So... plastikman live, how was it?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live

So... plastikman live, how was it?

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:46 pm

tell me some things, how it was, impressed? let down? I wanna know!

euterke

Post by euterke » Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:51 pm

The audience was bit to enthousiastic for nothing... I was in the pit, near the stage... and some people seems to enjoyed it (I remember a guy with a sort of leather cowbow hat - a chance it was not a sombrero).

I didn't dance that much...

I found during is near 3 hours set 2 tracks that I really like... and make me move my butt a lot.

Plastikman in a sence is appropriate to listen, but not to dance.

Most of the time, is was playing with a machinedrum from elektron (from my perspective it was difficult to see if it was a monomachine, cauz he had a huge macintosh screen).

He was using a lot of 909 kick + kit (the sound system was great) with toms for the bass line... In a fact it was more of a drum machine concert...

The light control was some kind of stob and the visual, was in few short time (most of the time, it was reactiv to the musical input, but really minimal).

Maybe he had to much to do... to much pressure...

In conclusion, I was dissapoint.

spiderprod

Post by spiderprod » Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:50 pm

the last 2 times i saw him ,it was disapointing.still the same i can see

drush

Post by drush » Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:40 pm

spiderprod wrote:the last 2 times i saw him ,it was disapointing.still the same i can see
the last two times as in sometime in 1995 and before?

richie hawtin dj'ing, even the extended bit he normally does, is not plastikman live.

and if you had seen any of the pm shows way back when... well, i'd find it hard to believe you were disappointed. but hey, anything's possible.

nyquist

Post by nyquist » Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:56 pm

It is because of the shows way back in the 90s, that my expectations were set so high.

I was expecting a sonic journey, wherein a synth, or some single sound would be tweaked and evolve into something else.

It wasn't like that for me; it didn't really flow. It was just little snippets of this track, mixed in with snippets from another, with no real glue to bind them.

Platiskman set his bar pretty high with all the technology involved in 'Kontrol', and huge props for that aspect, but I wish he would have concentrated a little more on the music, and less on the technology.

Maybe I am getting old, but a dark room, a 101, devilfish, 909, ableton, DP4, and some nice and dirty analogue filters would have done it for me.

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:05 pm

http://www.mbazzy.tk -
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:21 pm

We'll, I was there. and as a true plastikman fan, I would have to say I enjoyed the show. Yes, it could have been better and some things did let me down. But I let those let-downs pass, because I know what was going on behind the scenes. Day after day there was serious problems with the setup. Ranging from midi to hard drive problems, ground loops, computers crashing... I'm sure if things worked out the way they were supposed to, the show would have been completely amazing! the 10-15 min's of blank screen was video computer problems, so it would re-boot, then crash again. The video was minimal, but I though it was cool because it was going in sinc with certain sounds and loops. I'm pretty sure this was a 1 off performance, but if he does plan on doing it more often, I would definitly go again to try and grasp the entire concept, all working. I guess this just shows how un-reliable computers and technology are. Maybe sticking it out with all the old hardware might have been a good idea. Oh, and for those who say mac's rule, he was using a mac, and it was having serious problems. maybe he should have used a pc.

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:59 pm

tit for tat; the video was running on PCs.

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:17 am

Anonymous wrote:tit for tat; the video was running on PCs.
That's what I read too...still, whatever, happens to the best of us

Alex Reynolds

Post by Alex Reynolds » Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:08 am

muthafunka wrote:
Anonymous wrote:tit for tat; the video was running on PCs.
That's what I read too...still, whatever, happens to the best of us
Even the best of us using PCs...

I have to agree Hawtin put together a rather disappointing set. There seemed only one part that really was sonically and visually very interesting and that was the few minutes during the two-sphere-bouncing-with-little-particles bit. And the two hour wait for him to start really made the disappointment that much greater.

That said, if Canada hasn't legalized pot already I'd have never known, people whipping out big fat joints in front of cops on St Catherine Street, outside the show, the smell of ganja on practically every street corner my entire trip.

-Alex