the same pissy mood

could be a German thing to - I haven't really known to many Germans that were excited about anything other than square spectacles and boxy cars...
No I came back several time and spent a good deal of time there. Also, there were no Germans there at all.

See, I knew it -

oh well, it is what it is - I guess you have to ask the question what can I bring to this situation to make it better

smile, mention my name, show them this picture of Keyshia Cole and be like "What's up gangsta's!!!"

Nice picture..grand instruments?
fe real!

evon

Post by evon » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:14 pm

Nebulae..the Abes must have recognized you somehow..probably somethng you said on one of the forums :o ..or they may have recognized the Live glow on your face..I think you are getting the "family" treatment..you know, somebody they see everyday.
Maybe, it is just a perception on your part.
fe real!

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:15 pm

b0unce wrote:
oh come on,
neb's only two ends of a cunt, we all know that
and lets reserve our criticism for the PRODUCT itself, and not how many high-fives the reps at the namm booth give to creepy/fanatic nobodies like Neb
I don't know Neb, but his point kinda covers what I see as an Abe theme of milking it from the bottom. They'll rest if you give it to them. Their Namm showing is indicative.

Anyway, two ends of a cunt is the depth to the opening? or clit to ass end?

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:18 pm

djadonis206 wrote: could be a German thing to - I haven't really known to many Germans that were excited about anything other than square spectacles and boxy cars...
It is definitely not German thing for simple reason that most if not all Abletonians are as different from stereotypical German as chalk from cheese.
It might be nuyorcino roughness, I suppose the US Ableton employees are Norteamericanos from NY.
Ableton stand on Frankfurt Messe- run by zee Germans obviously- was always one of the most fun and friendly.
I live in Germany for couple of years, and I wish that all Germans were as the Ableton guys, The only exception - the one who invented the mismanagemant system that came with version 6, and the hijacker of edit button. Maybe that is the one Neb met.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:19 pm

Some stuff about the Live codebase
leisuremuffin wrote: I'd love it if ableton implemented sound on sound loooping, or some other live looping solution. And I'm sure they will.
thing is, that would indeed require quite a change in the code base, since it would entail playing two streams of audio at the same time. This is the window through which we will see crossfading in arrangement view, multiple take stacking, and so on. This is the next major change in Live.... which, I might add, some of us have been hoping for for ages...