Drum Rack Returns Question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Bassic Dave

Drum Rack Returns Question

Post by Bassic Dave » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:39 pm

Hello everyone,
I have a drum rack with 3 snares triggering at the same time, slightly off time from each other. Is there any way to send these three pads or chains to one compressor? The returns feature in drum racks seems like a good choice, but that only accepts audio from the sends, a part of the signal not the whole thing. I would just throw a compressor after the rack but I also have my Bass Drum and cymbals in the rack, i only want to compress the snares. Nested drum rack wont work either because I am triggering the snares at different times.
Any ideas geniuses?

-Dave
"Without understanding the working and functions of his machine, man cannot be free, he cannot govern himself and he will always remain a slave." - G.I. Gurdjieff

www.myspace.com/8118beats

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:38 pm

Just turn the sends all the way up, and the rack volumes for each part down all the way?

Bassic Dave

Post by Bassic Dave » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:45 pm

Thanks for your reply.
I tried this, but when you turn down the volume for the chain all the way it stops routing to the sends. It looks like the sends are post-fader in drum racks.
D.
"Without understanding the working and functions of his machine, man cannot be free, he cannot govern himself and he will always remain a slave." - G.I. Gurdjieff

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:52 pm

You can drag the snares out of the drum rack and create new tracks with them...
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

Bassic Dave

Post by Bassic Dave » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:57 pm

mike holiday wrote:You can drag the snares out of the drum rack and create new tracks with them...
This is what i ended up doing... but this is lame.
Is there not a way to put one effect on multiple pads/chains in a rack? If not this is definitely gonna be a feature request from me.

any ideas?
D.

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:58 pm

I'd look into it more, but I'm at the office
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

Nogi

Post by Nogi » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:04 am

Put the 'Utility' plug phase-inverted in parallel with the Compressor on the Drum Rack return track. It will cancel the un-effected part of the signal and turn it into a serial chain in essence. You need to make sure the levels 'Utility' sees are correct to cancel so perhaps leave the sends at 0db and make your level adjustments for each sample elsewhere in their chain.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:41 pm

bah

don't listen to these folks ;)

select the three snares, and right click -> group

they will form a sub-drumrack, and then you can throw the compressor on that rack..

and will not eat up any new tracks or effect the pad mapping. should be accessible via unfolding the inline mixer(s)

Bassic Dave

Post by Bassic Dave » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:10 am

Nogi, thanks for the response but you made my brain implode.
Longjohns.....what can i say......I.....

i love you.

-Bassic D.