Switched to Mac - What plugins can I use now?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
basscheck

Switched to Mac - What plugins can I use now?

Post by basscheck » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:17 pm

This is my first post, though I've been trawling these pages for a couple of years.

I've been using Ableton on a shitty-spec PC laptop for a while but just bought a MacBook (Leopard). Ease of use is about 100 times better, but many of my projects have relied on free 3rd party VST FX and instruments. Obviously most of these are useless now. Could someone point me to somewhere I can learn about the difference between PC VSTs, Mac VSTs and Audio Units.
My MacBook has a Plug-Ins folder which contains Components, Digidesign and VST folders. What can I use and where should I put it to build up a new arsenal of sounds?
Any hints would be appreciated.

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:32 pm

You still have a ton of Options, starting with Ableton, then going 3rd party.

Audio Units (AU) are the new format, they go in the components folder.

VSTs work also.

One gotcha is that you have to make sure to get UB (Universal Binary) intel compatible Mac plug ins.

This is a really open question, so it depends on what you need in particular.

One easy answer I can give you is get Computer Music magazine, just to get the bundled Zebra CM, which is amazing!

Also, get Triple Cheese from u-he.com

Also for free, check Automat & Crystal.

My favorite 2 commercial plugins are Zebra 2 & Microtonic.

Many top companies now make Mac plug ins (Linplug, Image Line, Cake Walk, Native Instruments, Rob Papen, etc...).

Check this database, just set it to Mac , Universal Binary and check out instruments and effects.

http://www.kvraudio.com/get.php

No database is totally up to date or accurate tho...
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

basscheck

Post by basscheck » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:43 pm

Thats very helpful. Thanks.