NAMM 08 - Nebulae's Report

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
arctic ranger

Post by arctic ranger » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:09 am

djadonis206 wrote:
but there is no way in hell I'm going to vegas with my girl - what the hell

yeah, why bring a sandwich to a full buffet :wink:
mpb c2d, remote sl, mpc1000, korg legacy, zebra 2, phoscyon, devastator

http://soundcloud.com/enrock/first-edit

Landser

Post by Landser » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:20 pm

African software for old people is the future of sound? :ROFL:

chrysalis33rpm

Post by chrysalis33rpm » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:34 pm

Machinesworking wrote: So.... Ableton, great demo, really useful, and the ability to sell Live, Operator etc. if you want/need to. Cycling 74, really nice people in emails, but seriously restrictive rules on the end user with their products. I haven't bought Max/MSP because I don't know if I need it, if I don't, then I'm out the entire cost of the product. Nobody else would be able to benifit from my mis-purchase if I buy it.
I agree on the license tip, although I wouldn't be at all surprised if that changes with Max 5. But you do get a month demo time, and I just went through that period. (I've been a Max owner for about 3 weeks). All I can say is, after a month of demo Max had become essential to my setup.

I didn't do the tutorials, take classes, anything - I dive in sideways and fish out the knowledge that I need to solve a given problem (all I am doing is complicated midi routing). Max's reference manuals are fantastic, and at this point I have only one thing to say :

OSC :!:

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:54 pm

Tarekith wrote:I'm surprised Gerhard didn't strangle you after all the fun fun friday cracks :)
He did try to strangle me with his scarf, but Guillaume Largillier, the CEO of Jazzmutant, came to my rescue.

I mean come on...who wears a scarf in 50 degree LA weather?!?!? ;)

Beats Me and I are heading out to the airport shortly. I'll post the rest of my product pictures when I get home tonight...some incredible stuff that you guys are gonna love!
Last edited by nebulae on Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Image

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:03 pm

chrysalis33rpm wrote: Max's reference manuals are fantastic, and at this point I have only one thing to say :

OSC :!:
Welcome aboard. Have a seat, it's going to be a long ride home .... :(

kenporter

Post by kenporter » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:42 pm

nebulae wrote:
Tarekith wrote:I'm surprised Gerhard didn't strangle you after all the fun fun friday cracks :)
He did try to strangle me with his scarf, but the Guillaume Largillier, the CEO of Jazzmutant, came to my rescue.

I mean come on...who wears a scarf in 50 degree LA weather?!?!? ;)

Beats Me and I are heading out to the airport shortly. I'll post the rest of my product pictures when I get home tonight...some incredible stuff that you guys are gonna love!
But the question is, did you get a t-shirt and laptop bag? ;)

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:08 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
Machinate wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:My biggest complaint about this partnership is the completely different approach to software copy protection that these two companies take. I own Pluggo, I'm not allowed to sell it, it uses PACE or iLock. Max/MSP is the same way. I was trying to buy a copy off of somebody recently, and Cycling 74 completely closed down the end users ability to sell. I wrote them and the reply verified this.
Cycling 74 already confirmed that the registration process is one of the major changes in Max 5... maybe the Ableton/Cycling74 collaboration is just about copy protection? :?
It would be OK =by me if it was that Cycling were learning not how to be assholes about copy protection from Ableton, I just don't want the reverse to be true. :?

Cycling 74 and Audio Ease make great software, and have fucking shitty CP methods. Audio Ease may let you sell, but they only allow one machine to be authorized. :evil:
Everything I've read leads me to believe that Max 5 will be the recipient of most of the fruits of the partnership for the time being, although future versions of Live will probably benefit from it. Zicarelli's articles on Max 5 talk about how Live was a major influence in redesigning Max's gui and making it generally more user friendly. So I think it's a lot more likely that Cycling will adopt a copy protection scheme comparable to the Abes' as the influence from Live seems to be more from the overall user experience it offers than any of its specific audio tech aspects.

nebulae - those Max 5 pics made me squirt, btw.
Unsound Designer

nebulae

Re: NAMM 08 - Nebulae's Report

Post by nebulae » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:02 pm

Man, it's hard to be back...and a little sad now that the high of the show is over. Anyways, here are some more pics and commentary. They'll prolly be out of sequence, but at least you'll see them all :)

Here are the Cycling '74 guys inside the Ableton Booth:
The funny thing is that when I walked up to him and said, "What's Max?" (just to see what he'd say) he said, "It's a total piece of shit software, don't buy it." LOL. Later, he explained that if you don't know what you want to do with it, it's very frustrating, because it can do anything you can think up. But it was a great hook. Great conversation with these guys...and the software is amazing.
Image Image Image Image

nebulae

Re: NAMM 08 - Nebulae's Report

Post by nebulae » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:05 pm

This is Matt Muldover's personal customized controller. Notice how he hacked the keyboard to add several ribbon controllers. The man's performance is literally amazing to watch...he doesn't even look at the screen half the time. Effortless genius!
Last edited by nebulae on Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Image

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:07 pm

No commentary necessary...the man, the legend, Kid Beyond...
Image Image Image Image

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:11 pm

cool photo's - it's always nice to put a face to a name (or a whole company)

reminds me of the WMC

thanks for the photo's - Even though I'm not a gearslut anymore it's still cool

holla

- I'd actually like to meet some you cats on the forum...just to see if you're as tall as I image most of you to be hmmmmmmmmmmm?
Ableton | Elektron

Music

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:19 pm

So after meeting Gerhard, he said he had to meet with Craig Anderton (the American equivalent of Henke...our very own lovable geek). So we headed back to the booth, where, as you can see Gerhard is extremely excited to meet Anderton. Thank god Huston was holding down the fort...

:P Timing...
Last edited by nebulae on Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Image

chrysalis33rpm

Post by chrysalis33rpm » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:22 pm

Thanks for all the reporting, Neb. I can't wait to download Max 5.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:23 pm

Adventurepants....pants of adventure...

Image Image Image Image

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:25 pm

One of my favorite manufacturers, Alesis. They always put out quality low-cost gear, and they help people learn about music with a lower cost of entry, which is always a good thing. Here are some new cool things:

Here's a new mixer. Note the upper right slot for your iPod. Pretty clever, since there are many occasions to mix in your iPod at shows for a variety of reasons:

Here's the SR18, the reincarnation of the SR16 (a totally cheesy drum machine but one that many of us old guys grew up with). This thing sounds really good - nice samples, rich thick drum tones.

Here's a drum pad. Would look really cool on stage at a live electronic show.

Here's a mixer that connects to your PC via USB2. So it doubles as both a sound card and a mixer with preamps. Nice!

Keeping with their low-cost tradition, this controller will likely compete with Mackie's DAW controller.
Last edited by nebulae on Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Image